Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Octopath Traveler

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I really must get around to giving the demo a go.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

My young fella was gobsmacked by it, he didn't play the demo but loved the Bravely titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

OSI wrote: »
    About an hour and half in (kids, always getting in the way eh?) and it's quite fun, enjoying it. First boss down and I'm looking forward to more. This isn't a genre I typically dip my toes into, but the demo piqued my interest, kinda reminds me of classic Pokemon.

Tell me about it! I got the 3 hours from the demo but I've only gotten about 30 mins on the full games, to the point where I've just started on my fourth party member. I really must try to get some time put aside for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Well, met what could be considered a "special enemy"
    Met a Cait in the Riverlands at around Danger Lvl 11, looks like a cat with a sack over its shoulder running away. Summoned a archer who hit it for 5 or 6 hits of 1 damage and it died (maybe meant to be one of those runs in first round or high EVA type enemies). End of battle, earned 3000 gold and 1100 exp when most other battles at this stage give about 200 gold and 80 exp, all chars got 2 to 4 levels instantly.

Otherwise, just got Pimrose so only Therion and Alfyn left to recruit. After that....no idea which story to continue first :p

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Met a Cait in the Riverlands at around Danger Lvl 11, looks like a cat with a sack over its shoulder running away. Summoned a archer who hit it for 5 or 6 hits of 1 damage and it died (maybe meant to be one of those runs in first round or high EVA type enemies). End of battle, earned 3000 gold and 1100 exp when most other battles at this stage give about 200 gold and 80 exp, all chars got 2 to 4 levels instantly.

Otherwise, just got Pimrose so only Therion and Alfyn left to recruit. After that....no idea which story to continue first :p

Have fought that enemy a few times, most having done 3 damage (could have been two) but have never defeated them yet. Need to think of accuracy over damage and some multi-hit attacks (like Olberics Thousand Spears attack) to get them before they flee.

Have Olberic, Tressa, Primrose, Alfyn and now getting Therion. Going to go back through some towns and see if I can pick off a few side-quests and better equipment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Soulstones never miss, so using a medium one will kill them, that is what I have been doing anyway, you will have fun with Alfyns boss, at the level scale I took it on at it was the only drawn out battle I have had so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 WithTheRanks

I've got all the characters and started off towards the lowest recommended level 2nd chapter. I stumbled on one of the
    shrines for the secondary jobs
    , now I've forgotten the chapters to go exploring for more.

Rhyme wrote: »
    Have fought that enemy a few times, most having done 3 damage (could have been two) but have never defeated them yet. Need to think of accuracy over damage and some multi-hit attacks (like Olberics Thousand Spears attack) to get them before they flee.
    Xenji wrote: »
    Soulstones never miss, so using a medium one will kill them, that is what I have been doing anyway, you will have fun with Alfyns boss, at the level scale I took it on at it was the only drawn out battle I have had so far.

Yeah, met a 2nd one, used Alfyns Concoct to make a basic attack item that hit. So now everyone is almost level 18...except Therion, just started the manor so hes sitting at lvl 3.

Yeah, met a 2nd one, used Alfyns Concoct to make a basic attack item that hit. So now everyone is almost level 18...except Therion, just started the manor so hes sitting at lvl 3.

I've found that the missions scale a bit (one level either side) so having a lvl. 1 character with a beefy squad means that the lvl. one person levels up quite quickly. I'm near the end of Therion's first mission and he's lvl. 7 or 8 already.

I'll try a soulstone on Cait next time. Want that sweet, sweet exp.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,820 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Just got this for £34 on Amazon after getting a free £10 gift card. Looking forward to getting stuck into it now.

• Advertisement

After playing 20 hours now, still no sign of this supposed random encounters lasting 10+ minutes

Load of waffle or they walked into a level 30 area with a level 10 character

OSI wrote: »
    I have had one encounter that took about 10 minutes alright, but that was certainly a major outlier.

Has anyone had any issues with Therion's HP Thief skill? I've found that on the odd occasion it gives significantly less HP that it's supposed to. eg The attack will deal 300+ HP and he'll only get 7 :confused:

You would need to make sure his element magic is at a higher level.
    I don't think it works direct damage to HP conversion. It's a percentage of the damage done.
    Also based on critical I think.

Not sure if i'ts been mentioned but Octopath has sold out on Physical Copies!

All characters acquired but want to explore and dig into what I've seen already before moving onto the characters second chapters. Might do all the side quests I've found so far as well. Lovely little stories that flesh out the world and the music is amazing.

Beat one of the Cait guys as well. A big wallop of money and experience. My highest person (Olberic) is now lvl. 25 trickling down to Ophilia at lvl. 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Nah, still a good few in Gamestop:
    https://www.gamestop.ie/StoreLocator/Index?productId=62053&variantType=New

A handful in Argos:
    http://checkargos.com/product/8065133

A few around the country in Smyths (click "Change Store" to see stocks)
    https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/new-video-games-out-now-/octopath-traveler-nintendo-switch/p/166059

Rhyme wrote: »
    All characters acquired but want to explore and dig into what I've seen already before moving onto the characters second chapters. Might do all the side quests I've found so far as well. Lovely little stories that flesh out the world and the music is amazing.

I just travelled the path to each of the Chapter 2 cities, mostly Danger Level 17 so good exp gathering along the way. Also going round and using the other characters in starter towns to Inquire/Purchase/Steal :D

It sounds like it's blown out their expectations. Outsold Bravely Default and BD2's total sales on it's first day (though different platform situations of course)

Only in Japan.

So heres a question for everyone: what 2nd jobs are you giving to everyone? Its damn hard to figure out good pairings, and the fact you keep unlocked support skills from each job means theres a ton you can do to build different styles (eg give Olberic Cover, the overheal from Cleric and then Eye for an Eye from Dancer to make a tank that has a huge health pool and counter-attacks when hit).

I haven't gone too deep into the secondary jobs yet (and still have some to unlock). I'm liking Ophelia (my main character) with the Dancer job. Let's her throw out buffs for the damage dealers when she's not healing, and it means she can hit light and dark for weaknesses/dealing some damage herself.

• Advertisement

Accolades trailer below. This game is just superb. Struggled last night though. I was doing the chapter 1 for my third character (Olberic) and the boss was a struggle. Had to use about 10 olives to revive party members - the main guy's purple attack was enough to wipe out a party member who wasn't at full health. I think I had a bad combination of characters (against the boss's vulnerabilities). I still beat him first try though.

Not a spoiler, but I've heard advice that you need to have all characters at a fairly even level for the endgame. Don't neglect leveling certain characters instead of your favourites or you will regret it later. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I'm enjoying the gameplay of this but the story is overpoweringly bland. I'm on pretty strong meds at the minute so it doesn't help.
    I don't like that I have to cross the map on foot yet the characters have little to no interaction once you meet. Takes you right out of the journey.

Ah I don't think so. They're standalone stories (with helpers!)
    The stories themselves stand up well (maybe some are weaker than others) but if you think about it as 8 separate adventures, you can't go far wrong.

ERG89 wrote: »
    I'm enjoying the gameplay of this but the story is overpoweringly bland. I'm on pretty strong meds at the minute so it doesn't help.
    I don't like that I have to cross the map on foot yet the characters have little to no interaction once you meet. Takes you right out of the journey.

Have you experienced the banter options that appear, no messing either ha

It prompts you on the screen to press the + button

Then characters speak to each other and about their various quests

Well I have finished up all the chapter 2's, I am enjoying the game, but it was all done better in Seiken Densetsu 3, the break system is the only real difference and the extra weapon options.

Combat is very straight forward so far, no need for buffs and debuffs on any enemies, getting all the second classes after the first chapter means you will always be able to exploit at least 2 weaknesses for each enemy, plus I seem to be overleveled now without any grinding.

The story is a bit shallow, but some of the interactions are quite amusing and I am glad they have a fast travel system in the game when hoping over and back with chapters and sidequests.

My favorite part of the game is the soundtrack, find myself going back to certain areas to listen to the music, the environments look great as well, although a bit more variance in dungeons would be nice.

Looking forward to getting the hidden jobs next if I can, some look to add great synergy.

What you mean second classes? You mean hidden jobs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Seems to be sold out in Smyth's from looking online. Anyone had success just from going into the stores?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,820 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Cina wrote: »
    Seems to be sold out in Smyth's from looking online. Anyone had success just from going into the stores?

http://www.checkargos.com/product/8065133

Have you tried Argos? Mine is arriving today from Amazon after ordering last Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

TitianGerm wrote: »
    http://www.checkargos.com/product/8065133

Have you tried Argos? Mine is arriving today from Amazon after ordering last Tuesday.

Yeah but I'm a tightarse and it's a fiver cheaper in Smyths :)

Amazon seems to be sold out unfortunately.

Guess I'll have to bite the bullet and try Argos!

• Advertisement

What you mean second classes? You mean hidden jobs?

I mean the 8 shrine jobs, getting them after doing the first set of chapters makes the game so much easier, you can get them very quickly by having Cyrus and having Evasive Maneuvers active.

Advertisement