Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is it so hard to get a teaching job and why are teachers so underpaid

Options
  • 11-07-2018 2:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

Are there just too many trained teachers and not enough jobs or is it something else?
    I just remember in the 90's and early 2000's a teaching profession was seen as a very respectable job and a financially secure career with potential for progression. Whats changed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Are there just too many trained teachers and not enough jobs or is it something else?
    I just remember in the 90's and early 2000's a teaching profession was seen as a very respectable job and a financially secure career with potential for progression. Whats changed?

In two words .......... "Haddington road". During the recession the government decided to try cut teachers wages. So in a brokered agreement. So what happened the established Teachers kept their pay and benefits while the younger teachers/trainee teacher got burned.

They lost their full time contracts, summer pay, pension got affected. It was a right mess. It lead to a decreased quality of students seeking teaching. Teaching has got a lot harder with family life breakdown and diversity in the class room, discipline in the class room, failed parenting strategies...... I could go on.

On the otherhand younger teachers are running off to the middle east to teach (English, STEM in demand) which leads to a massive drop in qualified teachers as if there wasnt a shortage before particularily physics.

The difference in pay is about Ireland €30k plus pay tax, rent, no chance of a mortgage, health care and car ownership is pricy on a temp contract and no summer pay. The first question at your first interview is what experience do you have?

In the middle east starting pay is €60k no tax, paid accomodation and health care, 40 days paid holiday. how are you supposed to compare the two? The first interview you have they ask how fast can you get out there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

In two words .......... "Haddington road". During the recession the government decided to try cut teachers wages. So in a brokered agreement. So what happened the established Teachers kept their pay and benefits while the younger teachers/trainee teacher got burned.

They lost their full time contracts, summer pay, pension got affected. It was a right mess. It lead to a decreased quality of students seeking teaching. Teaching has got a lot harder with family life breakdown and diversity in the class room, discipline in the class room, failed parenting strategies...... I could go on.

On the otherhand younger teachers are running off to the middle east to teach (English, STEM in demand) which leads to a massive drop in qualified teachers as if there wasnt a shortage before particularily physics.

The difference in pay is about Ireland €30k plus pay tax, rent, no chance of a mortgage, health care and car ownership is pricy on a temp contract and no summer pay. The first question at your first interview is what experience do you have?

In the middle east starting pay is €60k no tax, paid accomodation and health care, 40 days paid holiday. how are you supposed to compare the two? The first interview you have they ask how fast can you get out there?

Well not quite brokered in haddington road

taken from another thread...
    That is simply untrue.
    The union and its membership signed up to the Croke Park Agreement, and then, mid Agreement, when the ability to strike was off the table, the Public Accounts Committee as well as FEMPI legislation from Dail floor were brought in and that's where the new pay scales came from.

They are so desperate for science teachers they are advertising automatic entry onto science degrees through doing the equivalent of you doing your Higher Diploma before you enter the course, in the hopes you will take up science teaching. I think it will lower the standard of teaching and lower the standard of students as seen with the 20% pass rate for the Junior Cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

They are so desperate for science teachers they are advertising automatic entry onto science degrees through doing the equivalent of you doing your Higher Diploma before you enter the course, in the hopes you will take up science teaching. I think it will lower the standard of teaching and lower the standard of students as seen with the 20% pass rate for the Junior Cert.

Wow. Where did you come across this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

Is that 60k no tax thing actually true? From what I have read and seen they pretty much get paid the same as they would here, if not a little less but the no tax, or reduced tax, paid accommodation, travel expenses, health care etc. is the draw for them and makes it worth going as you can save pretty much all of your payslip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭keoclassic

Is that 60k no tax thing actually true? From what I have read and seen they pretty much get paid the same as they would here, if not a little less but the no tax, or reduced tax, paid accommodation, travel expenses, health care etc. is the draw for them and makes it worth going as you can save pretty much all of your payslip.

No thats not true, its actually better pay than in ireland, with the main incentive being that you are not taxed on earnings and rent allowances/flight allowances are included. You can also qualify for a bonus after service periods based on ones contract.

Corkgirl18 wrote: »
    Wow. Where did you come across this?

Maynooth are doing it. Do the first year and you are almost guaranteed entry to the science degree.
    http://apps.maynoothuniversity.ie/courses/?TARGET=QUALIFICATION&MODE=VIEW&QUALIFICATION_CODE=SCEDP&SUBJECT_CODE=&OFFERING_CODE=U_HONS_DEGREES

https://www.worldteachers.net/job/physics-teacher-aug-2018-middle-east-doha,-qatar-2785.aspx

Benefits and salary package:

Tax-free salary, dependent on experience
    Free un-shared fully furnished apartment
    Annual flights
    Shipping allowance
    Health cover

any accomodation here is 12k a year
    any health care is 3k a year
    Tax is about 6k?
    Dont start on the price of transport.
    Breaks your heart and us paying sky high taxes and very little return or value for money on it

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭keoclassic

Its still not 60k a year. If it was, i would have went myself a few years ago.Things that sound too good to be true.......

keoclassic wrote: »
    Its still not 60k a year. If it was, i would have went myself a few years ago.Things that sound too good to be true.......

https://www.gooverseas.com/blog/teaching-in-uae-salary

Well that is the upper end of the market and you only work 20 hours a week so with grinds.......... its not far off it. Loads of young new grad arts students and assistant lecturers were racing out there a few years back. My associate that did it was on pittance part time with a large IT but he loved teaching Engineering. He got his full job as a full time lecturer, a say in what the college spent money on for his department, petrol was cheap and he was buy a muscle car from America after 6 months.

You probably have your job pensionable and full time, mortgage sorted and what not. Others have no hope under current salaries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

It's difficult to say why it's hard to get a teaching job except that everyone is different and it depends on location/experience and other factors.

TheDriver wrote: »
    It's difficult to say why it's hard to get a teaching job except that everyone is different and it depends on location/experience and other factors.

My principal is looking for Geography teacher teaching Adult education. Its not clear why she cant get one is it supply and demand or she just doesnt have the budget for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Maynooth are doing it. Do the first year and you are almost guaranteed entry to the science degree.
    http://apps.maynoothuniversity.ie/courses/?TARGET=QUALIFICATION&MODE=VIEW&QUALIFICATION_CODE=SCEDP&SUBJECT_CODE=&OFFERING_CODE=U_HONS_DEGREES
    https://www.gooverseas.com/blog/teaching-in-uae-salary

Well that is the upper end of the market and you only work 20 hours a week so with grinds.......... its not far off it.

Jesus you're spouting some ****e.

The degree in Maynooth has existed for years. It was a four year teacher training degree, same structure as many of the other teacher training degrees in other colleges around the country. When the dip went to two years a couple of years ago, the colleges offering teacher training degrees had to change their structure too. So Maynooth still offers the degree as a four year option, and if students want to bail out after four years they can. If they want to stay on and become a teacher they complete the fifth year.

So it's not a free year for anyone or a free for all.

You started out claiming the salary in the middle east was 60k and in your latest post above it's changed to '20 hours teaching plus grinds and you're not far off it'

Those are two different types of employment. If you're going to compare the two jobs, compare like with like. Middle East is a bit of a unique case anyway with the lack of taxation there, you can say the name about nurses and engineers heading out there to work. It would be far more comparable perhaps to compare the earning power of an Irish teacher and a UK teacher, or one in any other EU country for that matter.

And teachers still do get paid for their summer holidays if they have a year long contract.

Jesus you're spouting some ****e.

The degree in Maynooth has existed for years. It was a four year teacher training degree, same structure as many of the other teacher training degrees in other colleges around the country. When the dip went to two years a couple of years ago, the colleges offering teacher training degrees had to change their structure too. So Maynooth still offers the degree as a four year option, and if students want to bail out after four years they can. If they want to stay on and become a teacher they complete the fifth year.

So it's not a free year for anyone or a free for all.

You started out claiming the salary in the middle east was 60k and in your latest post above it's changed to '20 hours teaching plus grinds and you're not far off it'

Those are two different types of employment. If you're going to compare the two jobs, compare like with like. Middle East is a bit of a unique case anyway with the lack of taxation there, you can say the name about nurses and engineers heading out there to work. It would be far more comparable perhaps to compare the earning power of an Irish teacher and a UK teacher, or one in any other EU country for that matter.

And teachers still do get paid for their summer holidays if they have a year long contract.

"If", I have heard them complain that, they are being kept on temporary status. The new hires arent covering all the summer months. A few years ago during the recession, they had this "craic" called JobsBridge where newly qualified teachers would work for their experience for the equivalent of "social welfare + €5" a week. Some took it and some teachers refused. If you did your 4 years and were of good standard you deserved a proper job. There is nothing more demoralising than having done your study and working and being paid an excuse of a wage.

The difference between an engineer and teacher is the teacher hasnt had their salary and status being reduced over the last few years. That is the point I am making that they are two very different systems and one is more infinitely more attractive than another for a first day hire.

I never said that Maynooth was unique but it was the one that was being marketed heavily to me and my class mates.

Coming from a disadvantaged background, minority non traditional teaching background it is a much easier access than to compete with 18 year old leaving certs and get 430 points than it is a much easier access route.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Behind the scenes those administering and teaching on B.Ed's in science will gladly admit that those candidates are not learning anywhere near the same material as those doing a science degree and the B.Ed is in fact far inferior.

My unpopular opinion is that B.Ed's for non practical subjects are much inferior.

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Behind the scenes those administering and teaching on B.Ed's in science will gladly admit that those candidates are not learning anywhere near the same material as those doing a science degree and the B.Ed is in fact far inferior.

My unpopular opinion is that B.Ed's for non practical subjects are much inferior.

B.Eds are different in each university. Some science B.Eds for example, do the exact same modules 1st - 3rd year as a science degree except for one education module in 2nd and 3rd year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Isn't the BEd in Science 5 years?

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    Isn't the BEd in Science 5 years?

You can do a 4 year concurrent degree

Mardy Bum wrote: »

We are not talking about B Ed, we are talking about BSc. So its not really the same thing. The US Army considers the B Ed its second least desirable degree after Agriculture

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Talk to your senior colleagues on why it's difficult to get a job. If there's any confusion ask them to look in the mirror.

And on the second part, teachers are overpaid (way overpaid) rather than underpaid, but you are right it is a very humble profession to pursue and I commend anyone doing it, but the wages need to drop and the pension liability needs to be tackled. There's also a lot of good things we could be getting teachers to do to elongate the day, and get value from them, including during the summer, but the first phase has to be to lower the wage bill for the incumbents and get the young teachers into jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Young teachers should start a new union, the old guard sold them out to maintain their generous pensions.

We are not talking about B Ed, we are talking about BSc. So its not really the same thing. The US Army considers the B Ed its second least desirable degree after Agriculture

I think that's more to do with the US Army profiling system than the content or quality of the BEd.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

It's a lifestyle career choice, highly desirable, with shorter working hours and longer paid holidays. Highly desirable careers generally pay less, as there is no shortage of willing workers. That's about it really.

Young teachers should start a new union, the old guard sold them out to maintain their generous pensions.

That's one I've never heard before.
    I'm a little shocked to hear this TBH.
    What's the reasoning behind that?

I think that's more to do with the US Army profiling system than the content or quality of the BEd.

No it has to do with the amount of mental effort put into attaining an Educational degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

The difference in pay is about Ireland €30k plus pay tax, rent, no chance of a mortgage, health care and car ownership?

Salary of 30k and no change of a mortgage...I earn 26k and got a mortgage last year

No it has to do with the amount of mental effort put into attaining an Educational degree.

You know so many things skooterblue2, you must have had great teachers.

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Salary of 30k and no change of a mortgage...I earn 26k and got a mortgage last year

3.5x26 is about 100k.
    Where did you get a gaffe for that amt?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

3.5x26 is about 100k.
    Where did you get a gaffe for that amt?

Not everyone lives in Dublin. Also given that you need to have a deposit the poster could have bought something worth more than 100k. According to Daft there are currently 13 houses and 2 apartments for sale in the town I live in for under 125k. Houses are typically 3-4 bed. Town only has a population of 2500 so that's a considerable number of houses. It's a low salary but it goes further in some counties than others.

• Advertisement

You know so many things skooterblue2, you must have had great teachers.

Not my words, the US Army. despite perceptions they have put massive efforts of time and money into investing in Psychology since after WW1 when units were diversifying.

Advertisement