Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Marketplace in the US vandalized with 'Immigrants not welcome'

Options
  • 13-06-2018 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭

One of the oldest Irish businesses in the USA was hit by an anti-immigrant graffiti attack over the weekend.

Staff at Browne's Irish Marketplace in Kansas City, Missouri discovered the vandalism on Monday morning, with the words "immigrants not welcome" written in black spray paint on the side of the building.

The business claims to be the oldest Irish business in North America, founded by immigrants Ed and Mary Flavin from Listowel, Co. Kerry in 1887. The market has run in the family for four generations since then.

Current owner John McClain told Kansas City TV station KSHB that he became aware of the vandalism when a customer came in and pointed it out.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/immigrants-not-welcome-wellknown-irish-business-in-usa-vandalised-with-antiimmigrant-graffiti-37002352.html

Unusual didn't think the Irish were the target of anti immigrant sentiment in the US. In my opinion the average American has a more favourable opinion of the Irish than the average British person does, so this comes as a surprise, but of course there are xenophobes anywhere.

Then I read it happened in Kansas, youths probably a bit bored, not much to do in Kansas is there??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Back in the day catholics weren’t well liked. The Irish were accused of spreading diseases etc
    Italians were also despised.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_14,_1891_New_Orleans_lynchings#Anti-Italian_sentiment_in_New_Orleans

• Registered Users Posts: 17,911 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Stay classy murica

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

That’s fair enough about immigrants but what about the undocumented Irish?

Are they welcome?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Then I read it happened in Kansas, youths probably a bit bored, not much to do in Kansas is there??

Kansas City is roughly the same size as Dublin.

Just dickheads, emboldened by Trump's rise, being dickheads .

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

Those Native Americans really want the lot of them out.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

Make America great again!

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

amcalester wrote:
    That’s fair enough about immigrants but what about the undocumented Irish?

Same thing ??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,762 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Bit late with the graffiti seeing as they are there since 1887. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

In my opinion the average American has a more favourable opinion of the Irish than the average British person does

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

A shower of bastards.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Bit late with the graffiti seeing as they are there since 1887. :confused:

They probably only learnt about it in history class earlier that day and as such is the times they became outraged :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

:rolleyes:

Yep. That's my opinion. Certainly don't have grievances with regards to IRA and troubles.

British internet forums tend to have considerably more anti Irish sentiment IMO with anti Irish posters than US/Canadian/Aussie ones do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Pretty retarded seeing that the shop has been there since 1887 and the current owners are 4th generation Irish. Funny thing is that the vandal was probably a 2nd or 3rd generation Pole/Italian/Dutch/(insert European nationality here).

Might be somewhat warranted if the vandal is a Cherokee or Sioux Indian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Kimbot wrote: »
    They probably only learnt about it in history class earlier that day and as such is the times they became outraged :pac:
    I think I saw that Kansas has moved to a four day school week because they're too busy spending their money on guns and lining the pockets of political donors, so they might not have got around to that part yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,417 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Current owner John McClain you say.

Why am I thinking of this lad ...

latest?cb=20070912170709

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Rhyme wrote: »
    Those Native Americans really want the lot of them out.
    Pretty much this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

jmayo wrote: »
    Current owner John McClain you say.

Why am I thinking of this lad ...

latest?cb=20070912170709
    This lad... which one!? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭AfterLife

Its no different than what's happening in Europe. We're not special and we're not immune to the wave of anti immigration sentiment sweeping the western world. There's lots of lads on After Hours that would get some fright if they were confronted with Americans, Brits or Australians with similar views as their own when they land in any of these countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

A bit rich considering Irish names are on the declaration of independence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

Jaysis, some goth saves up his pocket money to buy a few cans of spray paint and the news gets across the Atlantic Ocean.

He probably didn’t even know the business was Irish-and was talking about Mexicans.

I wouldn’t go blaming this years nobel prize winner yet.

Billy86 wrote: »
    This lad... which one!? :p

The head.
    He was the real deal.
    5 1/2 years a POW in Vietnam, 2 in solitary. Refused to accept early release even though body really broken up.

The body just pretends to be hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/immigrants-not-welcome-wellknown-irish-business-in-usa-vandalised-with-antiimmigrant-graffiti-37002352.html

Unusual didn't think the Irish were the target of anti immigrant sentiment in the US. In my opinion the average American has a more favourable opinion of the Irish than the average British person does, so this comes as a surprise, but of course there are xenophobes anywhere.

I guess there only needs to be one anti-Irish person for something like this to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Kansas City isn't in Kansas. I know, it doesn't make sense.

steddyeddy wrote: »

They don't count they were Scots Irish and prods. ;)

And for some reason I bet one of those Scots Irish founded a business in American prior to 1887. :rolleyes:

Actually there was one catholic who signed.
    Charles Carroll, supposedly one of the wealthiest guys in America, descended from Offaly folk.

Maybe his relations back here started Carroll Meats. ;)

James Smith, Taylor, Thornton were born in Ireland and Lynch, McKean, Rutledge, Read were Irish descend.

Lovely trivia questions there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,282 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Kansas City isn't in Kansas. I know, it doesn't make sense.

Well, there is one in Kansas. Just on the other side of the river to this Kansas City.

I wonder if the shop was suspected to be employing illegal immigrants?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Damn micks need to go home I tells you.

And take them guineas with them. Aint no Roman Church gaining influence here in Kansas.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Yep. That's my opinion. Certainly don't have grievances with regards to IRA and troubles.

British internet forums tend to have considerably more anti Irish sentiment IMO with anti Irish posters than US/Canadian/Aussie ones do.

And of course Irish Internet forums aren't anti anything. Only every second thread has an anti English / British dig.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,578 ✭✭✭Inviere

Taytoland wrote: »
    Make America great again!

Again?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

jmayo wrote: »
    steddyeddy wrote: »

They don't count they were Scots Irish and prods. ;)

And for some reason I bet one of those Scots Irish founded a business in American prior to 1887. :rolleyes:

Actually there was one catholic who signed.
    Charles Carroll, supposedly one of the wealthiest guys in America, descended from Offaly folk.

Maybe his relations back here started Carroll Meats. ;)

James Smith, Taylor, Thornton were born in Ireland and Lynch, McKean, Rutledge, Read were Irish descend.

Lovely trivia questions there.
    Just what I was going to say. Irish influence my ass, more like Scots Irish from good Protestant stock.

Advertisement