Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

As a tenant, do I have the right to get rid of furniture provided by the landlord?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

check_six wrote: »
    The rental manifest will say "one set of broken furniture" (or equivalent). There will still be one set of broken furniture at end of tenancy. LL will not notice or care.

The vast majority of LL's own 2 or less properties. Even in my addled state I can remember what the fecking chairs looked like when I put them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

I've never heard of items missing from an inventory being treated as missing property or theft by the Gardaì.

The items in question will have a total value of under €100 which is what the OP will be liable for from the deposit.

I can't imagine the Gards will have much interest in such low value goods.
    Doop wrote: »
    Gaurds wouldn't let you finish your sentence! Viewed as a civil matter.

While they may be of a low economic value decide that they are only worth 100e is a bit of a leap?
    This is not a broken item which was reported to the LL these are 2 bits of bulkey furniture which the OP would be removing and disposing of without permission of the owner.
    The Garda may view it as a civil matter but the law does not.
    The Gardai don't have much of a choice when it comes to accepting a report of a crime. If the value is under 500e the LL can even file a report online. They may not be interested in dealing with it and not want to assign any resources but if the LL wants to escalate its usually easier for the Garda to make a call to the tenant and advise they and the LL come to an agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

If there's no new couch then there are no disposal fees.

All you're entitled to withhold from the deposit is the current value of the couch that's gone, not the cost of a new couch.

Technically your correct, however they can bring me to RTB if they think they can dump my item without any repercussions of me at least trying to get a couch that would be like for like.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I expect that after eight years the items concerned will be considered to be of zero value. That doesn't stop a theft complaint being made though IMHO, assuming the dishonesty mens rea is met.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Loveache

If I were planning to be there for a few years, I would buy cheap but workable furniture from Argos or ikea and then leave it behind as replacement for the crap stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Doop wrote: »
    Option 3:
    - Agree with the LL that you will leave the place furnished upon termination of lease.
    - Go buy your own decent stuff. Take it with you when leaving.
    - Pick up cheap furniture from good will/charity shop and leave this behind in the studio. (I bet the original furniture is probably from the charity shop!)

That's not really an option. No sane landlord would agree to having their furniture removed with no guarantee of what they are getting back when tenant leaves the property (agreeing to leave the place furnished is too open to interpretation in terms of when a properly furnished property is).

I think the other 2 are the only viable options. Or if the furnitures looks really bad try to convince the landlord to be new ones.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

I've never heard of items missing from an inventory being treated as missing property or theft by the Gardaì.

The items in question will have a total value of under €100 which is what the OP will be liable for from the deposit.

I can't imagine the Gards will have much interest in such low value goods.

I know a former tenant who was convicted of taking items to her new house.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

This thread- is why Ireland needs to seriously reappraise its relationship with 'furnished accommodation'.
    The amount of rental dwellings being let unfurnished- is rising- but nowhere near as fast as it should be.
    There is a viable demand from both tenants and landlords- for unfurnished units- its nutty that more landlords and tenants don't embrace the concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Tenancies are certainly getting longer than they used to be. This will drive a change I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The furniture (no matter how shoddy or broken) is the landlord's property. You have no legal right to do anything with it.

You need to negotiate with the landlord on options. If he won't accept, then you'll have to figure out a plan B, like putting the furniture in storage somewhere, so that it can be safely returned at the end of the tenancy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

This thread- is why Ireland needs to seriously reappraise its relationship with 'furnished accommodation'.
    The amount of rental dwellings being let unfurnished- is rising- but nowhere near as fast as it should be.
    There is a viable demand from both tenants and landlords- for unfurnished units- its nutty that more landlords and tenants don't embrace the concept.

From my dealing with rental. The vast majority of people want furnished as it’s the norm. If you go against the grain(personally I would love to have the German/American model of unfurnished), we as a landlord loose out on more money as they take longer to let. People that move into them generally stay longer however there is a reason why you don’t see many in daft.
    I hope it changes in the future however it will be a slow burner if it does. The fact that the minimum standard requires a microwave shows exactly where we are the government want us to go. Some people don’t even use a microwave yet it’s minimum standard aparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭TheChizler

How far do they go in other places? How much of a shell is the next tenant given to work with and what are the limits of what they could do to the place?

IMO it should be allowed to provide the 4 walls and windows and nothing else, give some tenants the option to install/replace kitchens, floors, renovate bathrooms if they wanted to (provided they can prove they have the ability to fund the work beforehand), instead we have laws specifying the minimum number of rings on the hob. There's no chance of this happening while short leases and lack of security of tenure (for responsible paying tenants) are the norm though. I'd love to take a bit of pride in and renovate my apartment beyond the base cost furnishings, appliances, and kitchen installed but even if I was allowed I would never take on the risk while I could be removed even when fulfilling all my obligations as a tenant. I'd need to be guaranteed at least 10-15 years in the place (as long as I'm paying rent) for that. Hence I intend to buy so I can have a bit of control over my home (cost of rent at the moment aside).

There'll always be a market for furnished, cheap, short-term (2-3 years) rentals, but I think we need some sort of move towards the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Moomintroll99

The furniture (no matter how shoddy or broken) is the landlord's property. You have no legal right to do anything with it.

Yeah but what about when it's not a matter of taste but safety? In our rental, before we bought our current place, there was a table with a broken leg for example. We had no idea, served food to our kids the first night and wham! Broken plates on the floor, kids screaming in fear as the thing collapsed.

Similarly, one mattress was infested with silverfish, actually living inside the mattress. Our four year old was undergoing chemotherapy and was supposed to be in a 100% germ free environment between hospital visits. There was no way any sane parent would allow him to sleep on the mattress provided. If we had, and he had caught an infection and it had necessitated yet more time in hospital/been fatal or whatever, who would have been responsible? Same with the mould etc.

But then again, no sane parent would make a big fuss about this stuff at a time of such severe rental shortages, because the only thing worse than having a sick kid would have been having a sick kid and no home to live in.

We were in no way short of money, having sold our place in Australia and just looking for a place to buy, we only rented for 8 months, were happy to buy stuff, coming from countries where buying stuff for your home is quite normal, rented or otherwise.

So if we, in our position of relative wealth, couldn't solve this issue and deliver ourselves safe, clean rental housing, who could?

Advertisement