Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Farmers road time be restricted?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭May Contain Small Parts

lazeedaisy wrote: »
    now I'm well used to it and give myself extra time just in case.

This exactly. It's annoying but there's no better option so you just learn to accept it.

We're funny creatures.
    Leave the house 3 minutes late? Don't even notice.
    Spend 3 minutes going slowly behind a tractor/whatever? AHHHHHH! GET OFF MY ROAD!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭emaherx

lazeedaisy wrote: »
    My argument de Jour, is the selfish contractors who recently worked until well after midnight and started up again at 5am in the field next door, for two days, do I have to put up with this, as no other business in the country would get away with it.

Wow move to the country and get disturbed 2 nights in a row by the distant hum of one maybe two Diesel engines.

In cities is there not passing trucks, buses, night time road repairs, bin lorries and similar businesses running large Diesel engines all through the night?

I had this argument with a driver last year so I offered to return on the same journey with him in the passenger seat. As we drove I explained why it wasn't possible to pull in in every space he said I should, whether from narrow entrances, tree boughs, stones to prevent vehicles from pulling in and open drains which would mean the tractor wheels and trailer falling in and near overturning.

By the time I left him out, I don't think he was willing to come on a tractor with me again.

But there are some, a small minority, who could do with learning some manners on the road, I'll admit that.

And some tractor drivers also...

Even what looks like a perfectly wide and safe area to pull in may be totally unsuitable if it's on an uphill section and you have big weight behind you. Pull in and it's very hard to build up any speed again thus just holding up more people.

The average car driver has no concept at all of this of course.

Creative83 wrote: »
    It is illegal in many countries to drive tractors on roads within specific times... notable rush hours.
    Can you name one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

mickuhaha wrote: »
    A tractor driver in Co. Mayo in 2014 was fined €300 and banned from driving for a year for causing an excessive tailback.

That’s not the full story
    1 he drove for ages without pulling in to let people pass even though he had opportunity
    2 the judge was md
    3 he had previous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,494 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Odelay wrote: »
    Who was the politian that said farmers should not drive on the roads but get to their destination by driving in the fields?

I think that was Michael McIntyre
    https://youtu.be/IR6nKy-IafU

• Registered Users Posts: 18,209 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

There is another issue with pulling in to let traffic especially in heavy traffic. It is getting back out again. I did it once I pulled in at a convenient spot to let traffic off. Then as I tried to pull out any time a car came around the turn it sped up to get past me before I could pull out. another 10 minutes would have got me to the spot where I intended to pull off the road. Since then I would be slow to pull in off the road in a tractor to let traffic off if it was during rush hour. Now I am not on the road that often with a tractor but I can understand why lads do not pull in to let traffic off.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 18,494 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Irish motorists are the most narkey moaning bunch of begrudgers ever.

They hate;
    Tractors
    Cyclists
    Trucks
    Busses
    Taxis
    Pedestrians
    Older drivers
    Learner drivers

Just learn to share the road. I drive for my day job and farm too. Accept that you are just one road user and your not the most important either.

People need to get some perspective, op was probably delayed by 5-10 minutes total and somehow that’s sufficient to come on the internet rambling on about ruining someone livelihood because they were delayed 5 minutes - one time.
    FFS !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭Ginger83

BarryD2 wrote: »
    I think all that's needed is that the drivers of tractors and machinery look in their mirrors now & then and when they see a queue of cars behind, pull in at a convenient spot.

Was stuck myself in a long queue behind tractor & trailer for about 10 miles yesterday. There was nothing to do but be patient as the road was a bit twisty and the cars in a position to overtake wouldn't overtake on the straighter bits. I reckon there was a steady stream of expletives though being uttered towards the tractor.

They can't check their mirrors...normally too busy on the phone. Huge value in a machine and can't stick in a 20 quid hands free in.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

Oh yes we should definitely restrict the pesky farmers on the road.! Isn't it obvious very important people like yourself with very important things to do should of course take precedence over farmer types actually over everyone on the road. You really should settle down Op and write a strongly worded letter to the relevant authority who give a sh1t and right after that pop your polished city brogues up and have a brandy and a cigar for yourself.
    All farmers can then tell you to go fcuk yourself when you come whinging in the extreme weather looking for help that was given with an open heart and see then what you say when they cant come rescue Johnny Big Balls coz soz but their time on the road is restricted for your convenience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

I understand everyone has to go about and make a living. Travelling the link towards the Jack Lynch tunnel both ways over the years tractors and agri machinery are an accident waiting to happen.

WAIT !

I'm not blaming those going about their business.

You can see it half a kilometer away. Brake lights everywhere. Everyone pulling right to overtake which leads to those who don't read the road slamming on and trying to move at a dangerously low speed.

I don't know what the solution is but I do think heavy agri machinery has no place on a road that has a 120kph limit.

Ginger83 wrote: »
    They can't check their mirrors...normally too busy on the phone. Huge value in a machine and can't stick in a 20 quid hands free in.

That's no more true, than any other road users out there. See plenty of idiots driving high end cars with phones in their hands.

Heckler wrote: »
    I understand everyone has to go about and make a living. Travelling the link towards the Jack Lynch tunnel both ways over the years tractors and agri machinery are an accident waiting to happen.

WAIT !

I'm not blaming those going about their business.

You can see it half a kilometer away. Brake lights everywhere. Everyone pulling right to overtake which leads to those who don't read the road slamming on and trying to move at a dangerously low speed.

I don't know what the solution is but I do think heavy agri machinery has no place on a road that has a 120kph limit.

Perhaps you are right on that one, but only high speed tractors (50kph plus) are allowed on motorways. The maximum speed limit for any vehicle towing a trailer on motorway is 80kph but there is nothing to stop a vehicle capable of 80kph driving slower than that either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭traco

While we’re at it can everyone keep off the M50 betweeen 8-9am and 5-6pm as I’d like not to be held up going to work and back?!?!?!?!? Thanks!!

Seriously- these lads aren’t out on the road for the laugh. They’re going about their business.

It’s summertime, it’s the country. Leave 20mins earlier and expect machinery to be on the country roads. Drivers caught behind slow moving vehicles that fall under the spell of the red mist are a far greater danger.

Think the OP pulled a hand-grenade and legged it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭denismc

Most tractor drivers are cyclists in disguise! XD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Not a farmer but they can use the roads whenever they like far as im concerned. Without them we wouldnt eat and in situations like the snow earlier in the year we'd be even more ****ed than we were. Be a bit ungrateful to ban them from the roads during certain times after asking them to clear them of snow less than 6 months ago.

emaherx wrote: »
    That's no more true, than any other road users out there. See plenty of idiots driving high end cars with phones in their hands.

I went to watch a tractor run recently. I counted 22....yes i kid you not...22 childr drove past on mobiles. Not to mention 3 in a tractor with 1 seat.

Thoughts?

traco wrote: »
    While we’re at it can everyone keep off the M50 betweeen 8-9am and 5-6pm as I’d like not to be held up going to work and back?!?!?!?!? Thanks!!

Seriously- these lads aren’t out on the road for the laugh. They’re going about their business.

It’s summertime, it’s the country. Leave 20mins earlier and expect machinery to be on the country roads. Drivers caught behind slow moving vehicles that fall under the spell of the red mist are a far greater danger.

Have to disagree. I understand that people are trying to make a living but its dangerous, And its not country roads. This is a tractor hauling hay at 20mph going from Midelton to Cork city on a road thats designed for 100mph traffic. Again i'm not blaming the worker doing what he has to do but to say its not dangerous is ridiculous.

Have to disagree. I understand that people are trying to make a living but its dangerous, And its not country roads. This is a tractor hauling hay at 20mph going from Midelton to Cork city on a road thats designed for 100mph traffic. Again i'm not blaming the worker doing what he has to do but to say its not dangerous is ridiculous.

Must check out that 100mph road???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭mikemac2

I appreciate that this is the season for the farming community but it's not only them who need to use the road and with a little more urgency so should the farming community be limited to using the road between the hours of 18:00 & 06:00.

Funny you pick those hours because they can start fueling up at 4am and might not finish until 11pm

Must be grand to have a 9-5 job OP while they work 15 plus hours a day and have to take your scorn

Maybe the Sunday pleasure drivers out for a spin and a picnic can get off the road, hey they have no reason to hold up workers

I went to watch a tractor run recently. I counted 22....yes i kid you not...22 childr drove past on mobiles. Not to mention 3 in a tractor with 1 seat.

Thoughts?

I drive down the M50 regularly, wouldn't take long to get to 22 if counting people driving cars with phone in hand.

I'd have to stop the engine in my tractor to have a conversation either hands free or with phone in hand. Most tractors I see at tractor runs would be similar except the ones with passenger seats of coarse ;)

traco wrote: »
    Must check out that 100mph road???

OK i got the figures wrong. You know what I mean ffs. Its a road designed for fast moving traffic. Not a tractor moving at 20mph.

I drive down the M50 regularly, wouldn't take long to get to 22 if counting people driving cars with phone in hand.

I'd have to stop the engine in my tractor to have a conversation either hands free or with phone in hand. Most tractors I see at tractor runs would be similar except the ones with passenger seats of coarse ;)

Most lads with phones to their ears must be exercising their arms so :D

3 seats in a cab, thats a new 1 on me. 1 over the pto shaft too i'd say.

OK i got the figures wrong. You know what I mean ffs. Its a road designed for fast moving traffic. Not a tractor moving at 20mph.

It's funny most roads are just tarmac'd old cow paths, maybe cars should be banned from using them when farmers need them. That would make things safer.

Most lads with phones to their ears must be exercising their arms so :D

3 seats in a cab, thats a new 1 on me. 1 over the pto shaft too i'd say.

Or talking to themselves.

Trantors have 3 seats. Some zetors also have 3 seats (folding one at left door and one behind driver). I'm sure there are others.

A much bigger issue than mobile phone use is car drivers inability to understand that indicators on tractors mean the same thing as on other vehicles.

I hear what your saying but that’s the N25 ins’t it?? I think it’s 120 from the tunnel to Carrigtohill, don’t know if it goes all the way to Middleton as it’s a stretch of road I’m rarely on. Either way that’s irrelevant. As it’s an N road the tractor is permitted as are cyclists, 50cc scooters and horses.

If it’s a motorway and its a regular old school Massey or Ford not capable of the min motorway speed limit the he shouldn’t be there as it’s a legal.

I’d say take it up with C Co Co as the speed limits on that road would appear to be inappropriate for it’s designation. From what I recall it wouldn’t be to the same standard as many of the other N dual carriageways around the country that are 100kph

It's funny most roads are just tarmac'd old cow paths, maybe cars should be banned from using them when farmers need them. That would make things safer.

Is that the best you can come up with ? really The motorway from Cork to Dublin was a tarmaced boreen trodden by miles of cows back in the day ?

Just stop.

Is that the best you can come up with ? really The motorway from Cork to Dublin was a tarmaced boreen trodden by miles of cows back in the day ?

Just stop.

No. I said most roads. You never specified any road or motorway for that matter! You said something about 100mph which is not a speed on any road so I presumed you ment 100kph which would have ruled out motorways.

Obviously I don't believe any class of vehicle should be banned at any time of day, but it's no more ridiculous than original question in this thread.

• Advertisement

No. I said most roads. You never specified any road or motorway for that matter!

Seriously. Stop.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement