Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Marketplace in the US vandalized with 'Immigrants not welcome'

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

Kansas City isn't in Kansas. I know, it doesn't make sense.

Actually, the other Kansas City is in Kansas, and it's right beside the Missouri Kansas City, it can be very confusing for drunken Kansans coming home at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

And of course Irish Internet forums aren't anti anything. Only every second thread has an anti English / British dig.

Never said they weren't.

It just in my opinion being Irish is more likely to be a positive thing in the US than in the UK. Of course neither country has any real significant problems with Irish people overall but there are more pockets anti Irish sentiment in parts of the UK, particularly in parts of Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,270 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Ipso wrote: »
    Back in the day catholics weren’t well liked. The Irish were accused of spreading diseases etc
    Italians were also despised.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_14,_1891_New_Orleans_lynchings#Anti-Italian_sentiment_in_New_Orleans

Well in fairness, they were probably onto something with the oul' Eye-Tie feckers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

jmayo wrote: »
    They don't count they were Scots Irish and prods. ;)

And for some reason I bet one of those Scots Irish founded a business in American prior to 1887. :rolleyes:

Actually there was one catholic who signed.
    Charles Carroll, supposedly one of the wealthiest guys in America, descended from Offaly folk.

Maybe his relations back here started Carroll Meats. ;)

James Smith, Taylor, Thornton were born in Ireland and Lynch, McKean, Rutledge, Read were Irish descend.

Lovely trivia questions there.

Ah they were still Irish. One could say they didn't count as unionist given the fact they signed the declaration of independence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Damn micks need to go home I tells you.

And take them guineas with them. Aint no Roman Church gaining influence here in Kansas.

:D My mother's parents are Protestants from Kansas and they were not happy when she married my dad because his family had Irish Catholic heritage. My parents had to elope. That was in the 1970s.

I'd like to think Kansas has moved on, but I wouldn't put it past some people (assuming this is Kansas City, KS and not Kansas City, MO - I don't put anything past Missourians).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

This is the part of the world that gave Hollywood the much filmed and mentioned Quantrill's Raiders and bushwhackers that fought for the South.

They have always been a bit rebellious.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

jmayo wrote: »
    The head.
    He was the real deal.
    5 1/2 years a POW in Vietnam, 2 in solitary. Refused to accept early release even though body really broken up.

The body just pretends to be hard.
    Ha solid point. Some of the stuff about him in the pow camp is pretty much stolen directly from his (almost) namesake, like after months of torture giving them five names of some of his commanding officers. Turned out the names were of the NFLs Green Bay Packers' starting offensive line.

The pictures of him before he was caught vs the one of him accepting a medal on return are fairly harrowing stuff. Went from about the size of a professional rugby player in to looking a frail shell that could barely even stand with the help of crutches for quite a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

But we're great craic :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I am 99.9% sure this was done by far leftists trying to make the imaginary "far right" look bad and a realistic threat.

Epic Bullshit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,270 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Paddies out. Build the wall. Feck off yiz leprechaun feckers

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

AfterLife wrote: »
    Its no different than what's happening in Europe. We're not special and we're not immune to the wave of anti immigration sentiment sweeping the western world. There's lots of lads on After Hours that would get some fright if they were confronted with Americans, Brits or Australians with similar views as their own when they land in any of these countries.

exactly.. pot calling kettle black

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭BofaDeezNuhtz

32 Million of us cuntz there. Nearly 10% of the pop. Bih fukkin' late.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

:D My mother's parents are Protestants from Kansas and they were not happy when she married my dad because his family had Irish Catholic heritage. My parents had to elope. That was in the 1970s.

I'd like to think Kansas has moved on, but I wouldn't put it past some people (assuming this is Kansas City, KS and not Kansas City, MO - I don't put anything past Missourians).

Kansas will always be a bit backward to be honest. Brief encounters with the place and most entailed someone makjng a racist comment about (insert ethnicity here).

Advertisement