Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s your take on wearing an England Jersey?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

HUH?
    Emmmm thousands of Irish wear 'English' jerseys every day in Ireland!?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

thebull85 wrote: »
    LOL, this reminds me of a few friends of mine trying to justify following Man United, "but my uncle worked in manchester in the 70s"

FFS

Mad how you never hear of any Crystal Palace fans or Birmingham fans over here given that 1000's flocked to those places too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

You don’t have to be a soup slurping, royalist/Anglophile Cork person to wear one but it helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Mutant z wrote: »
    it practically amounts to treason.

No it doesn't.
    Well it does in fairness it would be like a Brazilian wearing an Argentinian Jersey i don't think such a thing would go down too well do you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,799 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Well it does in fairness it would be like a Brazilian wearing an Argentinian Jersey i don't think such a thing would go down too well do you.

This is treason, no mention of jerseys anywhere...

...that treason shall consist only in levying war against the State, on assisting any State or person or inciting or conspiring with any person to levy war against the State, or attempting by force of arms or other violent means to overthrow the organs of government, established by the Constitution, or taking part or being concerned in or inciting or conspiring with any person to make or to take part or be concerned in any such attempt:

• Advertisement

Why would an Irish person support the English national team for it practically amounts to treason.

Because they watch their league week in and week out and call their teams 'us' and 'we'. Henderson/Rashford is a legend to them for a full season but then is a scumbag for a few weeks in the summer. The majority of Irish football fans manage to delude themselves and everyone else into this logic somehow. It's actually funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I got myself a Rangers one there yesterday...looks good!

Yeah but by the same token you wouldn't get a fella from Sao Paulo wearing a Boca Juniors or River Plate jersey. Can't say the same for a Dub wearing an Arsenal jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Menelaun

JeffKenna wrote: »

Blue isn’t really my color

Why would an Irish person support the English national team for it practically amounts to treason.

Well I know that I support England because as a kid, I loved Bryan Robson and he was the England captain. I thought that as he was captain of Man utd and I followed them, I would also follow England as I recognised most of the players.

The Republic of Ireland had a team full of Scottish, English and various other nationalities as well as being managed by an Englishman.

I chose to support England and I feel that once you pick a football team, you don't change.

I don't look at football (or any sport) as some representation of national pride. I support England because they are a team I would like to see do well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Well done I don't wear one to old but polo shirts yes :)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,480 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I have succumbed to the original Irish Test Cricket top, but beyond that it's got to be England Football and Rugby jerseys, plus a Yorkshire floppy hat

• Registered Users Posts: 10,923 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Beasty wrote: »
    I have succumbed to the original Irish Test Cricket top, but beyond that it's got to be England Football and Rugby jerseys, plus a Yorkshire floppy hat

Until Yorkshire declares independence you mean?

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

If your a grow man wearing a football jersey and not playing or training you should be shot on site regardless of the team , nation or whatever ,

Oh, so everyone over a certain age should wear cardigans, slacks and slippers, so?

Jerseys are smart, comfortable and look good. I'm in my 50s and have dozens - I wear them to work, when I'm at home, when I'm shopping, when I'm in the pub, pretty much anywhere there's no need to look "dressed up". Always have done, always will do (hopefully well into my 90s :D)

I have my Russia jersey on today, and will be wearing my Argentina jersey when they play.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭juanjo

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Id wear an Iceland jersey, sure there only a sea away.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Omackeral wrote: »

Yeah but by the same token you wouldn't get a fella from Sao Paulo wearing a Boca Juniors or River Plate jersey. Can't say the same for a Dub wearing an Arsenal jersey.
    There's a huge difference between supporting a club and a country a very huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

You timed this thread very badly, OP. YOu can cause maximum outrage around midnight on a Friday night. That’s when the barstool Republicans and those that always disagree with them are at their most sensitive. Usually plenty of drink taken I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

IMO, you can wear any Club jersey you like, but I'll new understand why anyone would want to wear the National jersey of a different country

Oh, so everyone over a certain age should wear cardigans, slacks and slippers, so?

Jerseys are smart, comfortable and look good. I'm in my 50s and have dozens - I wear them to work, when I'm at home, when I'm shopping, when I'm in the pub, pretty much anywhere there's no need to look "dressed up". Always have done, always will do (hopefully well into my 90s :D)

I have my Russia jersey on today, and will be wearing my Argentina jersey when they play.
    Where’d you get the Russian one from??

• Advertisement

There's a huge difference between supporting a club and a country a very huge difference.

How is it huge?

IMO, you can wear any Club jersey you like, but I'll new understand why anyone would want to wear the National jersey of a different country

Why not?!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,290 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Menelaun wrote: »
    Bought the new England Jersey today in Dublin,some of my mates are horrified I bought one.

Is this a common reaction still considering the majority of fans support English teams?

Yeah you didn't at all but the jersey. Obvious wind-up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Awwwwww that's ok HUN :P

lawred2 wrote: »
    Yeah you didn't at all but the jersey. Obvious wind-up

Cant speak for the OP but I can honestly say that mine arrived today via DHL. Top quality knock off from Hong Kong.

Cant speak for the OP but I can honestly say that mine arrived today via DHL. Top quality knock off from Hong Kong.

Bought mine from the Retail Park in Liffey Valley in the Elverys

Want the receipt;)

The mindset in Ireland is mental. Support our own and be the best fans in the world and hate the English... until you ask someone who they support and they say Cork City or Shamrock Rovers. They'd probably be met with ''No but what English team like?'' as if it should be normal.

Then they go on to say the standard is the deal breaker. Ok, so if your English team dropped to League 2 you'd still follow them massively? Of course I would, I'm loyal. Well then your standard thing goes out the window doesn't it?

If it's a standard thing and location doesn't matter, why not follow Brazil or Spain? ''Ah I'm not from Brazil or Spain''. Yeah, you're not from Merseyside either.

Can you imagine a guy from Laois following Kerry GAA or Dublin GAA. Wouldn't happen. It's just accepted over here as normal with football but it's definitely full of hypocrisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Omackeral wrote: »
    Why not?!

Because you are wearing the crest and colours of a different nation. I know many do it, I just don't understand why they would want to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Wouldn't bother me personally.

Word to the wise though OP, be careful where you wear it. I'd avoid pubs or any rough areas in general. There'd be a certain element out there who could take an exception.

Bizarrely this element also usually tend to support one of the big English club sides.

Advertisement