Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it common for cows to be bred by her father?

Options
  • 11-07-2018 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭

Does this happen and is it common practice?

I would have thought not but reading online seems to be OK.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,010 ✭✭✭emaherx

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Does this happen and is it common practice?

I would have thought not but reading online seems to be OK.

Would be quite undesirable to have inbred cattle, so definitely not common practice. What have you read online that makes you think it's OK?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

You'd be amazed at the amount of inbreeding there is in cattle. A limousin bull sold recently for big money in the UK. He had the bull Vantastic appear twice in his immediate breeding.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭High bike

You'd be amazed at the amount of inbreeding there is in cattle. A limousin bull sold recently for big money in the UK. He had the bull Vantastic appear twice in his immediate breeding.
    What do u consider immediate breeding Patsy how many generations back...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Would not be common at all in cattle, it's done in some places in America to check for genetic abnormalities I think but that's about it. If you've able to use a different bull why bother chancing or allowing it to happen.

Fairly prevalent in racehorses though, you could see the same stallion crop up 2/3 times across the breeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

There’s a big difference between inbreeding and line breeding.

I successfully inbred for three generations, but after that problems started to appear.

If you inbreed for 6 generations, the 7th generation could be a ‘new’ breed...angus, Hereford etc etc.

Rule of thumb. When you inbreed once, go ‘out’ twice, and back ‘in’ again iykwim...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

I successfully inbred for three generations, but after that problems started to appear.

If you inbreed for 6 generations, the 7th generation could be a ‘new’ breed...angus, Hereford etc etc.

Rule of thumb. When you inbreed once, go ‘out’ twice, and back ‘in’ again iykwim...

The only difference between line breeding and inbreeding is whether it works or not if you're talking about doing it deliberately.

High bike wrote: »
    What do u consider immediate breeding Patsy how many generations back...

Can't find the article now, but it was a high profile sale over in Carlisle. Vantastic featured twice within 3 generations I think. He was the Sire and also the Grandsire of the Dam, I think.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 9,232 ✭✭✭tanko

As long as one bull doesnt make up more than 50% or maybe even slightly more of the calf it wont be a problem.
    Have a cow here whose morher and father were bred of the same bull, she was an accident but is perfectly normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭TPF2012

We have a heifer calf this year that we think the mothers bull calf from last year sired. So son and mother combination.Would you keep the heifer for breeding, nice simmental heifer.

Any I have here with inbreeding, all have poor feet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 p dogg

Any I have here with inbreeding, all have poor feet.

Hello all, there is some great information being given on farming boardsies so thanks in advance. I have been wondering lately about this very topic.
    Currently we are in suckling with 40 cows running with a Simmental bull. My question is this:
    I have traced his breeding, he is a hillcrest champion son so 25 per cent Gretnahouse Supersonic so daughters of my stockbull will be 12 and half per cent Ghs.
    I have a seriously stylish Curaheen Earp weanling bull pbnr bred ourselves that I have traced his breeding and he is 10 per cent Ghs.
    So going by that could I be able to use him as a future stockbull to breed with my current stockbull daughters given that a cross between the two is at 22 and half per cent.he is a smashing animal but if it was risky I might not keep him. Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

p dogg wrote: »
    Hello all, there is some great information being given on farming boardsies so thanks in advance. I have been wondering lately about this very topic.
    Currently we are in suckling with 40 cows running with a Simmental bull. My question is this:
    I have traced his breeding, he is a hillcrest champion son so 25 per cent Gretnahouse Supersonic so daughters of my stockbull will be 12 and half per cent Ghs.
    I have a seriously stylish Curaheen Earp weanling bull pbnr bred ourselves that I have traced his breeding and he is 10 per cent Ghs.
    So going by that could I be able to use him as a future stockbull to breed with my current stockbull daughters given that a cross between the two is at 22 and half per cent.he is a smashing animal but if it was risky I might not keep him. Thanks again
    Seeing as only half the genetic material from each side is passed on, the level of crossbreeding would only be half that, ie 11.25%

In dairy stock, any inbreeding of 6.25% is flagged before AI and the farmer is asked if he wishes to proceed. The risks would be small but I would be reluctant to breed at that level of inbreeding.

Seeing as only half the genetic material from each side is passed on, the level of crossbreeding would only be half that, ie 11.25%

In dairy stock, any inbreeding of 6.25% is flagged before AI and the farmer is asked if he wishes to proceed. The risks would be small but I would be reluctant to breed at that level of inbreeding.
    i checked with icbf and the Irish limousin society re inbreeding and that's the answer I got too if it's less than 6.25% work away

i checked with icbf and the Irish limousin society re inbreeding and that's the answer I got too if it's less than 6.25% work away

Thanks for the replies folks, there about 3 or 4 years ago I was at the Knockane Simmental dispersal sale and there was several animals there that day that I noticed had close inbreeding, way way more than 6.25percent some definitely up at 25 to 30. It didn't take away from the stock. They were serious quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

Thanks for the replies folks, there about 3 or 4 years ago I was at the Knockane Simmental dispersal sale and there was several animals there that day that I noticed had close inbreeding, way way more than 6.25percent some definitely up at 25 to 30. It didn't take away from the stock. They were serious quality.

Maybe not visually but you can't be sure what else is going on. I find pedigree beef cattle not as hardy as commercials and the fertility can be a nightmare. This can happen in commercials too but inbreding multiples any inherited defects so I'm not a fan. Just look at what inbreeding has done to dogs, German Shepherds, Pugs, Cavalier King Charles Spaniels to name a few with multiple inherited diseases/deformities.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

The auld fella used to breed alot of greyhounds, the best dogs in general would be from the a small amount of sires. Hence Australian dogs such as Brett lee through ai became widespread to avoid inbreeding, also a rare time breeders might cross with a coursing dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Now and again we’ve had cows bulled by their father. I remember feet and joint problems but fantastic cattle. Any suspected heifers aren’t bred on. Had the same bull 10 seasons but he’s away on now so not an issue.
    We’ve never done it before but I checked any bills we’ve bought to see if there’s any link between them and the old bull. Thankfully not. I’d try to stay clear but if the experts reckon it’s ok then up to you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Interesting. How do you mean by the rule of thumb-so if you had a heifer out of a son bulling the mother, if you kept a granddaughter of her then you could bull her to the original bull that bulled his mother? What is the ‘official’ of definite difference between line breeding and in breeding?

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Angus2018

The father has a story of a cow being bulled by her father by accident. Result was a costly ciserian and a very deformed dead calf.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Angus2018 wrote: »
    The father has a story of a cow being bulled by her father by accident. Result was a costly ciserian and a very deformed dead calf.

Better staying clear esp that close! Plenty of good bulls out there without that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Be fine, but remember that you can't use a nr bull for the bdgp if your in it.

Be fine, but remember that you can't use a nr bull for the bdgp if your in it.

I think you might be wrong about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

tanko wrote: »
    I think you might be wrong about that.

He has to be beef breed and genotyped 4 or 5 stars

He has to be beef breed and genotyped 4 or 5 stars

True but doesnt have to be pbr i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

tanko wrote: »
    True but doesnt have to be pbr i think.

Ya doesnt matter if hes even purebred just had to be a beef breed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Interesting. How do you mean by the rule of thumb-so if you had a heifer out of a son bulling the mother, if you kept a granddaughter of her then you could bull her to the original bull that bulled his mother? What is the ‘official’ of definite difference between line breeding and in breeding?

Line breeding is where a certain sire or dam appears on both sides of the pedigree. Very effective way of ensuring the continuation of a certain trait in the line.
    In breeding is mother-son, father daughter etc. Excellent way of ‘refining’ the traits that you’re after. Downside is you’re also refining any bad/undesirable traits and concentrating them. Inbreeding can also bring out any temperamental issues.

Ya doesnt matter if hes even purebred just had to be a beef breed
    correct doesn't have to be purebred just needs to be 4or 5 star beef bred

correct doesn't have to be purebred just needs to be 4or 5 star beef bred

No we didn't enter the bdgs, probably should have though. I was looking at an article there and it said that in the USA 80 per cent of the entire population of cattle are 8 to 10 percent inbred. That's some amount of cattle

No we didn't enter the bdgs, probably should have though. I was looking at an article there and it said that in the USA 80 per cent of the entire population of cattle are 8 to 10 percent inbred. That's some amount of cattle
    suppose if they'r not too close it doesn't really matter

• Advertisement

suppose if they'r not too close it doesn't really matter

Advertisement