Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yakuza / Like A Dragon Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,484 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

3 is out today, 4 unlocks in October and 5 unlocks in February. It's on the Irish psn store now, search Yakuza remastered. 60 euro, looks like you can't buy them separately.

https://twitter.com/RGGStudio/status/1163858233489907712?s=19

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

You can't buy them separate though :/?

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Hopefully that collection comes to PC as well.

From my understanding of it 5 is the best of them and contender for best game in the series?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

It's getting a physical release in February too, comes with an empty PS3 box for Yakuza 5 as it was released digital only outside Asia.
    3492ECF2-C1E5-459E-BD53-5B5D9C01806D-1024x583.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

Are these full remakes with the new engine like Yakuza Kiwami 2 or are they basic remasters?

• Advertisement

quokula wrote: »
    Are these full remakes with the new engine like Yakuza Kiwami 2 or are they basic remasters?

Remasters.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Arcadeheroes

Azza wrote: »
    Hopefully that collection comes to PC as well.

From my understanding of it 5 is the best of them and contender for best game in the series?

Yakuza 5 has a wider variety of different Play-styles but it was my 2nd least favourite game in the series . The ending made up for it , but you'll might enjoy it more than I did =)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It looks like Yakuza Ishin is under consideration for localisation as well.

Yakuza 7. New characters, new location and new....jrpg turn based battle system.... I know the combat definitely need a fresh look but this is way out there.

https://twitter.com/Kotaku/status/1166947817149140992?s=19

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

And just like that, I'm turned off the entire series. I've been quietly playing through them since I got a PS4 (starting with 0), but if I'm going to be presented with JRPG mechanics to continue the story when I get as far as 7, I'm honestly not all that interested in carrying on at all - such is my hatred for JRPG cool-down based mechanics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Slowly working my way through the series so this is great news.

Another excuse to add a link to the track Reign from Yakuza 0. Being on the ship beating the living daylights out of people with this playing was amazing.

https://youtu.be/f_60AJiVEh4

I love turn based combat, I love jrpgs but I really don't know how to feel about yakuza 7. This is just baffling although I do have faith in the studio to pull it off well, this really seems like a strange decision at best and an awful decision at worst.

There's no way will this help growth in the west

Shiminay wrote: »
    And just like that, I'm turned off the entire series. I've been quietly playing through them since I got a PS4 (starting with 0), but if I'm going to be presented with JRPG mechanics to continue the story when I get as far as 7, I'm honestly not all that interested in carrying on at all - such is my hatred for JRPG cool-down based mechanics.

I'm sort of the opposite.

I never played a Yakuza game for years, I dismissed it as being like God of War or Bayonetta or various other button bashers that people seem to like but I just didn't get.

Then on a whim I picked up Yakuza 6 a couple of years ago (with no idea how story driven it was and how 6 was a finale) and absolutely loved it. If it was billed as an RPG from the beginning I'd have been in there - so much of the side quests, minigames and cutscenes are much closer to a JRPG than what you expect from a beat em up. It's about inhabiting a world and a character. A character who happens to solve problems with his fists.

I've since played 0, Kiwami, Kiwami 2 and it's fast become my favourite series and the combat mechanics wouldn't be high on my list of reasons why, though I do find them enjoyable. I'm interested to see how the new mechanics play out.

Honestly, the biggest shock to take for me about Y7 is no Kamurocho. No Kiryu is a very big deal too but that was already known.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Shiminay wrote: »

Well the good news is that I don't believe Y7 is continuing any storylines. They're even dropping the number in the west.

Not sure how I feel about it, they'll need to be big changes in terms of pacing and mob fights for a turn based system to work.

That said, I'm only on Kiwami 2 at the moment so it'll probably be like 5 years before I even get round to playing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,643 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Remastered Collection out next Tuesday :cool: Didn't play a Yakuza game in over a year so I'll start playing Yakuza 3 on Tuesday.

I was gonna ignore this for a while but with the pushback of some releases, I'm very tempted. Jordan or anyone else, how are ye finding 3? As they are not Kiwami's (upgraded remakes), does it still hold up?

Out tomorrow anyway for 60 quid, will be interested to see how much argos sell it for, if they even get it in.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I was gonna ignore this for a while but with the pushback of some releases, I'm very tempted. Jordan or anyone else, how are ye finding 3? As they are not Kiwami's (upgraded remakes), does it still hold up?

Out tomorrow anyway for 60 quid, will be interested to see how much argos sell it for, if they even get it in.
    I haven't played 3 yet. I will be playing it tomorrow as I'm getting the remastered collection :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Arcadeheroes

Zero-Cool wrote: »

Yakuza 3 is amazing , but I completed it years ago on ps3 . the remaster version is the first time the west is getting all the mini games and side content that was cut so I def am looking forward to playing it again :).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Its not a Yakuza game per say But im Loving this Fist of the North Star game. Anyone else play it?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Its not a Yakuza game per say But im Loving this Fist of the North Star game. Anyone else play it?

Yup,great game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

If only it had a PC release :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Does the day 1 edition of the remastered collection come with a steelbook, it would be nice to round out Kiwami 1&2 with one.

Xenji wrote: »
    Does the day 1 edition of the remastered collection come with a steelbook, it would be nice to round out Kiwami 1&2 with one.
    It doesn't.

I cant afford the remastered edition right now but I got Yakuza 6 for 20 so ima jump forward in the story for now.

3 and 4 just don't hold up when compared to the new engine games

Can't see myself ever going back to play them

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Does it play similar to Yakuza ? It's 20 euro on store now

Does it play similar to Yakuza ? It's 20 euro on store now

Yeah, it's basically Yakuza set in the post apocalyptic world of Fist of the North Star. There is also dlc to swap Kenshiro out with Kazuma.

Has anyone played Judgement? Is it up to the Yakuza standard?

Has anyone played Judgement? Is it up to the Yakuza standard?

I had it but traded it in after a few missions. I couldn't come around to the main character and the tailing missions were horribly boring as they are in every game. I have a feeling i didn't give it enough time but i just wasn't feeling it. I love the idea of being a detective and the combat was great, just missing the yakuza charm for me.

• Advertisement

Personally I really liked Judgment. Most of the main characters are more "real" and down to earth than the typical Yakuza games which can be a bit more cartoonish, and the main plot is a little less over the top (though still features some extreme conspiracy theories) to the point where I enjoyed it more and found a lot of the characters more relatable, with a lot more grey areas than simple heroes and villains.

The side quests often don't match the tone at all though as they can still be full on Yakuza bat**** crazy, which was more charming when Kiryu got naively sucked into ridiculous situations, whereas Yagami is a bit more streetwise and rolls his eyes at how stupid some of the situations are, but basically goes along with them because he's being paid to as a detective which doesn't quite sit right.

A lot of quests both inside and outside the main plot also ultimately end up getting resolved through fist fighting just like Yakuza, which made sense with Kiryu who's whole character revolves around solving problems with his fists, but makes less sense when in cutscenes your character is generally much more comfortable analysing clues and building court cases.

In terms of gameplay the combat is as solid as ever, the new "detective" features of looking for clues / tailing people / chasing people are nothing special but they do help with variety as you switch between different activities and it's all paced pretty well. I think I've ended listing more negatives than positives here but I really enjoyed it overall as it still retains many of the best things about Yakuza, in the most modern and polished version of the game engine to date.

Advertisement