Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannabis - It must be time for legality.

Options
  • 20-06-2018 5:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭

I'm not a smoker but the benefits of this "drug" for medical use is quite remarkable really.

Recreational use.... you never ever hear of a stoner going mental and attacking people or the Police, what's the harm? Surely alcohol is more dangerous.

Thoughts....? & kudos to Canada btw. Well done to them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I still can't find the answer to the question "why was it ever banned in the first place?"

Seems to have been schnuck onto the list of substances during the Opium convention back in the top hat and cigar days for reasons unspecified, despite having feckity all to do with opium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Schwanz wrote: »
    I'm not a smoker but the benefits of this "drug" for medical use is quite remarkable really.

Recreational use.... you never ever hear of a stoner going mental and attacking people or the Police, what's the harm? Surely alcohol is more dangerous.

Thoughts....? & kudos to Canada btw. Well done to them.

It is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

I still can't find the answer to the question "why was it ever banned in the first place?"

Seems to have been schnuck onto the list of substances during the Opium convention back in the top hat and cigar days for reasons unspecified, despite having feckity all to do with opium.

Productivity probably low in a smoker lol

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's not something that suits me and I don't personally like it, but I can't think of any real reason why it shouldn't be made legal and taxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The medicinal uses are very overhyped tbh.

All the social media articles would have you believe that it's a wonder drug, when realistically very few proper studies have confirmed any medicinal use.

That's not to say I'm against legalisation, but be honest about the fact that you just want to get high, don't use pop science and anecdotes to pretend you're looking for medicine. You're not, you're looking to get off your tits. And that's fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,695 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

seamus wrote: »
    but be honest about the fact that you just want to get high, don't use pop science and anecdotes to pretend you're looking for medicine. You're not, you're looking to get off your tits. And that's fine.

Indeed... the notion that having a bunch of stoners wandering about the place is somehow going to benefit society is just nonsense.

Personally I see no reason to legalise it for general use but accept that it likely will be. I think we have enough problems with alcohol and drug abuse in this country without sanctioning it (although it's mostly about the tax and the progressive "feels"/potential votes really for the Government so Leo will probably go for it alright! :rolleyes:), and I think the presumption that all those criminals making good money off it now will just "go away" is stupid - more likely they'll graduate to petty theft and burglary to replace their incomes.

I can imagine things like driving under the influence, people being stoned at work and other such carry-on increasing dramatically after legalisation.

I really can't see any positives to it for those who don't smoke themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

It's just crazy to me that you can walk into a Tesco and assuming you've timed it correctly you can pretty much buy as much alcohol as you can carry away with you and no one will bat an eye lid. That possessing another psychoactive recreational drug that you just happen to ingest in a different manner can lead to a criminal conviction is just insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

I have a friend who has severe mental problems from smoking weed. Brain is totally fried.

But yeah from a medicinal point of view it should be legalised through perscription as it has many benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

I have a friend who has severe mental problems from smoking weed. Brain is totally fried.

But yeah from a medicinal point of view it should be legalised through perscription as it has many benefits.

I know people who are mentally and physically fried from alcohol abuse or have died from smoking related cancers.

If anything, legalise it to take it away from the dealers and tax the f*ck out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

How much was this person smoking and for how long?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Cannabis is an extremely dangerous drug. The top psychiatrist in Ireland was on the radio recently talking about the epidemic of young men presenting to mental health services with life changing psychosis and schizophrenia. Nearly all young men, many from small rural towns, all completely ruined by ‘innocent’ cannabis.

https://m.independent.ie/life/health-wellbeing/study-proves-cannabis-can-lead-to-psychosis-36917630.html

The hysterical ‘well what about booze’ is the stoners default argument as well. Some losers are going to smoke weed every day anyway, so legalise away. But stop pretending that the drug is not a dirty, dangerous, demotivating substance that makes regular users pathetic and sickly looking creatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,079 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Cannabis is an extremely dangerous drug. The top psychiatrist in Ireland was on the radio recently talking about the epidemic of young men presenting to mental health services with life changing psychosis and schizophrenia. Nearly all young men, many from small rural towns, all completely ruined by ‘innocent’ cannabis.

https://m.independent.ie/life/health-wellbeing/study-proves-cannabis-can-lead-to-psychosis-36917630.html

The hysterical ‘well what about booze’ is the stoners default argument as well. Some losers are going to smoke weed every day anyway, so legalise away. But stop pretending that the drug is not a dirty, dangerous, demotivating substance that makes regular users pathetic and sickly looking creatures.

It's weed, not heroin.

I'd say there are a lot of other issues that would lead to psychosis and schizophrenia in young men these days. Not saying smoking every day isn't bad, obviously everything in moderation, but eat cake or drink 8 cans every day and bad things will happen.

Also in Ireland a lot of joints would be mainly tobacco, mainly due to the fact weed is so expensive here so I would doubt that it would be the strongest stuff. Doesn't seem to be an epidemic in the likes of Denver or California, wonder why?

This is from someone who doesn't smoke weed bar the very odd occasion.

Pyr0 wrote: »
    I know people who are mentally and physically fried from alcohol abuse or have died from smoking related cancers.

If anything, legalise it to take it away from the dealers and tax the f*ck out of it.

The whataboutery doesn't diminish the risk.. nor does it excuse the abuse of those other substances.

As for the tax the f*ck out of it... all that'll happen is the same black market we have now, like cigarettes for example.

I have yet to see any real benefits offered to legalising recreational use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Chewbacca wrote:
    Ban alcohol people!

Yeah worked out well for the Americans in the 20's.

Joking dude both your comment and mine are cliches by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    The whataboutery doesn't diminish the risk.. nor does it excuse the abuse of those other substances.

As for the tax the f*ck out of it... all that'll happen is the same black market we have now, like cigarettes for example.

I can accept a black market like you'd see with cigarettes or alcohol (which from my interaction with it, is fairly harmless) over straight up dealing lining the pockets of criminals on a massive scale and fuelling street crime.

In my opinion, the goal would be to take a big chunk of revenue out of the criminal organisations and giving the population who wish to do so, a safe and regulated product to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭freddie1970

I have crohns disease and believe me this stuff is a life saver ..my other options steriods and humira and look at the side effects from them ..
    it should be legalised ..
    If people are more informed about different strains and their effects then they can take what suits ..
    if you smoke skunk every day of course you will have problems ..just like drinking vodka every day i wouldnt dream of it but a glass of wine in the evening is nice the same applies to cannabis

Yes and yes. I've seen it cause or at the least contribute to plenty of issues in plenty of people in my fairly short lifetime so far.
    Well obviously if you're going to dismiss them all out of hand then you won't see any.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Drug dealers don’t ask for ID when selling it to customers, a buyer is a buyer no matter what age they are. A regulated service would indeed check for age before dispensing it, similar to alcohol & tobacco. Will that prevent under 18’s from obtaining it and using it? Of course not, but it would certainly be more difficult for under 18’s to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

If you don't see any benefit to legalising cannabis then you are very clearly not looking.

- Not criminalising otherwise law abiding citizens
    - Freeing up Garda resources
    - Freeing up Court resources
    - Freeing up Prison resources
    - More income in tax
    - Reduce peoples use of alcohol
    - Reduce peoples use of opioids
    - Cutting off a major source of income for organised crime

There's 8 solid reasons that legalising it would bring to society. There's plenty more as well.

In fact, most evidence points to the fact that there is almost no tangible benefit for having it illegal. Can you name any?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Chewbacca wrote:
    I know man, tbats what I was going for. I need to start using smileys.

Sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,075 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'm split on it

For medicinal purposes, by all means.

But do we need a load of stoners dandering around?

Pyr0 wrote: »
    I can accept a black market like you'd see with cigarettes or alcohol (which from my interaction with it, is fairly harmless) over straight up dealing lining the pockets of criminals on a massive scale and fuelling street crime.

In my opinion, the goal would be to take a big chunk of revenue out of the criminal organisations and giving the population who wish to do so, a safe and regulated product to use.

Who do you think is behind many of these cigarette/alcohol black markets?

Also, why do you think it'll help the crime situation at all? Are we to believe that criminals who are making anywhere from thousands to millions on this trade will simply shrug and say "oh well! Nice while it lasted!", or do you think maybe they'll turn to other avenues... peddling harder drugs, theft, burglary etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Liam O wrote: »
    It's weed, not heroin.

I'd say there are a lot of other issues that would lead to psychosis and schizophrenia in young men these days. Not saying smoking every day isn't bad, obviously everything in moderation, but eat cake or drink 8 cans every day and bad things will happen.

Also in Ireland a lot of joints would be mainly tobacco, mainly due to the fact weed is so expensive here so I would doubt that it would be the strongest stuff. Doesn't seem to be an epidemic in the likes of Denver or California, wonder why?

This is from someone who doesn't smoke weed bar the very odd occasion.

:confused: Nothing wrong with cake.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

NIMAN wrote: »
    But do we need a load of stoners dandering around?

Is it’s use after being legalised going to increase 10 fold?
    Or will current users just no longer be taking an illegal substance, and rather a legal substance.

If someone wants to try it out now they’ll get it easily enough.

Yes there may very well be an uptake in consumption, but to assume that suddenly most people will suddenly become stoners is a weak argument.

• Advertisement

Advertisement