Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yakuza / Like A Dragon Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

quokula wrote: »
    I have now played the mission with the minigame where you have to not fall asleep during a bad movie and I take back anything negative I said.

GOTY

Seen that in a review, Looks nuts :D Bought the game there so hopefully be downloaded for tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

https://twitter.com/gematsucom/status/1329784881396772870

I am hoping they finally announce a western release of Yakuza Ishin. I am tempted to buy it more lately and just hope they release it in the west to save me using a guide

I'm on to Chapter 4 in Like a Dragon and I don't think I've laughed this much playing a game before. Its got all the JRPG elements but their all pulled off in the most over the top Yakuza way possible. Have 3 members in my party now and some extra moves unlocked so combat is getting a bit more diverse. Have 2 summons unlocked and their awesomely done.

Really liking Ichiban as the protagonist. Started it in Japanese with subs but after Chapter 2 I switched to English dub out of curiously and I've left it there since. Thought it would be weird but the voice acting is pretty well done for the most part and the actor for Ichiban suits him well. Great game so far. Slow to start and a lot of cutscenea but that's par for the course with Yakuza games in my experience

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Thinking about diving into Yakuza 2 once the external HDD issue with the Ps5 is fixed.

Can any fans of the series let me know is it okay to skip 3,4,5

Cause I own Kiwami 2, 6 song of the dragon and judgement.

I heard that 3-5 are just remasters? it just for time sake do I miss much skipping them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭quokula

I've finished Yakuza Like a Dragon now.

Overall I'd say it's a great game, but not quite up there with some of the previous games. I enjoy turn based JRPGs so I'm totally on board with that shift, but the combat system just wasn't a great one for a JRPG. While the various jobs were very creative and amusing, nearly every character was better off staying in their default job and the system pretty much punished you for changing between them and experimenting as you carry so little from one job to the next, but your stats suffer so much by going back down to rank 1, and the XP curve is such that you never ever fully catch up on ranks you missed while experimenting with other jobs.

There's also the way characters randomly walk around in battle, which makes the battles look good and not look like a static JRPG fight, but it turns most AOE abilities into a completely random crapshoot. Add to that the unnecessary QTEs accompanying nearly every ability, the block timing, and the rush to try and hit people who are knocked down for bonus damage before they stand back up, and it makes for a weird uncomfortable merge of realtime elements into a turn based system that doesn't quite gel.

The worst thing about it though was the final third of the game where some enemies become massive damage sponges. You're never under threat or having to think tactically, but it can just take forever to whittle down some healthbars. There are some bosses that are really bad for this, but even some random encounter enemies have this problem which can get annoying when just trying to run across town to your next objective. My final playtime was probably several hours longer than it needed to be because of this.

With all that said, the new combat system did give them the opportunity to have some really creative and hilarious enemy types and special moves, applying RPG tropes to a modern setting brilliantly. I loved some of the creative moves like hobos with poison breath, chefs who can burn you with cooking equipment, or rappers who can stun you by throwing down controversial lyrics. I also love the little touches like the way your team members stay in character and start shouting how pissed off they are at an enemy when they've been infected with the rage status effect for example.

The combat system also allowed the story to be enriched by virtue of having a party rather than one character. I enjoyed the story, it was everything you'd expect from a Yakuza game and while Kasuga took a little time to grow on me he turned out to be a great main character, and a lot more nuanced than Kiryu was. The supporting cast was also excellent, and I thought it was extremely well voiced in English having been unsure about whether to go for that or subtitles at the beginning.

And then there's the sidequests, which are as good as any Yakuza game. The business management is really compelling, and the cinema minigame is just hilarious. I thought the kart racing suffered a little from poor handling, but it was still a fun ride. Then there were so many fun sidequests and things to do on top of that to make for a game that's just so densely packed with fun things to do.

It will be interesting to see where they go next. I think they can definitely iterate and improve on the new combat style to get it to a good place, but I would still like to see a traditional Yakuza again in future too though, just so I can get some good classic fun hitting people over the head with bicycles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

Thinking about diving into Yakuza 2 once the external HDD issue with the Ps5 is fixed.

I heard that 3-5 are just remasters? it just for time sake do I miss much skipping them.

Kiwami 2 is ****ing unreal. There's a lot of story building in 3-5 and they introduce places and characters that appear in 6 as well. I finished 3,went straight on to 4 and played about 75% of it, and then took a break for a few months before starting in to 5 (which is absolutely massive and is taking far longer than I expected).

Judgement is class though as a spin off game based in Kamourocho, it's built on the dragon engine which Kiwami & Kiwami 2 were done with. You will notice the lack of that engine in 3-5 as they are just remasters.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,507 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Bought the Remastered collection today in Argos for 26 quid. Went get to start then until the new year with me current games on the go but looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,682 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

It's nice to play Yakuza games on the Xbox. Currently downloading Kiwami II which is on Game Pass.

Remastered Collection (3,4 & 5) coming to Game Pass on the 28th of January.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I did the same , played 1 and 2 then played zero, then played 6 which is unreal and then judgement and now playing 7 , I would recommend playing them in order if you can , zero then 1-7 then judgement.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

ERG89 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/gematsucom/status/1329784881396772870

I am hoping they finally announce a western release of Yakuza Ishin. I am tempted to buy it more lately and just hope they release it in the west to save me using a guide

Was there any announcement ?

Was there any announcement ?

No Ishin anyway.....they announced the next game is in development but not if its one like Yakuza 0-6 or Like a Dragon.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

They did announce a long term contract with the voice actor for Ichiban so it looks like he's going to be around a lot in future games in any case

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Gyan84

Finished Yakuza 3 recently and really enjoyed it even though it was a big graphical downgrade from 0 and the kiwami games.

I liked the change of setting to the orphanage in Okinawa after 3 games set entirely in big cities.

Was surprised Major
    that they killed off Rikiya as I thought he was going to stay under Kiryu's wing, especially since 4 seems to have multiple protagonists.

Only thing I really didn't like was this version of the hostess club mini game. I liked it in the others but here it was just a menu selection followed by walking a lap around the club and repeat.

I'm playing persona 5 royal now so should get to Yakuza 4 by 2025 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Gyan84 wrote: »
    Only thing I really didn't like was this version of the hostess club mini game. I liked it in the others but here it was just a menu selection followed by walking a lap around the club and repeat.

Probably one of the reasons it was removed from the original western release on PS3.

https://twitter.com/RGGStudio/status/1356378364488130560?s=19

No plans to bring it to PC & no PS4 upgrade path. No thanks.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Weird that isn't getting a PC release, rumors have it that Google may have come to deal with Sega to keep it Stadia exclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭quokula

So since first discovering the series with Yakuza 6 a few years ago, I’ve played 0, Kiwami, Kiwami 2, 6, 7 and Judgment and thoroughly enjoyed them all.

With it being a while now since finishing 7 before Christmas I thought I’d head back to Kamurocho and fired up Yakuza 3 remastered. But.. Those animations. Those graphics. That UI. Old fashioned UX things like looking for save points.

I’m not sure I can go back to PS3 era gaming. I’ve only played an hour or so but really not feeling it. Does it get better? Did anyone else have this initial reaction and get over it? Is it worth persevering?

quokula wrote: »
    So since first discovering the series with Yakuza 6 a few years ago, I’ve played 0, Kiwami, Kiwami 2, 6, 7 and Judgment and thoroughly enjoyed them all.

With it being a while now since finishing 7 before Christmas I thought I’d head back to Kamurocho and fired up Yakuza 3 remastered. But.. Those animations. Those graphics. That UI. Old fashioned UX things like looking for save points.

I’m not sure I can go back to PS3 era gaming. I’ve only played an hour or so but really not feeling it. Does it get better? Did anyone else have this initial reaction and get over it? Is it worth persevering?

I finished it recently and enjoyed it although it is very outdated compared to the newer ones.

If you're interested in the story and the change of setting to Okinawa/the orphanage I'd stick with it but if it's just gameplay you want I'd skip it.

Finished Persona 5 so decided to play Yakuza 4.

Finished Part 1/the first four chapters. Gameplay wise it's much better than 3.

I absolutely hate the character you play as though
    He loans money to the guy who has no idea what type of company he wants to start but he refuses to lend to the wife escaping her abusive husband because she wouldn't take a job in the red light district :confused:

He also criticizes her saying anyone who wants a job bad enough will get one, despite the fact he was homeless for years and only got out of it because of the money explosion from the end of the first game.

Part 2's story seems more interesting even though I've only started it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,858 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Playing Like a Dragon at the moment. Absolutely adoring it. The combat system is excellent. What I wasn't expecting was how laugh out loud hilarious it was. Just got to a pokemon satire and I was wetting myself laughing at it.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Playing Like a Dragon at the moment. Absolutely adoring it. The combat system is excellent. What I wasn't expecting was how laugh out loud hilarious it was. Just got to a pokemon satire and I was wetting myself laughing at it.

I still have Yakuza 3,4 & 5 to play but the old engine is putting me off. I'm not a fan of the the look of the new combat but mad to try it as it needed freshening up anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,858 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I still have Yakuza 3,4 & 5 to play but the old engine is putting me off. I'm not a fan of the the look of the new combat but mad to try it as it needed freshening up anyway.

I really don't know what the hang up is about the combat engine. It's one of the best JRPG combat systems I've used. Loads of tactics, you have to take into account spacing. You have timed elements to attacks. It also feeds into the overall story. It's basically Dargon Quest right down to the job system but with a load more complexity and fun layered on top. Sega don't make many JRPGs but when they do they are usually incredible and Yakuza 7 is no different.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I really don't know what the hang up is about the combat engine. It's one of the best JRPG combat systems I've used. Loads of tactics, you have to take into account spacing. You have timed elements to attacks. It also feeds into the overall story. It's basically Dargon Quest right down to the job system but with a load more complexity and fun layered on top. Sega don't make many JRPGs but when they do they are usually incredible and Yakuza 7 is no different.

I think it's just that the old combat was so fun so weary of anything new. Also, the last turn based combat I played was South Park TFBW :pac:

I usually play one Yakuza game a year, and seeing 6 is on Game Pass I will play that.

I'm really enjoying the change in combat too. Its a break from the traditional Yakuza combat which can get a wee bit button mashey at times. I seen people were giving out that some later battles can drag on but if you keep upgrading gear you shouldn't have too much of that happening. Having said that I enjoy turn based combat anyway so that helps.

I'm currently at the point where I need some cash to continue the story and started paying attention to the business management mini game I'd been ignoring. Now I can't stop playing the mini game and I'm in no rush to get back to the story until I grow my empire :)

The pokemon thing cracked me up too, came out of nowhere

Ooohh business management mini game, my favourite part of the Yakuza games. Does it compare to any of the earlier ones like cabaret, clan creator?

Edit: Looks like they have Cabaret, business management and tons more. Damn ye, I was happily ignoring this and I want it now!

I'm loving the Can collecting game as well. It plays a bit like Pac Man but weirder.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Ooohh business management mini game, my favourite part of the Yakuza games. Does it compare to any of the earlier ones like cabaret, clan creator?

Edit: Looks like they have Cabaret, business management and tons more. Damn ye, I was happily ignoring this and I want it now!

Its kind of like a mix of the cabaret and the property one, has elements of both. Its well done though. I'm about 30 hours in to the game, picked it up again now after a bit of a break and really enjoying it again. I tend to not pay huge attention to side quests in games but love picking them up in this, and most Yakuza games in fairness.

The summons are nuts also, always make me laugh

• Advertisement

I missed out on buying this for 26 quid off Adverts by 1 day. I completely blame Retro for not posting about his thoughts yesterday instead of today.

I see a few places selling the ps4 version for 25 but currently sold out while they sell the ps5 version for 40. Strange as it's a free upgrade.

Advertisement