Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Farmers road time be restricted?

Options
  • 14-06-2018 8:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭

Driving across country today only to be held up by a multitude of different agricultural vehicles at various stages of my journey! I appreciate that this is the season for the farming community but it's not only them who need to use the road and with a little more urgency so should the farming community be limited to using the road between the hours of 18:00 & 06:00.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Driving across country today only to be held up by a multitude of different agricultural vehicles at various stages of my journey! I appreciate that this is the season for the farming community but it's not only them who need to use the road and with a little more urgency so should the farming community be limited to using the road between the hours of 18:00 & 06:00.

Maybe we could restrict their usage just to when you’re using the road. Maybe if you could post up the the times you’ll be travelling and what roads you’ll be using so I can work around you. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭mickuhaha

A tractor driver in Co. Mayo in 2014 was fined €300 and banned from driving for a year for causing an excessive tailback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

I think all that's needed is that the drivers of tractors and machinery look in their mirrors now & then and when they see a queue of cars behind, pull in at a convenient spot.

Was stuck myself in a long queue behind tractor & trailer for about 10 miles yesterday. There was nothing to do but be patient as the road was a bit twisty and the cars in a position to overtake wouldn't overtake on the straighter bits. I reckon there was a steady stream of expletives though being uttered towards the tractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Oh how quickly the snow was forgotten :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Maybe if you drove between 18:00 & 06:00 your first world problem would be solved,and its not only you that has to use the road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,135 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Organize the weather first please!!!

Farmers work according to weather windows. Not to the time of day.

It'd be lovely to have a 9 to 5 job, weekends off, bank holidays, paid leave.

Oh feck it I picked the wrong job.

At least my food comes from the supermarket. :pac:
    Sorted!

You shouldn't have eaten it all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Deagol

I had to drive to Cork today and there were other people on the road - some of them held me up. Would it be possible to have them banned from using the road when I'm on it?? I'm outraged at the situation and will contact my TD to complain I think! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ah now, many of us appreciate our farming neighbours and happy to give & take. But I do have an issue with some, particularly contractors rushing between jobs. Either not pulling over, travelling in convoys & sometimes at relatively high speeds on narrow country roads. How there aren't more serious accidents with some of these lads is beyond me. You come around a bend and there's a huge machine bearing towards you taking up most of the road. All you can do is slam on the brakes and turn sharply into the ditch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

mickuhaha wrote: »
    A tractor driver in Co. Mayo in 2014 was fined €300 and banned from driving for a year for causing an excessive tailback.

This...they should pull in when safe to allow traffic pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭emaherx

BarryD2 wrote: »
    I think all that's needed is that the drivers of tractors and machinery look in their mirrors now & then and when they see a queue of cars behind, pull in at a convenient spot.

Was stuck myself in a long queue behind tractor & trailer for about 10 miles yesterday. There was nothing to do but be patient as the road was a bit twisty and the cars in a position to overtake wouldn't overtake on the straighter bits. I reckon there was a steady stream of expletives though being uttered towards the tractor.

It's funny, cause most of those roads with nowhere safe for you to overtake also have nowhere safe for tractors to pull in to let traffic pass.

This...they should pull in when safe to allow traffic pass.

Agreed "when safe" but not always possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Organize the weather first please!!!

Farmers work according to weather windows. Not to the time of day.

It'd be lovely to have a 9 to 5 job, weekends off, bank holidays, paid leave.

Oh feck it I picked the wrong job.

At least my food comes from the supermarket. :pac:
    Sorted!

Sure how could they be doing any work when they're always up in Dublin protesting about something and giving away free food.
    Get them back down the road ( when no one else is on it) so they can give us more free food....doesn't it let them out for the day, them coming to Dublin.

emaherx wrote: »
    It's funny, cause most of those roads with nowhere safe for you to overtake also have nowhere safe for tractors to pull in to let traffic pass.

This was a regional road and there were plenty of spots. In fairness, I more often come across tractors and machinery that will pull in. But there's always some who clearly never look in their mirrors or if they do, they don't care :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

If they're taxed insured etc they have every right to use the roads.
    The busy season is a short one but they need to use the roads same as anyone else and the sense of entitlement in the op is the nonsense that has sone drivers think only they should use our roads.

Ah now, many of us appreciate our farming neighbours and happy to give & take. But I do have an issue with some, particularly contractors rushing between jobs. Either not pulling over, travelling in convoys & sometimes at relatively high speeds on narrow country roads. How there aren't more serious accidents with some of these lads is beyond me. You come around a bend and there's a huge machine bearing towards you taking up most of the road. All you can do is slam on the brakes and turn sharply into the ditch.

Bad news is machines are still getting bigger and bigger.
    The days of the Ferguson 20 are over.

It's only contractors that can afford these machines now however and they may work night and day to make them pay when the weather plays ball.

There's a 600hp tracked case tractor here now in Wexford. Imagine meeting that on the road!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭ted1

What’s the urgency?
    Msd be during the week we could mornings and evenings we could stop people using the city roads. They just clog them up.

Bad drivers in all classes of vehicles. I was drawing bales home at the weekend. Had to drive on only 1/2 mile of road so didn't hold any one up too long, had to turn right into yard, got over taken by six cars in a row even though I had indicators on and there is a continuous white line on road.

Sure how could they be doing any work when they're always up in Dublin protesting about something and giving away free food.
    Get them back down the road ( when no one else is on it) so they can give us more free food....doesn't it let them out for the day, them coming to Dublin.

I knew I left that tractor somewhere.

I hope it's not clamped?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

This was a regional road and there were plenty of spots. In fairness, I more often come across tractors and machinery that will pull in. But there's always some who clearly never look in their mirrors or if they do, they don't care :)
    I had this argument with a driver last year so I offered to return on the same journey with him in the passenger seat. As we drove I explained why it wasn't possible to pull in in every space he said I should, whether from narrow entrances, tree boughs, stones to prevent vehicles from pulling in and open drains which would mean the tractor wheels and trailer falling in and near overturning.

By the time I left him out, I don't think he was willing to come on a tractor with me again.

But there are some, a small minority, who could do with learning some manners on the road, I'll admit that.

And some tractor drivers also...

• Advertisement

True some A***holes out there, but they are not all driving the tractors. You should try spending a day driving a tractor and you will see plenty of drivers in every class of vehicle who should receive instant bans for their stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

If you are behind a tractor and trailer/ implement stay back a bit. Same for a lorry. The amount of people i see up the hole of lorries and tractors is ridiculous. They can't see the person behind if they are that close and the person behind is too close to make an overtake manoeuvre. Common sense please

• Registered Users Posts: 3,795 ✭✭✭Odelay

Who was the politian that said farmers should not drive on the roads but get to their destination by driving in the fields?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Did you put milk in your coffee/tea this morning? What did you have for dinner?

Maybe you should just allow more time for your travels? And I have no intention of working between 18:00 and 06:00. Maybe you could get work doing nights?

Odelay wrote: »
    Who was the politian that said farmers should not drive on the roads but get to their destination by driving in the fields?

Kim Jon Un.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Short answer No, however any slow moving vehicle should pull in when safe to do so and definitely not travel in convoy.

Kudos to the guy yesterday who decided 5pm would be the ideal time to bring his tractor and trailer full of turf through the center of town at 10km/hr.

Your country salutes your self centered sense of entitlement and marvels at the amount of fcuks you didn’t give about holding up hundreds of people.

Enjoy your turf.

I hope your house burns down.

Yep 5 pm sounds like going home time. He was probably only doing 10kph through town because of the traffic in front of him to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Yep, at 5pm!

How awful for you! Man spends the day in the bog bent double.
    Comes to 4.30, throat dry with peat dust, dreaming of the lovely floury new Wexford potatoes his wife is just bringing to the boil.
    Time to go home Declan.
    But that’s not fair!!!
    Facehugger spent the entire afternoon in the office on BetFred placing his bets for the 4th round of the WC! It’s going home time for him too and he simply should not have to wait for Declan!
    Ring Liveline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

I have to say, living in a rural environment, and having to travel some distance to work, that most tractors pull in once they see 5 or 6 cars behind. I got used to them (we don't have that in Dublin ��), but now I'm well used to it and give myself extra time just in case. Sunday drivers are worse than farmers though, don't get me started on them,

My argument de Jour, is the selfish contractors who recently worked until well after midnight and started up again at 5am in the field next door, for two days, do I have to put up with this, as no other business in the country would get away with it.

Again being from Dublin I'm slowly coming to terms of what is and isn't acceptable in such rural environments,

But I do agree that we have got to be in less of a rush on the road no matter who we are behind, and if you are given time to ponder, do that and don't get good knickers in a twist!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement