Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert holidays

Options
  • 15-06-2018 12:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭

I've heard of a few parents recently just putting their foot down and refusing to pay for these. I don't blame them to be honest. Apart from the massive boozing, partying, drugs etc. nearly every year there's at least one report of a fatal or life changing accident to some young person with their whole life ahead of them.

Would you be happy for your teenager to go on one after a year of hard slog, or do you think they should become a thing of the past?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,214 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I don't have kids, but if it counts - I'd be happy for your hot 18 year old teenage daughter to come off on one with me

Life-changing sez you?

Damn straight it will be sez I

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

My mother brought me to Knock to pray for better results.

Times have changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭valoren

Yep, it's not as if the holiday will be one of lounging by the pool, indulging in the local cuisine and partaking in a few beer shandies.

The whole purpose of it is a sort of Irish version of 'Spring Break' in the US where the point of that being to celebrate a little freedom by getting pissed and laid.

A former classmate of mine's younger brother died on one of these Leaving Cert holidays. Got drunk, made his way back to his apartment, got lost, collapsed on the beach and drowned on his own vomit. There's the sense of letting them live but if they are to go on such a holiday, I guess you have to make a judgement call. If they are responsible and accept that they must be careful then yeah let them go, but if they're gullible, easily lead or a bit thick I'd be wary.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

About time parents copped on and didn't give in to all the little dears demands.

Two weeks in a teenage kid free zone? Yourself and the moth sa baile dancing naked to Abba in the kitchen. Jesus, that would be like 10 honeymoons all at once (We did honeymoons in style back in the day!).

I'd pay, any day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

I don't have kids, but if it counts - I'd be happy for your hot 18 year old teenage daughter to come off on one with me

Life-changing sez you?

Damn straight it will be sez I

:pac:

I really wonder what way your mind works. That's not even funny or interesting or witty. It's just really childish and stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I've heard of a few parents recently just putting their foot down and refusing to pay for these. I don't blame them to be honest. Apart from the massive boozing, partying, drugs etc. nearly every year there's at least one report of a fatal or life changing accident to some young person with their whole life ahead of them.

Would you be happy for your teenager to go on one after a year of hard slog, or do you think they should become a thing of the past?

Unfortunately your point about a fatality or life changing accident has come to pass already this week with the tragic death of a young man from Limerick in Majorca.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

My plan is to offer to pay for a euro-railing trip for the summer before college rather than a week in Santa Ponsa.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I have to face the many arguments over this next summer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Never got a holiday.

Got a ticket to Witnness music festival though which was even better as it was a scorcher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,312 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Went to Spain for mine. Me and fourteen other lads

But we all paid for it ourselves. All came back alive and well. No harm done.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

We are not at this stage yet with our 2 but just read this morning about the young lad from Limerick. I think we may be two of those Parents who put their foot down. Certainly I can't see my Husband agreeing to fund it. Neither of us would have gone on that style of holiday after the Leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,064 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Grayson wrote: »
    My mother brought me to Knock to pray for better results.

Times have changed.

Once the paper is submitted no prayer in the world can change the answers

Never went on one, never had a core group of friends in school

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Going this summer. Paid for by himself, not by us. Please God he'll come back safely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Not really in keeping with the thread title, but when my oldest was finished his leaving cert I organised a job for him in Spain for 2 months ( Salou) I paid for his flights and gave him enough money for 2 weeks. He was 17 at the time. The best thing I ever did. The independence it taught him was invaluable. Plus he had a blast, although I didn't ask for details.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,522 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

What holiday do they need.
    Grand if they have been working and saved up the money but parents throwing out a few grand for it is foolish and stinks of boom time new money families.
    I was 17 and I went straight to work to save money for college, left home that September and never lived at home again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

The Boom mightn't be back at all so

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Irelandmaryd

My daughter went last year and is going again this year I was a nervous wreck the whole time but she had a blast. The majority pay for it themselves. There is a lot of tragic accidents and I show her each and every one but I couldn't stop her going. They will party and drink just as much in college in Septmeber.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,214 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I really wonder what way your mind works. That's not even funny or interesting or witty. It's just really childish and stupid.

Perhaps a bit too close to the bone at what you used to get up to yourself and with whom back in the day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

*pssst* Look at the account name! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ANDREWMUFC

Out to drink for two weeks straight and shag loads of English pussy after a hard years study

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

ANDREWMUFC wrote: »
    Out to drink for two weeks straight and shag loads of English pussy after a hard years study

Waaaaaauuuuuuuu lads on tour wha? Weeeeeeehhhhhhhh

Goin' off ridin'? Drinkin'? Druggin'? Wayyyyyyyyyyy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

Lovely young fella from the village I spent most of my life in died after an accident in Spain yesterday. May he Rest In Peace. It's the stuff of nightmares and everyone is shocked and upset. I feel so sorry for his family. It really makes you think of how fragile life is. Here one moment and gone the next. I know you can't wrap them in cotton wool but it's so frightening how easily these things happen and life is snuffed out before it's even began properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

I would gladly back a campaign to ban 'shots' which are basically full of whiskeys, vodkas and everything of that ilk!?
    My job puts me in the frontline of the 'outcome' of delving in such potent beverages on a night out and it's not pretty. I would never sugar-coat the absolute state of some/lots of our 'dear' late teens/early twenties children as they make their way home or to a house party etc...you would think there was a massive drug problem and yes there is obviously drugs being consumed, but most are just totally out of it and it's down to the amount of alcohol that's in their system! I can tolerate beer 'drunkenness' to an extent and of course there's no harm in a couple wee ones at the end of the night. But these lads/lassies are starting and finishing their nights on these absolute potent drinks..
    Also I've been predicting for a number of years now,, that we'll have an epidemic of alcoholics going into the future.. After all it's mainly 'wee-ones' vodkas/whiskeys/bourbons/rums etc etc that take hold/get a grip on vulnerable drinkers!?
    #ban shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I think they're going to become more a thing of the future than a thing of the past. I know you said it's after a year of hard slog, but I'd see it as more of a reward for the six years work he's put in (he'll do transition year). In that sense then no, I wouldn't have any issue with paying for him to go on holiday with his friends after he's put in the work.

If when the time comes he wants to pay for it himself, then that's even better :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I was off with Carly from Peterborough in Tenerife back in 07.

Had a lot of miles on the clock by then but still a very pleasant individual. Fell in love so I did. :o

Is that Carly from Carly does Tenerife?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

They deserve a holiday. I don't get why it has to be to some debaucherous location though. Would a nice city holiday where they won't go completely crazy be so bad? My little brother is going to malta with some mates for a holiday in a nice little historic city, nice food, renting a house with a pool..sounds way nicer than being constantly ****ed or hungover for a week straight in magaluf to me. Hell be drinking/partying sure, but those specifically designated 'party islands ' or resorts breed a certain kind of crazy and dangerous behaviour because theres no locals/families or much police or security or any businesses/premises other than party hostels and bars to enforce any kind of normality or civilised behaviour

• Registered Users Posts: 33,241 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Ipso wrote: »
    I was off with Carly from Peterborough in Tenerife back in 07.

Had a lot of miles on the clock by then but still a very pleasant individual. Fell in love so I did. :o

Is that Carly from Carly does Tenerife?

It's actually Carl for Torquay, but shhh....

Asb to the holiday - they'll probably be adults within a year, so what are you going to do then to stop them, or does this kind of holiday only happen when you're 17?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

I’d never heard of the concept of Leaving Cert holidays until I went to college. They weren’t a thing in my wesht of Ireland school. Plus, my folks’ attitude was that school was our job and we should be doing well at it. No carrot-dangling necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Back home a lot of the companies offering these trips creep on the debs comitees that consist of students themselves. My sister was in one. They offer a sponsorship of a grand or two and in return you sign a contract that at least X people have to book this trip. They usually send young and charismatic people in that tell the kids how cool and amazing it is. They don't tell them though how stupidly overpriced these holidays are and about extra costs. Sister was going rampage to go on it (would be standard for the folks to pay because you wouldn't find a job under 18 and as a student). After long fights my folks were giving in only for her to cancel the trip 2 weeks before because her best friend wasn't going.

The idea of it never did it for me though, never was into this heavy drinking/partying thing and went to Georgia for a road trip instead, 3 weeks. Most fascinating holiday I've had.

Advertisement