Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert holidays

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

You'd think these were a new invention.

Club 1830 started in the 70's, and virtually from the get go they were all about boozing and shagging.

The Summer of Love 88/89?

Noone remember the lad/ladette culture of the 90's?

People give out about the youngins being soft these days, it's the adults that are melting.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It's actually Carl for Torquay, but shhh....

Asb to the holiday - they'll probably be adults within a year, so what are you going to do then to stop them, or does this kind of holiday only happen when you're 17?
    No that was Carl from Colchester during my experimental phase in Malta back in 08. Himself and his wife Gretchin from Grimsby invited me back their apartment one evening. They were a very pleasant middle aged couple , we stiill keep in touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I've done drinking holidays and interrailing at that age so it would be a bit unfair not to allow kids to do it. It will come with a lecture about unprotected sex and stupid drunken antics.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,428 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Nearly every year we hear about people dying swimming in Ireland once the temperatures pick up.
    Should we ban people swimming in fine weather?

No, you do the best to make sure people have the cop on to when/where it's safe to swim and things such as being careful around alcohol/etc.
    Same thing thing with people going on holidays abroad. The vast majority of people get on fine with no issues.
    If I did have children I would trust them to go on a leaving cert holiday once they had a general cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Bitches Be Trypsin

I think Leaving Cert holidays are grand, but lots of students would be saving to do their first year of college instead of a week of drinking. Definitely don't think parents should be paying for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

If l can't afford to flash me spaniel's ears on a sun lounger in Santa Ponsa, I sure as hell won't be forkin' out for one of me childer to be doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

How many of you who are saying it's grand are parents of teenagers?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Dunno 'bout anyone else, but I'm a parent of a teenager.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

My kids are younger. I'm not saying I wouldn't be worried but how do you say no to an eighteen year old if they have their own money for the holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I wish late teenage drinking and bad behaviour hadn't been invented 10 years ago. Things were so much safer in the old days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

nearly every year there's at least one report of a fatal or life changing accident to some young person with their whole life ahead of them.

At least one? Out of how many students exactly? Is my memory messing with me or was there something like 120 thousand students in 2017?

The last mortality rate I read for Ireland if I recall correctly was about 6.5 / 1000.

So statistically 1 death in a group of 120000 people is not all that concerning. Even if instead of drinking, taking drugs and having sex they all had a debauchery free summer of swimming, golfing, water kayaking, camping, biking and fishing you would quite likely STILL find some minimum statistical level of accidents and death in a group that large.

Probably significantly more than "at least one" which could even suggest the holiday types concerning you are actually SAFER than other pursuits. How many people were injured or killed while playing pokemon go for example? What are the injury and death rates from merely using a mobile phone while walking, crossing the street, cycling or driving for example?

I suspect you have less to be concerned about with these "holidays" then you appear to believe. If the statistics on life changing, or ending, accidents on such holidays start to noticeably exceed the baseline injury and death rate you would expect from a demographic of 120,000 people THEN we can explore the concerns more meaningfully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Perhaps a bit too close to the bone at what you used to get up to yourself and with whom back in the day?

Seriously, what is lacking in your life that you have to post rubbish like this.

Or are you just determined to live up to your username?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

_Brian wrote: »
    What holiday do they need.
    Grand if they have been working and saved up the money but parents throwing out a few grand for it is foolish and stinks of boom time new money families.
    I was 17 and I went straight to work to save money for college, left home that September and never lived at home again.

I think that this may be what they call a First World problem...Never heard of it before,,

Advertisement