Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iceland

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

This post has been deleted.
    Next you'll be telling me we're down to four provinces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Why do you want to annex a supermarket?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

According to my geography teacher, the first people to discover Iceland were Irish monks. So we clearly have a historic claim to this territory by right of first discovery. But what if this strategy backfires and the Icelandic folk take to GAA?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

We might have a problem.

Given the budgetry constraints I think our naval service could be regarded as not being able to match the capabilities of the Royal Navy next door.

Today's Royal Navy has six destroyers and thirteen frigates.

That's less ships than they used for the Cod Wars against Iceland when they were at full Cold War strength.

And they lost.

Three times.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,417 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

They must be all first cousins at this stage?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

We might have a problem.

Given the budgetry constraints I think our naval service could be regarded as not being able to match the capabilities of the Royal Navy next door.

Today's Royal Navy has six destroyers and thirteen frigates.

That's less ships than they used for the Cod Wars against Iceland when they were at full Cold War strength.

And they lost.

Three times.

If memory serves though that was much more so because of political clout than because of naval prowess?

I'd say if we were to decide to annex Iceland we'd need to be more worried about repercussions from the US than anything else.

Perhaps if we could keep them in their box if we threatened to take away acess to Shannon :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

We might have a problem.

Good news: Our defence forces are about 20-1 larger than that of Iceland in terms of personnel and budget.

But, they are in some organisation called NATO, and we are not...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Seem to be getting on fine so far judging by looking at them.

Don't forget - all humanity once had a much smaller pool that that again :eek:

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Good news: Our defence forces are about 20-1 larger than that of Iceland in terms of personnel and budget.

But, they are in some organisation called NATO, and we are not...
    Fair enough.

We'd never be able to feed that many prisoners.

• Advertisement
Advertisement