Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

these things on the telephone poles?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

i think we only have one in our area now because there is a primary school, catholic Church and a bed and breakfast and a housing estate at the back of us - maybe that warrant them fitting it .

until recently I thought we were just getting FTTC and that was going to be it for the village and most would have been thankful for that because the most people could get was 8mbps down on a good day on ADSL - the cabinet for the village is approx 1.5km away from my house and i was thinking if they were doing FTTC then what a paltry speed i would get being that far from the cabinet, nothing to write home about. and i wouldnt have said the copper lines from the cabinet to my area were that brilliant , some overhead copper lines open to all the elements, wind and rain ad what have you, some wooden poles leaning, trees growing in between lines , plants and mould growing up the poles ect ..

There will definitely be more than one distribution point in your area. They can be housed underground in access chambers so you might not see them all.

FTTH is so much more suited to dispersed rural housing as it doesn't have the distance limitations of copper.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

No it can't serve 144 premises. A fusion splice is the joining of two separate fibres. Think about 144 cables coming out of the box and along poles and imagine how unwieldy it would be. The box may be able to serve 13 homes but the way they have designed the network each box serves on average 4-5.

blimey really, only 4-5 premises! ... but yes would look unsightly with 144 cables coming out of it .... but I thought fibre optic cables these days can hold loads of strands of fibres in them in one cable? like this :

Fibre-Optic-Cable-small.jpg

- no, have I that wrong? - i thought this is what was inside these fibre optic cables that they are dragging across the top of the wooden poles?

blimey really, only 4-5 premises! ... but yes would look unsightly with 144 cables coming out of it .... but I thought fibre optic cables these days can hold loads of strands of fibres in them in one cable? like this :

Fibre-Optic-Cable-small.jpg

- no, have I that wrong? - i thought this is what was inside these fibre optic cables that they are dragging across the top of the wooden poles?

No you have it right. The cable on the poles has 36 individual fibres. It is about 8mm in diameter.

However each home served needs it's own cable. The cable into the house is smaller about 5mm x 2mm and it contains two separate fibres of which only one is used. That is why they need lots of distribution boxes.

No you have it right. The cable on the poles has 32 individual fibres. It is about 8mm in diameter.

However each home served needs it's own cable. The cable into the house is smaller about 5mm x 2mm and it contains two separate fibres of which only one is used. That is why they need lots of distribution boxes.

oh right - thanks

is the FTTH system being used here called passive GPON then and splitted by prisms - if it is this system then you share your connection (even though its encrypted) with the neighbours and can still suffer from contention at peak times?

• Advertisement

is the FTTH system being used here called passive GPON then and splitted by prisms - if it is this system then you share your connection (even though its encrypted) with the neighbours and can still suffer from contention at peak times?

That is the system they are using yes. A split ratio of 1:32 so up to 32 homes share 2.49 Gb/s downstream and 1.24 Gb/s upstream. I haven't heard anyone complain of contention and as I said before there are two massive threads in the Broadband forum with lots of people connected. Here is the downstream on my 300 Mb connection over the past seven days:

453899.PNG

That is the max you'll get out of an eir 300Mb connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,517 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=104460213
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=104500076

UND1534 manufactured by Acome in France
    Single-mode fibre G652D (N8228A)
    36 Fibres (3 tubes x 12 fibres)
    O.D. 8.3mm

DSC_0039.jpg

Disassembled offcut of the cable, 36 Fibre (3x12)
    untitled1.jpg

Outer sheath on the left
    2 fibre tubes (blue & green)
    3 strands of yarn as strength member
    1 fibre tube (orange) followed by the 12 strands of fibre from that tube, in no particular order, - turquoise, violet, orange, brown, red, blue, pink, grey, black, yellow, green, white

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

I saw you said in another thread that you have no Eircode. Is that still the case? You're going to find it extremely difficult to order. As far as I can see if you don't have an Eircode Openeir won't acknowledge your existence.

Yes ive being trying to get one for ages. Eventually an post replied to me and say they will assign one to me in the next update. Every quarter I think. So hopefully i get one soon. Its a real nuisance as a lot of sites look for it now.

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Yes ive being trying to get one for ages. Eventually an post replied to me and say they will assign one to me in the next update. Every quarter I think. So hopefully i get one soon. Its a real nuisance as a lot of sites look for it now.

Unfortunately in relation to this fibre broadband I don't think you are going to be connected without an Eircode. Even when you do finally get an Eircode there is no guarantee that Openeir will add you to the database of passed homes. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I just wanted to let you know where you stand.

What you could do is contact Openeir at fibrepower@openeir.ie explaining your situation. Include a screenshot of the map showing your home beside the other premises that will be passed. Explain that you should be getting an Eircode soon. There is every chance that they will ignore you or give you some generic response about the plan being fixed and there is nothing they can do, however it is worth a shot.

Unfortunately in relation to this fibre broadband I don't think you are going to be connected without an Eircode. Even when you do finally get an Eircode there is no guarantee that Openeir will add you to the database of passed homes. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I just wanted to let you know where you stand.

What you could do is contact Openeir at fibrepower@openeir.ie explaining your situation. Include a screenshot of the map showing your home beside the other premises that will be passed. Explain that you should be getting an Eircode soon. There is every chance that they will ignore you or give you some generic response about the plan being fixed and there is nothing they can do, however it is worth a shot.

Ill give that a shot so.Thanks! An post says the eircode database is updated every 3 months. Would that be after each quarter meaning the next update would be in July? The gov.ie website has this info on it in relation to Broadband.

Map updates use the latest version of GeoDirectory which are revised every three months. As a result, the number of premises in all areas of the Map, including the LIGHT BLUE areas(areas where eir has committed to commercial rural deployment plans to rollout high speed broadband to 300,000 premises by the end of 2018)., may change from version to version. Changes might arise because of inaccuracies found and corrected or because premises become derelict or demolished (net reduction) or new buildings get built (net increase).

Its hard to believe I don't have an eircode after receiving mail at this address for over 4 years now.

• Advertisement

Ill give that a shot so.Thanks! An post says the eircode database is updated every 3 months. Would that be after each quarter meaning the next update would be in July? The gov.ie website has this info on it in relation to Broadband.

Map updates use the latest version of GeoDirectory which are revised every three months. As a result, the number of premises in all areas of the Map, including the LIGHT BLUE areas(areas where eir has committed to commercial rural deployment plans to rollout high speed broadband to 300,000 premises by the end of 2018)., may change from version to version. Changes might arise because of inaccuracies found and corrected or because premises become derelict or demolished (net reduction) or new buildings get built (net increase).

Its hard to believe I don't have an eircode after receiving mail at this address for over 4 years now.

My guess is it would be September but I really don't know much about how Eircodes get allocated.

In relation to the new builds there is a clause in the contract for new builds to be included as they get Eircodes. The only thing going against you is technically you may not be in a covered area. You're at the end of a line so Openeir may say "we will leave him for the NBP". If they do say that I would be contacting the Department complaining as it could be argued either way really. All your immediate neighbours will be covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,517 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

An post says the eircode database is updated every 3 months. Would that be after each quarter meaning the next update would be in July?

From the Eircode website
    The next quarterly update will be displayed on our systems in ​August 2018.

If your property has been in existence for many years and you cannot find it on the Eircode Finder, please get in touch with our contact centre and they will be happy to help you. You can contact Eircode either by submitting a query or contact us on 0818 300 005.

https://www.eircode.ie/getting-an-eircode

The Cush wrote: »
    From the Eircode website

That's good. I did contact eir and they told me to contact an post as it was their responsibility to allocate eircodes. Ill give them a ring anyway. Thanks for the help lads. Good info on this thread.

This is the reply I have got so it looks looks like until I get that Eircode Im in limbo,

"Thank you for your email.

To both place a fibre order and asses if it is available an eircode is required.

Once your eircode is provided and eircode "the company" has updated our systems with your eircode details only then can we progress your request.

Kind Regards.

Didn't know you could order asses of them!

This is the reply I have got so it looks looks like until I get that Eircode Im in limbo,

"Thank you for your email.

To both place a fibre order and asses if it is available an eircode is required.

Once your eircode is provided and eircode "the company" has updated our systems with your eircode details only then can we progress your request.

Kind Regards.

Didn't know you could order asses of them!

Was that from Openeir? If so it's at least somewhat positive in that they didn't flat out refuse to deal with you and tell you to wait for the NBP.

Was that from Openeir? If so it's at least somewhat positive in that they didn't flat out refuse to deal with you and tell you to wait for the NBP.

Yes that was from openeir. I think the fact i would be the only house in my town land not getting it if they refuse might work in my favour. The townland is on the ftth rollout.

just wondering with all this hot weather around 30c at the moment does fibre get affected by heat like this at all, especially when its run overground like this on the wooden poles?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

just wondering with all this hot weather around 30c at the moment does fibre get affected by heat like this at all, especially when its run overground like this on the wooden poles?

You've a very active imagination.

Its rated for use in Sweden at -40c and in Aus at +50c. No bodge here.

ED E wrote: »
    You've a very active imagination.

Its rated for use in Sweden at -40c and in Aus at +50c. No bodge here.

oh good i will take that as a 'they will be fine' then :)

not a very active imagination, its just i am not a fibre cable 'expert' and thought maybe that heat could affect them in some way thats all

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

Glass melts at around 1400oC, so should be ok.

• Advertisement

degsie wrote: »
    Glass melts at around 1400oC, so should be ok.

Not really real glass though inside, is it though? Cause you wouldn't be able to loop it, it would break/shatter

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭dingding

There is a bending radius for installing fibre which can not be exceeded or the glass core is damaged.

Or else the fibre is designed to move within the cable to protect against damage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_fiber_cable

dingding wrote: »
    There is a bending radius for installing fibre which can not be exceeded or the glass core is damaged.

Or else the fibre is designed to move within the cable to protect against damage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_fiber_cable

80mm for the distribution cable that they are using.

Advertisement