Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018-2019 Champions Cup

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,141 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Mate, I literally just posted that.

One post above you.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

troyzer wrote: »

One post above you.

Your link doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,141 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

One post above you.

The link opens to some weird Boards poem for me

Oh yeah, that's really weird.

I hate mobile.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

troyzer's link is abstract art. It's an unpleasant piece from some random Trinity drop-out with a little mirror at the back to look deep inside your deepest soul and decide do you, random punter, want to step aside like a coward and let them ruin our H-cup yet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I actually don't understand how we're here. The two European cups are arguably good for welfare. Most teams only play 6 out of 9 weekends. In the challenge cup most teams rest their firsts for all 6 games. In the champions cup most teams end up sending the seconds for at least one game.

Pretty much every club makes more match day revenue in Europe and has a third jersey they sell just for it. I can't understand why you'd change it. Other than Irish teams are winning again.

• Administrators Posts: 53,384 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

errlloyd wrote: »
    I actually don't understand how we're here. The two European cups are arguably good for welfare. Most teams only play 6 out of 9 weekends. In the challenge cup most teams rest their firsts for all 6 games. In the champions cup most teams end up sending the seconds for at least one game.

Pretty much every club makes more match day revenue in Europe and has a third jersey they sell just for it. I can't understand why you'd change it. Other than Irish teams are winning again.
    English and French teams make more money from their league, so they don't want to change those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Sirius Boner

It's the English sides flexing their muscles again... we've seen it before....even though many here said it wouldn't happen...it did...and again... the posturing has started..
    If they want to drop it to 16 sides .. then they will look to cut at least 2 Pro14 sides from the competition imo

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

errlloyd wrote: »

It's a nothing article looking to wind up exactly the people it has successfully wound up. Halliday didn't even mention downsizing the competition.

Something in club rugby will have to give to make the global calendar work, but awec is wrong that the English make more money out of the Premiership than European rugby. They know what side their bread is buttered.

• Advertisement

It's a nothing article looking to wind up exactly the people it has successfully wound up. Halliday didn't even mention downsizing the competition.

Something in club rugby will have to give to make the global calendar work, but awec is wrong that the English make more money out of the Premiership than European rugby. They know what side their bread is buttered.

There's no growth in Europe for the English though.

They want to grow the Premiership and present it as the forefront global competition. It's hard to do that when Europe is placed on a higher pedastal by the Pro14 teams and when their players are being flogged to death and unavailable for a lot of games.

If curbing Europe means more top players available for the Premiership, they'll see that as a win that adds value to the Premiership brand.

There's no growth in Europe for the English though.

They want to grow the Premiership and present it as the forefront global competition. It's hard to do that when Europe is placed on a higher pedastal by the Pro14 teams and when their players are being flogged to death and unavailable for a lot of games.

If curbing Europe means more top players available for the Premiership, they'll see that as a win that adds value to the Premiership brand.

This is an example of creating a fantasy and then jumping backwards through hoops until it makes sense

This is an example of creating a fantasy and then jumping backwards through hoops until it makes sense

In what way? We know for a fact that with the exception of teams like Saracens who can afford to win both competitions, most teams would rather win the Premiership. It's their primary competition.

We also know that the long term strategy of the Premiership is to grow the grand and market it as the Premier league of rugby. Much like soccer is. They want people from all over the world to watch the best teams play each other every weekend and it's why they brought on such a huge media partner with a history of doing exactly that.

And it's no secret that when things get tough, the English club owners are incredibly selfish and would rather throw European rugby under the bus to save/make a few quid. If they're being screamed at by the RFU, World Rugby and their own players/coaches that they need to start taking player welfare seriously then going off previous form they're going to want to do it by cutting European rugby first.

It's not a fantasy at all, it's entirely consistent with everything they do.

We know for a fact that with the exception of teams like Saracens who can afford to win both competitions, most teams would rather win the Premiership. It's their primary competition.

Where is this fact laid out?

Where is this fact laid out?

Well the fact that they haven't won the competition since 2008, if you exclude Saracens who are a special case, suggests that they don't get up for European rugby.

It's easy for us to **** on the Premiership and laud the Pro14 as the superior league because of how often Pro14 teams win in Europe but there are some incredible Premiership teams that don't seem to get up for Europe.

There was a Guardian article back in April talking about this around the time that the Premiership was talking about re-structureing. At the time there were leaks that the feeling among club owners was that Europe wasn't a big enough allure because half of the Premiership teams were in it anyway, it wasn't special. Reducing their involvement in Europe would allow for better player welfare and more emphasis on the Premiership.

Assuming of course they didn't just add more domestic fixtures, entirely possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

That article doesn't actually say it's the English who want to scale it back. Maybe it's the French. Maybe it's someone else. Maybe no one wants it and it is just one idea on a long list of suggestions for the future of the tournament.

That article doesn't actually say it's the English who want to scale it back. Maybe it's the French. Maybe it's someone else. Maybe no one wants it and it is just one idea on a long list of suggestions for the future of the tournament.

Possibly, the English do have form on this though.

I'd be shocked if it wasn't them.

Well the fact that they haven't won the competition since 2008, if you exclude Saracens who are a special case, suggests that they don't get up for European rugby.

Eh...

English teams didn't win the competition in 2008. It was Munster.

Munster though, jaysus there's a great example. Irish teams haven't even won the bloody competition since all the way back then! Excluding Leinster of course who are a special case.

This is Grade A ****e talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Or it could be a complete fluff piece and it's just a stakeholders meeting to review the schedule and ensure everyone's satisfied with how the competition works as is and future planning. Seeing as the article doesn't mention any club putting forward that they're unsatisfied about the existing format.

To be clear, Kitson's suggestion of "scaling it back" here frees up exactly 0 game weeks from the pool stages and adds an extra leg to the semi finals.

Also, reducing the competition to 16 teams is completely at odds with the suggestion of 3 team pools.

It's just shooting fish in a barrel when it comes to European rugby and Irish fans.

• Advertisement

Eh...

English teams didn't win the competition in 2008. It was Munster.

Munster though, jaysus there's a great example. Irish teams haven't even won the bloody competition since all the way back then! Excluding Leinster of course who are a special case.

This is Grade A ****e talk.

Sorry, 2007. Even worse.

I excluded Saracens for a reason, they're the only English team with the depth to compete in both competitions. None of the other teams are really able to do it.

We'll agree to disagree.

Sorry, 2007. Even worse.

I excluded Saracens for a reason, they're the only English team with the depth to compete in both competitions. None of the other teams are really able to do it.

We'll agree to disagree.

There's no actual substance to anything you've said.

Almost exactly the same is true of Irish teams as is true of English teams. It's evidence of absolutely nothing.

The suggestion that there's no room for growth in Europe for English sides is just as baseless as the suggestion that there's no room for growth for European rugby as a whole.

European rugby is the pinnacle for elite club rugby in England, France and in the Pro 14 countries. It's the level teams want to be at and it's where the most money can be generated.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,179 ✭✭✭✭Buer

If you exclude Leinster, a Pro14 side hasn't won the competition since 2008 (Wasps won it in 2007). The tournament has been dominated by 3 teams since then, that's all there is to it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

To be clear, Kitson's suggestion of "scaling it back" here frees up exactly 0 game weeks from the pool stages and adds an extra leg to the semi finals.

I have no idea where you are getting that from. It quite clearly states
    it is understood that a proposal to cut the number of European weekends from nine to either seven or eight is set to be aired.
    One possibility is for the pool stages to be reduced from six to four matches per team, with the semi-finals possibly being played over two home and away legs as happens in football.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I have no idea where you are getting that from. It quite clearly states

And how exactly do you play a 4-game per 3-team pool over any fewer weekends?

You also can’t fit a 3 team pool into 16 teams

In other words, my entire point here is that this is just someone scrambling together rumors and an unconnected interview and then padding it out with brexit

And how exactly do you play a 4-game per 3-team pool over any fewer weekends?

Currently four teams in each group. Home and away = six games/six weekends.

Three teams in each group. Home and away = four games/four weekends.

Oh really? What does the third team do while the other two are playing?

Oh really? What does the third team do while the other two are playing?

A bye week? It would certainly be consistent with player welfare.

Seems a bit messy though, I agree.

A bye week? It would certainly be consistent with player welfare.

Seems a bit messy though, I agree.

A bye week?

So it’s not 4 weekends then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,179 ✭✭✭✭Buer

4 games, 4 weekends....plus 2 weekends where one of the sides is idle.

Advertisement