Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do the Gardas turn a blind eye to drug use in Dublin ?

Options
  • 15-06-2018 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭

I was walking past the Garden of Remembrance today and saw an individual sitting on the grass injecting drugs into his shoulder in full view of the public.

The guy made no attempt to hide his drug use it was like he was just smoking a cigarette he was so causal about it.

This begs the question are Gardas now turning a blind eye to people shooting up in public ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

If a garda sees it then they will act like any other issue. I do think they'd be very wary of junkies injecting because of the risk of the needle.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

Dr Brown wrote:
    The guy made no attempt to hide his drug use it was like he was just smoking a cigarette he was so causal about it.

Dr Brown wrote:
    This begs the question are Gardas now turning a blind eye to people shooting up in public ?

Dr Brown wrote:
    I was walking past the Garden of Remembrance today and saw an individual sitting on the grass injecting drugs into his shoulder in full view of the public.

Dr Brown wrote:

Dr Brown wrote:

What did you do about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

I can only imagine what tourists must think when they see junkies shooting up right in the open.

If was a tourist and I saw that I wouldn't come back to Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Dr Brown wrote: »

Yes

crusier wrote: »
    What did you do about it?

I got out of the area ASAP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

If was a tourist and I saw that I wouldn't come back to Dublin.

If you happened to be a tourist that likes gear you might consider it. That being said I'd wager that heroin addicts make up the only a miniscule amount of Thomas Cooks target market :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

CQeut3-VEAAOsN5.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

I remember the QE2 visit and the way they cleaned the place up to the extent it looked like Geneva or the like, I thought, 'Jaysus, she can come and live above the GPO if that's the effect she has on the place'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭wiz569

Are you sure he wasn't a diabetic?

I always presumed hard drugs were injected into veins.

wiz569 wrote: »

He was definitely a junkie he and his mate were also drinking cans of beer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭The Maverick

I got out of the area ASAP.

If you're so concerned in the future, why not ring the guards and tell them?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

wiz569 wrote: »

They will inject anyway they can and where ever they have a vein left.

I see it a lot around the city and also have seen them getting others to inject into their eyeballs.

A lot are going around abusing prescription drugs and then you will see the ones on opioids where they look like they are drifting in the wind where the legs stay in position but the full body above the waste drifts around and slumps over.

These people need very much needed help and methadone for 10, 15, 20 years isn't working.

There needs to be proper rehab places and they need to be put in to give them a chance and this should be done at the earliest point if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭mickuhaha

I have seen them taking things on Pearse st right in front of the station. I would say they are sick of arresting the same guys for the same "minor charges".

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

He was definitely a junkie he and his mate were also drinking cans of beer.

Yes, but how do you know he wasn't diabetic? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 18,888 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The Gardaí are turning a blind eye to drug taking, and other any social behavior, because when they do deal with it nothing happens to the offender but the Garda has to spend hours dealing with them.

To get the Gardaí to deal with these issues the whole justice system needs to be reviewed but the solicitors and judges are part of the problem, so the system will never be fixed to benefit the people while it benefits the people in the system so much.

Del2005 wrote: »
    The Gardaí are turning a blind eye to drug taking, and other any social behavior, because when they do deal with it nothing happens to the offender but the Garda has to spend hours dealing with them.

To get the Gardaí to deal with these issues the whole justice system needs to be reviewed but the solicitors and judges are part of the problem, so the system will never be fixed to benefit the people while it benefits the people in the system so much.

Totally agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭soiseztomabel

Do posters here think the supervised injection facilities are a good or a bad thing ?

Do posters here think the supervised injection facilities are a good or a bad thing ?

Don't agree with them. They should be closed. In my opinion if someone is braking the law they should be arrested and prosecuted not given a place to break the law. Turn them into emergency accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭francois

A good thing, keeps needles off the street for starters, though they shouldn't be just in the city centre, but in areas which need them

• Registered Users Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Legalisation probably is the only way to deal with this now, this should also include the creation of supervised injection facilities
    mickuhaha wrote:
    Don't agree with them. They should be closed. In my opinion if someone is braking the law they should be arrested and prosecuted not given a place to break the law. Turn them into emergency accommodation.

We ve been playing this 'out of sight' game with our complex social issues such as mental health and drug addiction for far too long now, and it has largely failed, it's time to try something different. This is a health issue not a legal one

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Legalisation probably is the only way to deal with this now, this should also include the creation of supervised injection facilities

We ve been playing this 'out of sight' game with our complex social issues such as mental health and drug addiction for far too long now, and it has largely failed, it's time to try something different. This is a health issue not a legal one
    That's incorrect for drugs its both. No one is hooked on any drug until they are willingly or not introduced to them. In my opinion the state should be part responsible for preventing continued self harm may it be drugs or other. One for instance would be the alcoholics that end up in a hospital every few weeks. Keep records and if they are repeatedly injuring themselves place them in a mental facilities until such a time that they can show they can be responsible for their own wellbeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭Augme

mickuhaha wrote: »
    That's incorrect for drugs its both. No one is hooked on any drug until they are willingly or not introduced to them. In my opinion the state should be part responsible for preventing continued self harm may it be drugs or other. One for instance would be the alcoholics that end up in a hospital every few weeks. Keep records and if they are repeatedly injuring themselves place them in a mental facilities until such a time that they can show they can be responsible for their own wellbeing.

No way tax-payers would be happy to fund that.

Augme wrote: »
    No way tax-payers would be happy to fund that.

With the amount of money the HSE has spent on
    the problem so far ie beds and such I would say you could offset the cost to new facilities as you would be moving the problem people to a better place to deal with their mental state rather then the physical results of their problems. No?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

mickuhaha wrote:

Have you ever spent time around addicts and the professionals that have to deal with it? There's all sorts of highly addictive substances widely in use including, legal and non legal drugs, nicotine, alcohol, I'd even class food as highly addictive etc etc. The brain tends to respond positively to the use of highly addictive substances, more so in some individuals, which can lead to addiction problems. Humans have a tendency to turn to addictive substances if certain environmental pressures are placed upon them, poverty is one such pressure, but there are many others.

The state indeed must play a role in dealing with these issues, but I suspect, no matter what approach we take, drug addiction will always be problematic. Mental health facilities, that wouldn't be another 'out of sight, out of mind' approach, would it? Talk to people that have experienced this approach, they will tell you stories of how these facilities simply don't work, where drug use is high, abuse from other patience's is common, even abuse from staff occurs.

Sadly and unfortunately, some are simply unrehabilatative, what do we do with these individuals?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

If you're so concerned in the future, why not ring the guards and tell them?

To what end though? Call the guards every time you see a junkie shooting up..... They do turn a blind eye. All that happens is they arrest the junkies. Provide them free legal aid and clog up the courts system only to be let off with another charge on their wrap sheet. Not to mention the risk a junkie poses to the health of an unarmed guard.

Only thing to do is to decriminalise it entirely. Remove the supply from gangs. Get more officers on the beat and arm them with tasers. Junkies are the least of this countries problem unfortunately. Shootings are now a daily occurrence, as are stabbings - murders and sexual assaults also appear to be on the increase (judging from the frequency of it on the news). De criminalizing drug use will remove the risk of harm to general society.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

A group of junkies were openly smoking crack on the steps going down from James' Street to Bow bridge yesterday evening. Crack pipe in full view.

There was another junkie openly doing the lighter under the tinfoil thing with little baggies of heroin on the ground below him a few days ago.

I really don't like walking down that way but they tend to ignore you so....

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Have you ever spent time around addicts and the professionals that have to deal with it? There's all sorts of highly addictive substances widely in use including, legal and non legal drugs, nicotine, alcohol, I'd even class food as highly addictive etc etc. The brain tends to respond positively to the use of highly addictive substances, more so in some individuals, which can lead to addiction problems. Humans have a tendency to turn to addictive substances if certain environmental pressures are placed upon them, poverty is one such pressure, but there are many others.

The state indeed must play a role in dealing with these issues, but I suspect, no matter what approach we take, drug addiction will always be problematic. Mental health facilities, that wouldn't be another 'out of sight, out of mind' approach, would it? Talk to people that have experienced this approach, they will tell you stories of how these facilities simply don't work, where drug use is high, abuse from other patience's is common, even abuse from staff occurs.

Sadly and unfortunately, some are simply unrehabilatative, what do we do with these individuals?
    I have spent time with addict's and visited mental health facilities which are very different from rehab facility. The mental health facilities were very good there were voluntary and non voluntary patients and two separate area . Non voluntary patients were locked in rooms after a certain time and voluntary were in shared wards. There were no drugs around at all and no abuse from staff. People could begin to deal with problems away from the stress of life. If a member of society is braking the law or putting others at risk to you put them in jail where there no mandatory rehabilitation programs . My line is lock them somewhere where they will be released when they are mentally capable ( if there a danger to themselves and their health).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Just look at the carry on outside Christchurch. Openly selling drugs and a blind eye is turned. Walk past it every morning and it’s been going on for years. This area must have the largest footfall of tourists in the capital.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Great idea. I lived in Sydney when they opened up one and the number of overdoses and needles on the streets fell dropped massively.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Treating the mental health of someone wont cure the addiction.

The government have been constantly changing their treatment ideas since the 1950s.
    It used to be treated under the mental health act ,then it went to health.
    The current thinking is that its both.

Harm reduction needs to be part of that. Injection centres,clean needles need to be part of that.

Then there needs to be more residential detox facilities. Get the addicts clean and stabilised (not methadone for years and years) and only then can you treat the mental side of things.

Locking them in a mental facility wont fix the problem. Locking them in jail with no rehab facilities wont fix the problem.

Detox,stabilisation and then ongoing even lifelong mental health treatment is whats needed.

Studies have shown that stabilisation and then residential detox with after treatment support is the ideal solution and the most effective in achieving complete abstinence. However there are some addicts that this will not work for and in that case long term stabilisation with whatever substance is required can help addicts lead a decent standard of living.

Advertisement