Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shops/Businesses opening/closing INFO thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Looks like this is the last week for the Westwood Hotel. They don't seem to be taking any bookings after this weekend. While student accommodation is needed Galway could really have done without losing the hotel rooms that were available there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

topcat77 wrote: »
    A golf shop has gone into the old Nigels cycles unit on Tuam road.

American golf.

I’ll stick with Declan in Golfstyle myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,993 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Looks like this is the last week for the Westwood Hotel. They don't seem to be taking any bookings after this weekend. While student accommodation is needed Galway could really have done without losing the hotel rooms that were available there.
    Plenty of B&Bs and AirBnBs around to take the custom as the market shifts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Pity that company did not buy the derelict Corrib Great Southern beside GMIT instead of the Westwood.

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    American golf.

I’ll stick with Declan in Golfstyle myself.

If Golfstyle had a website, I'd be more inclined to visit them for some purchases. Alas, I'll probably start shopping in American Golf more now, as I can check what they have on sale on their website

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,083 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Pity that company did not buy the derelict Corrib Great Southern beside GMIT instead of the Westwood.

It's a pity that the derelict Corrib Great Southern isn't next to NUIG or even on the same side of the river.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

It's a pity that the derelict Corrib Great Southern isn't next to NUIG or even on the same side of the river.

GMIT students need accommodation, too.
    We are talking about a developer who builds student accommodation for profit. As long as there are students to rent the accommodation, I don't think they care where their tenants study.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

GMIT students need accommodation, too.
    We are talking about a developer who builds student accommodation for profit. As long as there are students to rent the accommodation, I don't think they care where their tenants study.

There is still a massive demand for student accommodation. Edward Square tenants are being evicted so that students can move instead at almost 3 times the rental price. (http://www.zigguratstudents.com/galway/edward-square-apartments) I heard last week that GMIT had erected a marquee as so many students were sleeping in cars (hearsay I know).

Student Accommodation is needed, no matter the location. GMIT students are in Newcastle and NUIG are in Renmore as it is the only places they can get. The higher the capacity at both sides of the river, the easier it will be for students to get accommodation on their 'own' side of the river. Hopefully the supply can increase and try normalize the accommodation prices for students. I have seen some new landlords advertising a room for €400 - €500 a month but you are not allowed to have the room at weekends :rolleyes: how is a student supposed to afford that if they cannot work at weekends.

Sorry for the accommodation rant, but I do have a link to new student accommodation, which is a new business opening I guess! :o

Never cease to surprise. You can be so one dimensional at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Back on topic folks - opening/closing.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Last checkout 30th, closing Fri 29th to the public

Major pity in my view, very sparse social amenities on the NW side of city now

youngrun wrote: »
    Last checkout 30th, closing Fri 29th to the public

Major pity in my view, very sparse social amenities on the NW side of city now

Agree, not just NW side. Poor planning at the heart of it really.

Demolition work set to begin on Westwood Hotel
    https://connachttribune.ie/demolition-work-set-to-begin-on-westwood-hotel/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭flazio

So Pulse accessories in the Corrib shopping centre (Debnhams / Roches Stores) has a closing down sale, has been for a few months actually, and yet has a sign on the window they're looking for staff. Hmmmm

flazio wrote: »
    So Pulse accessories in the Corrib shopping centre (Debnhams / Roches Stores) has a closing down sale, has been for a few months actually, and yet has a sign on the window they're looking for staff. Hmmmm

Think they've been "closing down" for about 2-3 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

flazio wrote: »

They have closed down I think all of their other stores over the last 12 months, this appears to be the last one standing. They can't hold onto staff because there is no security in there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Mostly Harmless

I have *heard* that EZ Living bought the empty factory building opposite the airport and will be opening something there in coming months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

I have *heard* that EZ Living bought the empty factory building opposite the airport and will be opening something there in coming months

I have also heard this. And the fact that there have been several EZ trucks coming and going, and parked there over the past few weeks has validated it somewhat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

westgolf wrote: »
    Arabica @ Joyce's in Knocknacarra closed. Sign on window - " shop is closed, many thanks to all our customers " hasn't been open for a few days now.

Passed by there yesterday and workmen were fitting it out. They said it would become another Ground & Co

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Passed by there yesterday and workmen were fitting it out. They said it would become another Ground & Co

Yup. It's on their Facebook page now so no longer rumor :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭westgolf

aw wrote: »
    I have also heard this. And the fact that there have been several EZ trucks coming and going, and parked there over the past few weeks has validated it somewhat.

They have a storage warehouse leased on the tuam road. Might be getting out of it as it was only available on a short term lease as far as I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

What's the story with Boots, Shop Street?

Sign on the door -

"Due to unforeseen circumstances closed until further notice"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭flazio

?Cee?view wrote: »

Sign on the door -

Strange one. How about Headford road?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭yayaitsme

Sign on the door -

There was a fire engine outside it about 11.30 this morning

Sign on the door -

Sign gone by 8:30pm, but there were signs of worker inside doing stock etc. Lights usually more off by that time I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

I think that site woud be a very good place to put a coach stop/the bus stop on that junction.
    The bus stop at GMIT is way too small for the custom that uses it. Especially since it services most of the Intercity buses heading out on the Dublin and Oranmore roads.
    Pavement is way too narrow and is often filled with passengers with luggage.

Would think most towns would stick up a terminus somewhere around there to handle the traffic that has wound up adapting what is just a normal stop on a junction that doesn't have lights.
    Would have though things like that might be taken in to consideration when they were building the new garda station

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭charleville

There’s a new doors and flooring showroom opening in the liosban industrial estate... the Door centre it’s going to be called, there was works going on all week there.
    Badly needed I think since the door depot closed a few months back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭westgolf

Motorpark changing hands to become part of Sheils of Ennis group. Lyons of Limerick coming to town with the Jaguar and Land Rover brand, no definite location mentioned yet for this one though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,261 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

New bike shop in Liosban beside the Eastern European supermarket.

westgolf wrote: »
    Motorpark changing hands to become part of Sheils of Ennis group. Lyons of Limerick coming to town with the Jaguar and Land Rover brand, no definite location mentioned yet for this one though.

Bradley’s Land Rover was sold to Renault after the owner died, so there was an opening there for a new agent.. I didn’t know they were coming in though, they’ll do well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,993 ✭✭✭✭zell12

New bike shop in Liosban beside the Eastern European supermarket.
    Name, where exactly in Liosbán?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭ratracer

zell12 wrote: »
    Name, where exactly in Liosbán?

Pelo, and it’s in Centrepoint in Liosbán Est. It’s the good folk who also own Velocity bike shop in Oranmore.

ratracer wrote: »
    Pelo, and it’s in Centrepoint in Liosbán Est. It’s the good folk who also own Velocity bike shop in Oranmore.

Jeez.. there’s a lot of new places opening in Liosban recently it’s becoming more popular there it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭1perriwinkle

Olga’s alterations on Abbeygate street has closed. No notice in the window, anyone know where she’s gone? She was really good and very reasonable. Or does anyone know a good alternative in town that won’t fleece me for taking up a pair of trousers/jeans?

Olga’s alterations on Abbeygate street has closed. No notice in the window, anyone know where she’s gone? She was really good and very reasonable. Or does anyone know a good alternative in town that won’t fleece me for taking up a pair of trousers/jeans?
    Closed a while back, notice was on door and posted here too. There's a good alterations place next to Tesco homewares shop in GSC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Is the Galway Indo maybe a comeback? This "Galway Today" twitter account looks similar to the old GI one, no? https://twitter.com/galway_today It's been a while since I've looked at the GI though (understandably) and I wasn't a follower, so I could be completely mistaken...

Edit: Yep, 'tis - there's a link to a competition which goes to a defunct GI facebook page. Interesting...

• Advertisement

Ficheall wrote: »
    Is the Galway Indo maybe a comeback? This "Galway Today" twitter account looks similar to the old GI one, no? https://twitter.com/galway_today It's been a while since I've looked at the GI though (understandably) and I wasn't a follower, so I could be completely mistaken...

Edit: Yep, 'tis - there's a link to a competition which goes to a defunct GI facebook page. Interesting...

It doesn't seem to have had any activity since the independent shut down last September.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

It doesn't seem to have had any activity since the independent shut down last September.
    Aye, I noticed that, but I was wondering if there was some reason for the name change and whether anyone had any further info

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Anyone know why she closed?

Always looked busy in there to me.

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Does anyone know if 'The Barber's Chair' on Dominic st, is still in business?
    Ive sent a lot to it and they always tell me it was closed when they got there.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

Anyone know why she closed?

Always looked busy in there to me.

TbL

No. She had a sign up on the very last days saying "going out of business" so I suspect she hasn't just moved somewhere else.

For a while on Sunday this sign was on the outside of the door - it was removed by the night time, don't know if it was by the landlord, a yob or a competitor. Anyways, if you're from the area than Victoria in Craughwell is an option.

(Main Street, Craughwell oppposite the church. 085 821 8442. fb.me/victoraalterations )

464906.PNG

I haven't used them yet, but next time I was something altered I'm going to try the lad who tool over the tailoring business over the former Vina Mara next to the Augustinian church, looks like he has a women's alterations service working with him now:
    464907.PNG

• Advertisement

Bredabe wrote: »
    Does anyone know if 'The Barber's Chair' on Dominic st, is still in business?
    Ive sent a lot to it and they always tell me it was closed when they got there.

I walked past this morning and he was open and cutting hair.

But I think he does have interesting opening hours - a little more relaxed / varied than many shops.

On a related note, there's a new barber-shop called Sebastian in the former City Taxis premises in Eyre Street.

And Hansome Burger have "coming soon" signs in the window of the former Creole restaurant in Dominic St.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭xckjoo

But I think he does have interesting opening hours - a little more relaxed / varied than many shops.

I think that lad just opens whenever he feels like it. It's great that there's still places like that in existence :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

xckjoo wrote: »

I think that lad just opens whenever he feels like it. It's great that there's still places like that in existence :pac:
    How is that great for customers if they never know if he's going to be open or not?

ongarboy wrote: »
    xckjoo wrote: »

How is that great for customers if they never know if he's going to be open or not?
    He's been there long enough so it works for him, doubt he cares to be honest. His regulars obviously know when to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Mostly Harmless

He's been there long enough so it works for him, doubt he cares to be honest. His regulars obviously know when to go.
    He definitely does not care

Gatsby Menswear in Woodquay have big Closing Down sale signs in the window. The shop wasn't open when I walked past about 11am this morning, so it may be gone already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭skinny90

He definitely does not care

Can second that, I know some who was sitting waiting for roughly 10/15 mins. When it was his turn the owner decided it was lunch time and told them to come back after an hour :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Massimos to close temporarily from tomorrow (all day & night) until 6pm Thurs for renovations.

https://www.facebook.com/244373110075/posts/10161052595900076/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Gourmet Food Parlour in Salthill, open when I passed 90 mins ago.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Bredabe wrote: »
    Gourmet Food Parlour in Salthill, open when I passed 90 mins ago.

I've never been clear whether its a restaurant or a shop, or both. Anyone been in?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement