Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prospects for future teachers

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Lets not assume though. Here's the prospect for future teachers starting out--

http://www.educationposts.ie/posts/second_level?sortBy=application_closing_date&sortDir=0&county_id=&vacancy_category_id=&post_type_id=

How many permanents do you see there?

7 Permanent full time years!

On one hand, teachers are saying there is a shortage, then on the other hand there is no permanent jobs?

Ireland is experiencing a growth in kids coming through the education system

What allowances?

The Flat Rate Expenses form Revenue which curiously teachers get but other professionals don't. And other professions have expenses such as professional attire as well. Worth €1000 in salary since it is pre-tax

I don't actually know any teachers married to other teachers. Maybe 1, but they're part-time.

If the teacher marries a non-teacher, then I assume they are even more comfortable as a household? Since, according to the tone of this forum, other workers are so much better paid.

Rewind back a bit.... initial part time hours + dublin rent +trying to save.
    Would you honestly recommend anyone to move to Dublin to start their teaching career?

Yes. As I showed previously, accommodation is reasonably affordable for those on teaching salaries.

I should preface all this by saying I do believe a Dublin allowance that reflects the cost of living there should be given to public sector workers like in London. Otherwise they will be soon left behind in a quickly expanding economy. But of course, it suits Unions to use Dublin COL to ratchet up pay hikes for the entire country and are very quiet on the comparable advantage for those members in areas of low cost of living.

And obviously positions should be full time, not part time.

But as usual from the education workers, you are using part-time nature of jobs to deflect from the salaries (I initially responded to a post about salary/housing)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

salonfire wrote: »
    On one hand, teachers are saying there is a shortage, then on the other hand there is no permanent jobs?

The Flat Rate Expenses form Revenue which curiously teachers get but other professionals don't. And other professions have expenses such as professional attire as well. Worth €1000 in salary since it is pre-tax

If the teacher marries a non-teacher, then I assume they are even more comfortable as a household? Since, according to the tone of this forum, other workers are so much better paid.

Yes. As I showed previously, accommodation is reasonably affordable for those on teaching salaries.

I should preface all this by saying I do believe a Dublin allowance that reflects the cost of living there should be given to public sector workers like in London. Otherwise they will be soon left behind in a quickly expanding economy. But of course, it suits Unions to use Dublin COL to ratchet up pay hikes for the entire country and are very quiet on the comparable advantage for those members in areas of low cost of living.

And obviously positions should be full time, not part time.

But as usual from the education workers, you are using part-time nature of jobs to deflect from the salaries (I initially responded to a post about salary/housing)

So did you find those permanent jobs yet?

There's full salary and pro-rata too btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

salonfire wrote: »

I'd be worried if kids weren't growing tbf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I'd be worried if kids weren't growing tbf.

You'd think that an increase in population will mean an increase in student/teacher ratio... and permanent contracts lol.
    If anything though they'll be doing their damdest to keep this down. They just need to get over the peak at 2025... after that it'll drop off, so you don't want to hire 100's of new teachers then have the administrative nightmare of redeployment panels when population falls.

So they'll keep ploughing ahead... possibly a token decrease of 1 in the ptr. for the spin stories.
    In education parents in primary aren't really concerned about secondary issues and vice versa (unless they have kids in both). e.g. the parents of 6th years are only now wondering about non-Teachers correcting. We can wait another few years for them to ask what's the story with this new Junior Cert.

Hence the main water muddying story being pumped out now is mobile phones :rolleyes:
    Then they'll have the usual silly season blurbs about school uniforms, the cost of books or weight of school bags for August.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭scoopmine

I know of teachers who have reinterviewed on skype. Would not have heard of this a few years back!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

You'd think that an increase in population will mean an increase in student/teacher ratio... and permanent contracts lol.
    If anything though they'll be doing their damdest to keep this down. They just need to get over the peak at 2025... after that it'll drop off, so you don't want to hire 100's of new teachers then have the administrative nightmare of redeployment panels when population falls.

I think you missed the joke.

Advertisement