Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread IV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Because the day after it crashes out, it will still be the UK, trading under wto rules just like loads of other countries do. No apocalypse, no rivers of blood, just average everyday boring Brits. Blitz mentality will kick in and they will do just fine.

Seems very strange for a whole people to place themselves in a situation where a blitz mentality is needed for survival... Talk about national self-harming on a grand scale...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,327 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Because the day after it crashes out, it will still be the UK, trading under wto rules just like loads of other countries do. No apocalypse, no rivers of blood, just average everyday boring Brits. Blitz mentality will kick in and they will do just fine.
    Uhh... the NHS has a delay and the country goes insane, and this is the personality that'll turn into 'Blitz mentality?' What happens when the welfare checks are delayed/food prices soar/no airplanes...

UK seems like it's all about whingeing for benefits and not sacrificing for the greater good. Generations of hands-out just wanting enough for drinks, smokes and soccer tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

If you think applying customs delays, paperwork and duties to 45% of your exports and 56% of your imports isn't going to make a difference you are indeed imbued with the spirit of the blitz. Congratulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,315 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

You know the blitz was a horror show right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

lawred2 wrote: »
    You know the blitz was a horror show right?

If it brings us back the likes of Arthur Atkinson and Fred Halibut & His Little Banjolele, it'll all be worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

breatheme wrote: »
    Or maybe if he had come out in favour of Remain, they could've won.

London voted to remain anyway. He didn't command much influence in places like the North, Wales and Midlands who voted to leave in high numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,368 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Comparisons with the Blitz mindset are pointless. British/English society has changed completely in the past 75 years. What was important then is unimportant now and vice versa.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,170 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

J Mysterio wrote: »
    London voted to remain anyway. He didn't command much influence in places like the North, Wales and Midlands who voted to leave in high numbers.

Farage has said a few times that much of the UKIP vote came from disaffected Labour voters in Northern English towns. Johnson likely held more sway over metropolitan and rural conservatives in the Southeast.

Not surprising when you consider that 6 of the EU's 10 poorest regions by GDP are in the UK:

Table-v3.jpg

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

It's been nearly 24 hours since someone quit.
    Two vice chairs of the Conservative Party, Maria Caulfield and Ben Bradley, are quitting their posts in protest at Theresa May's Chequers Brexit compromise plan.

Both have warned they will lose their seats unless the Tories deliver Brexit.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-44785797?ns_linkname=news_central&ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_breaking&ns_source=twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Dymo

That's good to see, I like people who stick to their principles and the will of the people. If their constitutes want Brexit, give it to them.

I think Brexit is getting stronger day by day, it's becoming a rebellion of sorts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,170 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

In fairness, we have all been at weekend office parties where we promise some fugly the moon and stars because all your friends were doing it too and then regreted it Monday when you see her with the beer goggles off.

This is a forum for serious discussion. Please do not post like this again here.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 12,057 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Farage has said a few times that much of the UKIP vote came from disaffected Labour voters in Northern English towns. Johnson likely held more sway over metropolitan and rural conservatives in the Southeast.

Not surprising when you consider that 6 of the EU's 10 poorest regions by GDP are in the UK:

Table-v3.jpg

There shouldn't be a debate in whether arguably the most popular politician in the UK at the time converting to leave was not a game changer. He was the face of the leave campaign and fronted all the main tv debates for a reason.

Also as alluded to above, a lot of anger from leavers and she does seem to be provoking them. I wouldn't be a leaver and I understand why May is doing it, but its something that she needs to a bit more careful with.

https://twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/1016680405095903232

https://twitter.com/oflynnmep/status/1016696576977391616

• Registered Users Posts: 22,363 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

According to insiders, if it comes to a No confidence vote, the magic number is about 1/3 of MPs voting No Confidence for there to be a full scale heave against her.

Tories have 316 seats at the moment, so if Tory mps 106 vote no confidence, her position would be untenable. More than a 50% vote of no confidence in the House of Commons would force a re-election, but the conservatives could force a change of leadership without risking an election if they feel they have the numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Theresa May would want to establish a Department of Resignations with the amount of Tories stepping down since her tenure and the last week alone. Although perhaps she is fearful that the minister who she appoints to this role might just resign as well. Better make it her then...,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Call me Al

In fairness, we have all been at weekend office parties where we promise some fugly the moon and stars because all your friends were doing it too and then regreted it Monday when you see her with the beer goggles off.

This "fugly" as you so gentlemanly call it, is the consequence of his actions.
    He is purely self-serving with no thought for the consequences of his actions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Imreoir2 wrote: »
    Sure, no flights in or out of the country for an indefinate period of time will hardily be noticed.

I remember a time before cheap flights when only the rich could fly. People adapt.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,564 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I remember a time before cheap flights when only the rich could fly. People adapt.

True, but it is the job of every government to work towards making the lives of the citizens better, not drag them backwards.

There was a time before the internet and mobiles and electricity.

What happens when someones parents in Spain get sick. Just adapt I suppose? Or if people want a holiday, taking back control means removing their ability to travel abroad on a plane?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Sure, no flights in or out of the country for an indefinate period of time will hardily be noticed.

grand if you are happy to adapt to life being worse rather than better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Call me Al

So the UK is destined to go backwards, not forwards?
    I'm sure they'll be delighted at the prospect of adapting to empty supermarket shelves and job losses..
    But chin up and Dunkirk spirit aplenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

If it happens, they will adapt, by rioting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭McGiver

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

No,

Not unless they relax their red lines first.

This is noting new.
    It's just taking a long time for Barnier's red-line infographic to sink in over there.
    Imagine if they had to do a trade deal with a third party ?
    Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has claimed that the European Union would be flexible in Brexit negotiations if the UK could relax from some of its red line issues in the wake of last Friday’s Chequers statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,425 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

If it happens, they will adapt, by rioting.

It wouldn’t take long for society especially in poor parts of London and other urban centers to get very strained.

Major riots. Mindless violence. Vandalism. Arson. Looting on a grand scale. Breakdown of law and order. Huge xenophobic and Racial tensions possibly fanned by the likes of Farage or even more extreme far right groups. The vulnerable and weak will make suitable scapegoats.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I suppose the Blitz mentality will help with the lack of planes flying overhead.
    Hundreds of thousands of German Civilians were slaughered during WWII by the Bomber Harris and others because of a complete disconnect. They could see how Londoners endured the Blitz and yet the same tatic would collapse* Germany ?

Brexit is a bit like that too, somehow the UK is special and Johnny Foreigner will cave in. :rolleyes:

* Peak German production was in 1944 around the time of the D-Day landings. Shortage of raw materials and fuel limited production after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1016751492311732226

MP to May :"Your not my fwriend anymore"

I mean it would make a great sitcom but all the while the clock ticks on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I don't like May and think she's a most heinous human but that is a rather childish move on his part. Trying to pluck himself from obscurity it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Trasna1

McGiver wrote: »

I also thought it was fairly pathetic that he got a photographer in for a photo of him signing his resignation letter. What a self absorbed clown...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Excellent article. Johnson toasted May's deal on Friday night and resigned because he couldn't stomach the deal on Monday. Shallow, elitist and incompetent ambition in a nutshell.

Surely a man of integrity and compunction would have simply disagreed on the day, stood his ground, resigned and called for an uber?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,388 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I've a feeling Varadkar's comments (or the tone of what he was saying) were completely misinterpreted here. The implication was that he was suggesting that the EU needed to be much more flexible with the UK and perhaps even meet them halfway but I don't think he was getting at that at all. It's more like he was just talking in very general terms about flexibility from the EU.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Trasna1

Strazdas wrote: »
    I've a feeling Varadkar's comments (or the tone of what he was saying) were completely misinterpreted here. The implication was that he was suggesting that the EU needed to be much more flexible with the UK and perhaps even meet them halfway but I don't think he was getting at that at all. It's more like he was just talking in very general terms about flexibility from the EU.

The tone from parts of the Irish media has been strange over the last week or two I have to say. It's almost as if they are trying to generate a softening of Irish opinion on Brexit in order to either force/let the government abandon in part it's core Brexit strategy wrt NI and trade. Coupled with the British PR push with two royal visits after one another and that the UK has been briefing in Europe against Varadkar and Coveney, this has the smell of coordination about it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement