Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Octopath Traveler

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Mr E wrote: »
    Early Friday morning I think.

I would say that Smyth's will be the cheapest B&M.

50 on the site, Smyths don't accept one for all vouchers?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Ah right. Nope, they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

So who are people going to pick as their main, can't decide between Ophelia or Tressa.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

Xenji wrote: »
    So who are people going to pick as their main, can't decide between Ophelia or Tressa.
    I'm going to be monumentally boring and set off with Olberic as the spine of my team. Tressa is just north of him so that'll be my duo for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,820 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I played as the thief in the demo and I enjoyed his arc/skills a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Forgot all about this :) going to pick it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

50 on the site, Smyths don't accept one for all vouchers?

I can only see a digital only copy of it for 50

ERG89 wrote: »
    I can only see a digital only copy of it for 50

https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/video-games-and-tablets/new-games-coming-soon/coming-soon-nintendo-switch/octopath-traveler-nintendo-switch/p/166059

Do they not give €5 off when you pre-order for store collection?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I don't see a preorder button there...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Just finished the 3 hour demo, and went with the odd combo of the Hunter, Thief and the Apothecary dude. Time ran out as I was going for the fourth, so I'll get back onto that from Friday :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

OSI wrote: »
    They stop taking pre-orders about 2-3 days before the actual release.

Bugger

When is the review embargo up?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

When is the review embargo up?

Probably late tonight/tomorrow morning.

Tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,819 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Seems there are copies already out in the wild. Supposedly it has been leaked, so beware of spoilers

Review Embargo is up. Reviews should start appearing this hour.

Nintendo Life: 9/10
    IGN: 9.3
    Gamespot: 8
    Eurogamer: Recommended
    Kotaku
    Engadget
    The Verge
    Polygon
    US Gamer

The game is so big that some reviews are still WIP and have no scores. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

The game design, soundtrack and battle system are being praised which is not surprising, but story issues, lack of character interaction and repetitiveness seem to be the main criticisms.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

The game design, soundtrack and battle system are being praised which is not surprising, but story issues, lack of character interaction and repetitiveness seem to be the main criticisms.

I'm not super fussed about the story issues - it's pretty much impossible to have a cohesive story with 8 different optional parts. Hell, Telltale can't even do it when they have a defined "choice" structure [still bitter that my Batman Chapter 5 began with the choice that I didn't make, rendering all my other choices moot] - While it's disappointing that there's not an overall story that they link into, the three characters I played in the demo were interesting enough that I'm going to assume that the other 5 are going to be as good, and that will do me.

So, is this the current "game to buy" on the switch?
    I've been thinking of picking a game up and I'm looking at Wolfenstein II, Cap Toad, DK:TF and a couple of others.
    While I'm not a fan of RPGs this looks sufficiently interesting to carry me along.
    And, at worst, at least Cidonalad will get to play it through.

I think it would have been far more satisfying if all the stories converged at the end for a big final battle of some sort (as cliché as that is).

One analogy I read in one of the reviews above said that playing Octopath Traveler was like reading 8 books simultaneously. You read chapter 1 of the first book, then drop it and read chapter 1 of a different book (then a different book, then a different book etc.)

Narratively it sounds annoying and fragmented.

However another review said it was like playing 8 separate RPGs, so I don't know.

• Advertisement

I think it would have been far more satisfying if all the stories converged at the end for a big final battle of some sort (as cliché as that is).

One analogy I read in one of the reviews above said that playing Octopath Traveler was like reading 8 books simultaneously. You read chapter 1 of the first book, then drop it and read chapter 1 of a different book (then a different book, then a different book etc.)

Narratively it sounds annoying and fragmented.

However another review said it was like playing 8 separate RPGs, so I don't know.

Sounds like Cloud Atlas!

FYI €64.99 in Argos.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

FYI €64.99 in Argos.

How do you know this? I can't find it on the irish site.

Looked it up on a kiosk tonight in Limerick. It was listed there.

There nearly as bad as gamestop!

I was in the store today and it was €64.99 alright.
    Smyth's seems to be the best of them.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I was in the store today and it was €64.99 alright.
    Smyth's seems to be the best of them.

Argos €55 now. Very low stock in my area.

http://www.checkargos.com/product/8065133

I reserved a copy, 54.99

OSI wrote: »
    Even without the pre-order Smyths is still cheaper at €50

There's not a Smyth's in every county though.

• Advertisement

Picking up Special Edition later :)

Advertisement