Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiny number of social units being built:

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    but we all know, the weird and wonderful world of taxation doesnt really work like that, bits go here there and everywhere

Given that you understand this, why are you asking asinine rhetorical questions like:
    so all of your tax goes into welfare payments?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,014 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

El Tarangu wrote: »
    Given that you understand this, why are you asking asinine rhetorical questions like:

it could have been interpreted from the post that most, if not all income tax goes towards welfare payments. its clearly obvious that our housing issues are far more complex than the behavior of welfare recipients

doolox wrote: »
    Don't get married to a person who wants kids, you can't afford it.
    If at all possible buy a small apartment on your own. If not share with a like minded person re: having no kids.

Do not get sick or lose good health or you will lose apartment and be homeless.

Do not trust your employer to hold on to your job, be at all times aware of the need to cover your ass, be ever mindful of the competition in your sector and be ready to move at a moments notice if and when things go pear-shaped.

Learn and apply the rules of finance and credit control to all your spheres of life. If you have a tracker hold onto it for dear life, it is the cheapest money you will ever get.

I now have two kids both adults and both no longer needing full time care and financial support as they used to. My wife had early menopause and we were sad at the time. Boy! are We glad we didn't have more kids! My job went pearshaped and I was let go, my wifes work is also precarious but our mortgage is paid and we are solvent with little or no debts. The only thing now that can screw us is bad health.

My health, esp eyesight, is not as good as it was so younger people can beat the crap out of me in my chosen career. You need VERY good eyesight for electronics hardware repair now and an infinite supply of delicate hand skills and repair knowledge. Get it wrong and you are toast......

I have been lucky to have another line of work that , hour for hour, pays me better than any electronic or factory job could ever do. These types of manual, non-degree jobs are dead now anyway. Do not be afraid to re-invent yourself and, most importantly, do not blame other people such as bosses and accountants etc for closing down your factory and f%$"$ing up your life. This gives them too much power.

If possible go free lance and have many employers. It is no longer wise to rely on one employer for your existence, it gives them far too much power.

Save like a squirrel and eschew unnecessary spending. Do not heed advertisers and sponsored messages encouraging spending. Every Euro IS a prisoner.

Excellent. A thread where more experienced people give reflections about life from the vantage point of leaving/having left the rat race would be a good idea actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,027 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Cyrus wrote: »
    Think about what you just said

And no I wouldn’t

of course you would. you hardly think the government would reduce the rate you pay?

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

of course you would. you hardly think the government would reduce the rate you pay?

If their current expenditure fell by over €20Billion a year then, of course, income tax, PRSI and USC would drastically reduce. Taxes have reduced in the past as a result of massively smaller reductions in spend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,908 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Of course I wouldn’t you have no idea what you are talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Lol Gerry has 3 holiday homes, don’t make laugh.

Does he? Where are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

I'm just bumping this so the front page can have to opposing yet equally silly threads on social housing.

Edit. When I bumped it knocked the other one off :( maybe its for the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

no, as opposed to the reality that we have a ridiculously high cost of living that needs to be brought down.

Most of the time I disagree with things you say, but I agree with this one. Although I may end up at a different destination to you.

The issues are affordability and supply, and the state should not be distorting the housing situation beyond fixing those.

E.g. imagine there is capacity to build 5 houses in the country, but 10 citizens have a need for a house.
    If the economically-right-wing market rules applied, then the wealthiest 5 citizens would own houses, and the cost would be €1 more than the 6th is able/willing to pay.

If an economically-left-wing state steps in and make houses affordable to the bottom 4 citizens, then there is only one house available for those who could have afforded to buy those houses. And its price is €1 more than the second wealthiest person can pay.

The state should do what's needed to fix the supply side and the affordability. ("build upwards", penalise land hoarding, etc). Ensure those with a reasonable income who can afford to pay a reasonable rent/mortgage can do so.

With more affordable prices, the state can more cheaply obtain its own bank of properties to rent to those who are not in a position to house themselves. And there should be fewer such people when housing costs are more affordable.

The state needs to be smarter about its properties. No sales of its houses. A person's need for a state housing should be periodically reevaluated. No point in a couple living in a larger property years after the children have left. (Perhaps this already standard?)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,190 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    so all of your tax goes into welfare payments?

DSP expenditure = 20-21 billion

Total social benefits exp = 28,921m

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/gfsa/governmentfinancestatisticsapril2018/

Direct taxes = 30,801m, note that this includes CT and CGT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Olsky

New figures show 19% of social housing offers were rejected last year. 300 families opted to stay in private hotels rather than the private rental sector.
    Do people not realize that social welfare expenditure includes the billions that is being given to hotel owners, vulture funds and investment funds that are making a fortune from this policy.
    The answer to the housing crisis is easy.
    Build social housing and make those in need of housing take it. Stop subsidising the rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Olsky wrote: »
    New figures show 19% of social housing offers were rejected last year. 300 families opted to stay in private hotels rather than the private rental sector.
    Do people not realize that social welfare expenditure includes the billions that is being given to hotel owners, vulture funds and investment funds that are making a fortune from this policy.
    The answer to the housing crisis is easy.
    Build social housing and make those in need of housing take it. Stop subsidising the rich.

With the increasing and serious problems in the private rental sector? And you neatly omitted that it is all but impossible to find a private rental within HAP limits ,which are the real and justifiable reasons for many refusals.

Been down that path and almost ended up living in the car.

Your last sentence makes no sense, a non sequitur to the article you refer to which is about the private rental sector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Lots of people paying rent who can't afford to run a car

Advertisement