Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unable to access certain websites even after changing BB provider

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 DBCR

Panrich wrote: »
    I had this a few years ago when I changed broadband suppliers and it was resolved by changing mtu settings. From recollection, I changed to a smaller value and hey presto, problem solved.

Thank you - I have tried reducing it to the minimum but it made no difference, as was advised to check at the start of this thread ping -l 1465 -f was the lowest size that failed so 1464 +28 is 1492 which we are set to.

Are any of Virgin, SIRO, Openeir FTTH available to you?

Unfortunately a rural town and No Virgin or Siro. Not sure about Openeir, is that not just Eir Fibre which we were on before moving to Vodafone Fibre?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

DBCR wrote: »
    Unfortunately a rural town and No Virgin or Siro. Not sure about Openeir, is that not just Eir Fibre which we were on before moving to Vodafone Fibre?

No it is a completely different system. A fibre optic cable would be brought into your premises. It would eliminate the copper line from the equation. However if you're in the rural town it may not be available. It's mainly on the outskirts of towns. You can check your Eircode on:

https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/

and

https://fibrerollout.ie (check rural 300k)

No it is a completely different system. A fibre optic cable would be brought into your premises. It would eliminate the copper line from the equation. However if you're in the rural town it may not be available. It's mainly on the outskirts of towns. You can check your Eircode on:

https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/

and

https://fibrerollout.ie (check rural 300k)

Ah thanks, checked the eircode and not available. There is only one building in this town with Gb broadband and as you said it on the outskirts (Close to the town's exchange).

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭derek214

Unfortunately the quality of tech support and customer service in both Eir and Vodafone has been awful. Getting them to look into it at their own level is hard enough let alone having them escalate it to a higher level which we have tried on numerous occasions and has been absolutely impossible. They just want you off the phone as soon as possible... Vodafone SLA is unfortunately worth SFA :mad:

Maybe moving this thread to the "talk to" Vodafone area might get you a bit more exposure...

Were you able to disable the firewall or is that even an option on their router?

Derek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Panrich

Thank you - I have tried reducing it to the minimum but it made no difference, as was advised to check at the start of this thread ping -l 1465 -f was the lowest size that failed so 1464 +28 is 1492 which we are set to.

No problem. My symptoms seemed identical. Sites like Ryanair and IMDb would not work with MTU set at 1492 but did when set to 145x. Can’t remember the exact number now. Hope you find a solution.

derek214 wrote: »
    Maybe moving this thread to the "talk to" Vodafone area might get you a bit more exposure...

Were you able to disable the firewall or is that even an option on their router?

Derek

There isn't an option to disable the firewall completely on the Vodafone router but a tech support rep on Monday told me he remotely turned it off completely. I'll try moving this to the talk to Vodafone area and see what happen. Thank you so much for all your efforts to help here, really appreciate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭editorsean

Going by the DNS Query Sniffer screenshot on page 1, a few DNS queries had a yellow icon, which indicates that there was no response from that DNS query. This seems to indicate UDP packet loss, at least to the DNS server.

To rule out UDP packet loss, try running the DNS over HTTPS with the Firefox browser. This requires at least Firefox version 60, such as the latest release. The following steps configures it for Cloudflare's DNS over HTTPS, taken from this guide:
    1. Open Firefox and enter about:config in the address bar, then click accept the warning.
    2. Scroll down to network.trr.mode and change it to 2
    3. Scroll to network.trr.uri and change it to: https://mozilla.cloudflare-dns.com/dns-query
    4. Scroll up to network.trr.bootstrapAddress and change it to: 1.1.1.1
    5. Restart Firefox and try loading the affected websites in this Firefox browser.

If this DNS over HTTPS is working properly, DNS Query Sniffer should not capture any DNS queries from Firefox when loading websites.

To undo the above steps, go back into about:config, right-click on network.trr.mode and click 'Reset, then repeat for network.trr.uri and network.trr.bootstrapAddress.

editorsean wrote: »
    Going by the DNS Query Sniffer screenshot on page 1, a few DNS queries had a yellow icon, which indicates that there was no response from that DNS query. This seems to indicate UDP packet loss, at least to the DNS server.

To rule out UDP packet loss, try running the DNS over HTTPS with the Firefox browser. This requires at least Firefox version 60, such as the latest release. The following steps configures it for Cloudflare's DNS over HTTPS, taken from this guide:
    1. Open Firefox and enter about:config in the address bar, then click accept the warning.
    2. Scroll down to network.trr.mode and change it to 2
    3. Scroll to network.trr.uri and change it to: https://mozilla.cloudflare-dns.com/dns-query
    4. Scroll up to network.trr.bootstrapAddress and change it to: 1.1.1.1
    5. Restart Firefox and try loading the affected websites in this Firefox browser.

If this DNS over HTTPS is working properly, DNS Query Sniffer should not capture any DNS queries from Firefox when loading websites.

To undo the above steps, go back into about:config, right-click on network.trr.mode and click 'Reset, then repeat for network.trr.uri and network.trr.bootstrapAddress.

Sorry, only seen this now. Just tried that and same result!

Just to update... Finally this problem has been resolved!! Eventually the right person in Vodafone got onto the right person in Eir who “Reset an LC Card” and it fixed it for everyone. Only took 3 months of torture...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Just to update... Finally this problem has been resolved!! Eventually the right person in Vodafone got onto the right person in Eir who “Reset an LC Card” and it fixed it for everyone. Only took 3 months of torture...

Wow! Is that the height of the explanation you got? Glad to hear it's sorted anyway.

Wow! Is that the height of the explanation you got? Glad to hear it's sorted anyway.

That is the height of it alright! Thanks for all the help...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Resetting a LC card sounds like they had a problem with the DSLAM in the Fibre Cabinet.

That would explain, why you had the same problem with both providers.

A bit sad, that neither Eir retail nor Vodafone have a decent escalation process for technical problems.

/M

Advertisement