Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are all men stronger than all women?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I've seen my 75 year old grandmother beat my 20 year old brother (who was a carpenter at the time, so did have a certain amount of upper body strength) at arm wrestling. He was dead embarrassed, and moaning about how sore his arm was for days after.

So from that, my guess would be, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

My girlfriend is 4" 10' and about 45kgs. I'm 6 foot and about 70kg
    I still manage to lose to her in wrestling every now and then. She's got legs like shot putter

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I read somewhere that if you take your average joe soap man and get him to throw a baseball as hard as he can and then take a thousand average women, two of the women will have been able to throw the baseball as far as the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,261 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I challenge the average lad to last even thirty seconds against Karolina Kowalkiewicz. :D

Am assuming she's hot or something.

1edfe8118662129da78b3558177a9914.jpg

Heather+Jo+Clark+UFC+Fight+Night+Overeem+v+Xz2BLDAboSSl.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Scientists say the average wee 5'5" dude from the Neanderthal timezone, could elimate 95% of todays 6'2" skinny jeans wearers.
    Today's metropolitan soy boy, would barely get time to place their skiny late and macbook down, before stoneage chap would bodyslam 'em.

So a more evens wrestling match would be Neanderthal lady, vs an average Joe (but blue collar manual worker, not an office boy).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

Shenshen wrote: »
    I've seen my 75 year old grandmother beat my 20 year old brother (who was a carpenter at the time, so did have a certain amount of upper body strength) at arm wrestling. He was dead embarrassed, and moaning about how sore his arm was for days after.

So from that, my guess would be, no.

I beat a young fellow in an arm wrestle,I'm 49 he's 22 ,plays a lot of sport,has a physical job and was practically climbing on the table trying to get my arm down but I wasn't budging. That was a fun party.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

The average man is physically stronger than 90% of women.

But then you talk about fighting. Relative skill will play a somewhat significant huge factor in this.

ftfy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

somefeen wrote: »
    I still manage to lose to her in wrestling every now and then. She's got legs like shot putter

You are basically a skellinton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

Have a burger then try again

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Valerie Adams is 6'4" and about 20st, and she can throw the women's shot over 21m.

I'm pretty sure 90% of all men couldn't throw the women's shot over 15m.

So the answer to the question posed is trivial...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

Are you really trying though or doing “play” wrestling. If not you are should be ashamed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Not sure if OP is drunk or trolling or on some sort of drugs or.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

I went from playing rugby at a decent amateur level to coaching women at a similarly high decent level. The power difference is massive between men and women. The weakest guy, not that there were many weak, we would have been all above average, would have dangerous levels of power in contact against the strongest woman. That's my experience anyway. But that's the way it is not bigging up anyone or belittling anyone. The under 13/14s boys might be similar in power to grown women but they'd be faster, but take it to 16s and it's big advantage to the boys again.

Im actually astonished at some of the stories here of lads losing arm wrestles and being out wrestled by women. Unless they are trained athletes or something. Wanna get checked out lads. Although I am 100kg + so maybe a 65/70kg man could be beaten by a strong woman I don't know. Most of my rugby team I mentioned would be 85kg and up I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Not quite sure what the point of the thread is...But the ferrymen here on the island can carry a sack of coal in each hand or a large gas bottle,whereas I can lift neither... Their strength helps my weakness... Is that not what life is about?

Are you really trying though or doing “play” wrestling. If not you are should be ashamed.

I usually win, to be fair I let her win when she does. She's surprisingly strong for someone so tiny though.

As for the skellington comments. I'm actually a healthy weight thanks. The amount of lads my age with beer guts just makes me look thin in comparison.

Im actually astonished at some of the stories here of lads losing arm wrestles and being out wrestled by women. Unless they are trained athletes or something. Wanna get checked out lads. Although I am 100kg + so maybe a 65/70kg man could be beaten by a strong woman I don't know. Most of my rugby team I mentioned would be 85kg and up I'd say

I wonder does arm wrestling use a very specific set of muscles that aren't used much?
    I once beat a fella at arm wrestling who was 6 foot 6 and about twice my weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

An average amatuer male MMA fighter at 135lbs would destroy the best female professional 145lbs mma fighters.

Just like the US women's soccer team lose to highschool kids, or the williams sisters got beat by a fat, drunk semi pro (back to back).

Anyone who argues otherwise is an idiot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Graces7 wrote: »
    Not quite sure what the point of the thread is...But the ferrymen here on the island can carry a sack of coal in each hand or a large gas bottle,whereas I can lift neither... Their strength helps my weakness... Is that not what life is about?
    Don't pay the ferryman, don't even name a price, till he gets you to the other side

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I'm pretty sure that Serena Williams is stronger than me

I wonder does arm wrestling use a very specific set of muscles that aren't used much?
    I once beat a fella at arm wrestling who was 6 foot 6 and about twice my weight.

Baffled completely but I believe you. Maybe some men have just never developed strength. My friends would be generally rugby and gaa players, well most of us finished or coming to a finish, and so would have been active all our lives some of us supplementing it with specific weight training. And physical jobs at least when we were younger.
    Although that said I do have a friend who is a Garda and long distance runner and he was saying he struggled to do some physical test for recruits recently, think it was lift around 20kg overhead or something. Since he started running he has lost any muscle mass he had.
    It's not that women are strong that surprises me it's that some men are so weak. I suppose muscle and strength is a use it or lose it gift. Like cardio fitness, mine is gone to the dogs!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭smilerf

By all accounts Chyna when in the WWE was tougher than some men

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

Men that are making a case for some women being stronger are simply white knighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Men that are making a case for some women being stronger are simply white knighting.

I know a couple of women that would put most men to shame, physically, astonishing focus and attention to their physical training

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I know a couple of women that would put most men to shame, physically, astonishing focus and attention to their physical training

By what measure would they put them to shame?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

By what measure would they put them to shame?

My Pilates instructor comes to mind, she has incredible strength and flexibility, she's been on her physical exercise journey most of her life, and it shows, she looks incredible, but most importantly, her mind is strong and very positive. Many people, including men, could learn a lot from such an approach to life

I also remember a time messing with a tug of war rope and 2 of us big guys about 200kg between us beat 4 ladies who I'll guess were 65-70kg each. It was tough enough though. From this thread I'd say there is as big a gap between what would be seen as a strong man and a weak man as the gap between women and weaker men. I've played with and against some smaller men who packed a huge amount of power so it's not just about size and weight.
    Actually there most certainly is when I think of our gym work. I know men that can't bench press 50kg and I know plenty of men that are up as far as 140-150kg.
    That's a big gap. I've seen lots of women benching 50kg or thereabouts so I'd say there are some women stronger than some men now that I think.of it. It would kill me to be beaten in a strength event by a woman to be honest!! Anything else fine, but not physical strength.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,261 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Does one of your arms have significantly more-developed muscles than the other one? i.e. one looks like Popeye's arm and the other looks like the leg of a small stool?

It might happen that you are spending too long doing some repetitive action over and over again with that same arm...................................maybe you should try it with your left hand next time? Might also feel like someone else is doing it

:pac:

Advertisement