Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chit chat number nein

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

A video of a briar growing. Comes with a warning, it might affect your sleep.:D
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aNjR4rVA8to

• Registered Users Posts: 29,243 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Put on rte1 there after the Gslway Msyo game ended. That programne on twink is woeful crap

• Registered Users Posts: 11,226 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

whelan2 wrote: »
    Put on rte1 there after the Gslway Msyo game ended. That programne on twink is woeful crap

Turn over to rte2.
    Nazis breeding of the Aurochs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Turn over to rte2.

Show on the Victorian’s on channel 5 - it’s very good...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,520 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

A video of a briar growing. Comes with a warning, it might affect your sleep.:D
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aNjR4rVA8to

Like a Feckin triffid

https://youtu.be/LYEpBTAD27k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Turn over to rte2.

Link to that - think your mailbox is full btw ...

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

There was a bit of a disagreement on a WhatsApp group im on earlier. One fella doesn't understand why dairy farmers bother doing their own hay, the other guy claims he earned over €400/acre from selling hay last week.

While im indifferent on dairy farmers doing their own hay.... there's no way there is €400/acre profit on making and selling hay. Otherwise id have 50 acres made duing the week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

There was a bit of a disagreement on a WhatsApp group im on earlier. One fella doesn't understand why dairy farmers bother doing their own hay, the other guy claims he earned over €400/acre from selling hay last week.

While im indifferent on dairy farmers doing their own hay.... there's no way there is €400/acre profit on making and selling hay. Otherwise id have 50 acres made duing the week

Did the 400/acre lad supply any more than that?

Small squares are the most work, but the most profit...
    How many bales would you get to an acre - 150 would be a good crop, maybe it could be more this year?
    Selling at 3/bale - 450euro

Now take off fertiliser & diesel... if you had all the machinery not sure how you should cost this?

Not sure you’d have 400, it all depends on what the costs were really, but you might have a good chunk of it too...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Suckler

Earned €400/acre and profit of €400/acre are two different things. The €400 aside; I'd be interested to hear if he's included the input costs and how he evaluated his own time etc. I know lads who are selective about what they include as a 'cost' against the sale price/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,093 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Suckler wrote: »
    Earned €400/acre and profit of €400/acre are two different things. The €400 aside; I'd be interested to hear if he's included the input costs and how he evaluated his own time etc. I know lads who are selective about what they include as a 'cost' against the sale price/

He was lucky to get someone to buy the hay this year, see it down as low as €18 round bale in Done deal,
    We're after a good run of weather for last two years, we've all seen years that it was hard even to harvest silage. I've a couple acres of wet land that you wouldn't get the jeep across two years in a row, yet my tenant has cut silage off it twice a year for the last three years. such is the climate change lately..... however I wouldn't be planning making hay as an enterprise into the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭emaherx

Why evaluated his own time in working out what he just earned? This comes up a lot here. If I work 60h off farm in a week I don't subtract anything when working out my gross earnings? Sure you can work out what you earn per hour and compare it to wages possibly earned doing something else but money earned is money earned.

Someone here last year even tried to say you needed to add a few euro into your costs for lost potential earnings doing something else? Of coarse the chap could have been sitting on his hole starring at a TV instead.

emaherx wrote: »
    Why evaluated his own time in working out what he just earned? This comes up a lot here.

Because it's a cost of production.
    If I work 60h off farm in a week I don't subtract anything when working out my gross earnings? Sure you can work out what you earn per hour and compare it to wages possibly earned doing something else but money earned is money earned.

Money earned is no use if you're paying more out than 'earning'.
    Someone here last year even tried to say you needed to add a few euro into your costs for lost potential earnings doing something else? Of coarse the chap could have been sitting on his hole starring at a TV instead.

If you had to take unpaid leave from your '9-5' then it would be relevant.

Because it's a cost of production.

Money earned is no use if you're paying more out than 'earning'.

If you had to take unpaid leave from your '9-5' then it would be relevant.

Obviously time is important, but what exactly is the monetary cost of production for your time? Time that obviously could be spent doing something more productive or likewise spent staring at your feet.

Obviously money earned is no use if costs more than you are earning, using your free time to earn a little extra is not a cost though.

Yes "IF" you take unpaid from the 9-5 to do something that earns less it's a cost. There was no suggestion of this though.

Obviously time is important, but what exactly is the monetary cost of production for your time?

That's what he needs to work out. I can't tell him that. But if he's in telling all and sundry about his "earnings" the time it took him would be entirely relevant. That's the point. Time was only one element of the point I'd made.
    Time that obviously could be spent doing something more productive or likewise spent staring at your feet.

That would be the reason for carrying out the assessment I recommended. To find out after all costs were totalled against "earned" and see if he was better off not starting in to the hay making and stare at his feet. Or, do something more productive.
    Obviously money earned is no use if costs more than you are earning,

That was my point so I'm not sure why you are going down this rabbit hole.
    using your free time to earn a little extra is not a cost though.
    Time was one cost I'd suggested. If he can say he did it in his free time, fine, why argue it though?

Yes "IF" you take unpaid from the 9-5 to do something that earns less it's a cost. There was no suggestion of this though.

It was an example in response to you point with regard to potential earning loss elsewhere. There was no suggestion of it either way also.

That's what he needs to work out. I can't tell him that. But if he's in telling all and sundry about his "earnings" the time it took him would be entirely relevant. That's the point. Time was only one element of the point I'd made.

That would be the reason for carrying out the assessment I recommended. To find out after all costs were totalled against "earned" and see if he was better off not starting in to the hay making and stare at his feet. Or, do something more productive.

Time was one cost I'd suggested. If he can say he did it in his free time, fine, why argue it though?

It was an example in response to you point with regard to potential earning loss elsewhere. There was no suggestion of it either way also.

Not sure about rabbit holes, only giving my opinion, I'm not sure the person in question was going into the hay making business or just taking advantage of the nice surpluses this year. Wasn't just your comments, more of a general observation on this forum you can't say you made any profits on fodder here without someone going you didn't allow anything for your time or even a fictional cost (this was from another poster) about money that could be earned doing something else (wasn't a taking time off 9-5 situation but applied it always).

Just pointing out that that time could just as easily be just taking away from Xbox time as other work time and the person involved may enjoy making hay and make a few quid.

Did the 400/acre lad supply any more than that?

Small squares are the most work, but the most profit...
    How many bales would you get to an acre - 150 would be a good crop, maybe it could be more this year?
    Selling at 3/bale - 450euro

Now take off fertiliser & diesel... if you had all the machinery not sure how you should cost this?

Not sure you’d have 400, it all depends on what the costs were really, but you might have a good chunk of it too...

The following is the info he provided, its a WhatsApp group so not exactly fleshed out and i had to edit out some crap.

"Serious money n hay making lad. 732 small squares at €3 n field, €3.80 delivered. €30 for rounds n field, 19 rounds, take all costs out have a profit of over €1821 works out at €404.66 a acre so why not make hay, then all about making profit end day and making good hay need be a good farmer to make hay I guess."

Other bits of info.... its on 4&1/2 acres. He had hay done early before the glut of hay, so he may have gotten €30 for his rounds.

I think hes only taken into account the cost to bale the rounds and squares, and to mow the ground. I dont think hes taken the cost of fertiliser, land charge (its on rented ground). Nothing accounted for tedding/haybob, probably turned 4 to 6 times and rowed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,198 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

The following is the info he provided, its a WhatsApp group so not exactly fleshed out and i had to edit out some crap.

"Serious money n hay making lad. 732 small squares at €3 n field, €3.80 delivered. €30 for rounds n field, 19 rounds, take all costs out have a profit of over €1821 works out at €404.66 a acre so why not make hay, then all about making profit end day and making good hay need be a good farmer to make hay I guess."

Anyone starting their statement with "Serious money n hay making lad" is a piss artist anyway.
    God knows what crap you had to edit out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Other bits of info.... its on 4&1/2 acres. He had hay done early before the glut of hay, so he may have gotten €30 for his rounds.

I think hes only taken into account the cost to bale the rounds and squares, and to mow the ground. I dont think hes taken the cost of fertiliser, land charge (its on rented ground). Nothing accounted for tedding/haybob, probably turned 4 to 6 times and rowed up.

And 7 to 10 days later in getting to aftergrass as well compared to silage.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Anyone starting their statement with "Serious money n hay making lad" is a piss artist anyway.
    God knows what crap you had to edit out!

Oh he is, i had to edit lots of stuff that may identify either party in the discussion.... but i think he truly believes what he said!

How much would baling be? €5 or €6?
    Haybob turning? 6 or 8 an acre?
    Fertiliser? How much is a bag of 18-6-12?
    Land charge... just say hes paying €150 (guessing that figure) per acre, how much do you attribute to the hay?

And shur his time is free ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Saw my first pine marten in the wild today. I’d say he was a young one.

Some increase in the amount of wildlife in our bog area in the last few years.

I reckon because there isn’t much or any spray being used

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,226 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

This "lad" business creeping in everywhere now on social media.
    Almost entirely from farmers replying to other farmers just irks me.
    If you're going to reply to someone use their name or even an initial. Using lad just makes you look like a pr1ck trying to degrade that person.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Some population explosion with the pine martens. They're a savage predator, if you get to see them up close they've some set of chops on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Serious money in hay alright, but in this country, for every good year, 3 out of 4 years it will rot in the field.
    I got a load of hay this year from a neighbour. Bought it home straight away. Guy that helped me load it said I was mad, there was no rain forecast for a week. It was raining the next day.

"Remember 19176" - must get the teeshirt.:D

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Some population explosion with the pine martens. They're a savage predator, if you get to see them up close they've some set of chops on them.

Well I saw one in primary school. A local barber used catch wildlife and visit the schools with them. When he had the school round done, he would release again. It was a great experience as a child. Sparrow hawks, owls, he brought a rat one day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I saw some young pine martins on a road in Kilmeedy in Limerick a few years ago. Mother and 3 youngsters ambling along the road as far as a field gate and into the field with them. My first and last time seeing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

They must be fairly common up here because I would see them a couple of times a years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

I saw some young pine martins on a road in Kilmeedy in Limerick a few years ago. Mother and 3 youngsters ambling along the road as far as a field gate and into the field with them. My first and last time seeing them.

Saw a platypus cross the road in front of me one evening on the road to a town called Hay, first and probably the last time ill ever see one.

Better living everyone

Saw a platypus cross the road in front of me one evening on the road to a town called Hay, first and probably the last time ill ever see one.

I thought they were rare enough to see alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Was it duck billed ? That's all l rem learning from national school.... duck billed platypus. Not a clue what the means btw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Pamplona.jpg

484662.jpg

A participant is tossed by a heifer bull during the first bullrun of the San Fermin festival in Pamplona, northern Spain on July 7, 2019. - On each day of the festival six bulls are released at 8:00 a.m. (0600 GMT) to run from their corral through the narrow, cobbled streets of the old town over an 850-meter (yard) course. Ahead of them are the runners, who try to stay close to the bulls without falling over or being gored. (Photo by JAIME REINA / AFP)
    Insanity and animal cruelty.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement