Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing INFO thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Paddy Poutine on Dominick St has been "closed for maintenance" for well over a month now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Redo91

jenno86 wrote: »
    Paddy Poutine on Dominick St has been "closed for maintenance" for well over a month now.
    Jesus was it open a month even?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

My sister would know them very well and they are indeed closed still for maintenance. Been told a lot of work is needed to put in proper toilet facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    My sister would know them very well and they are indeed closed still for maintenance. Been told a lot of work is needed to put in proper toilet facilities.

When was the planning granted?

'PLANS TO BE LODGED FOR €250M DEVELOPMENT AT CROWN CONTROL SITE IN MERVUE
    The anchor of the project will be a ‘business campus’ style development that will accommodate over 3 thousand workers.

Also included in the plans will be several hundred residental units, a 170 bedroom hotel, and a public square similar in size to Eyre Square'
    https://galwaybayfm.ie/plans-to-be-lodged-for-e250m-development-at-crown-control-site-in-mervue/

This strikes me as overdevelopment - I can't imagine the traffic heading to it for nine am.

• Advertisement

This strikes me as overdevelopment - I can't imagine the traffic heading to it for nine am.

It's a huge site, and currently a massive hole in the ground doing nothing for anybody.

On three different bus routes already (one from a regional town, ) one of which is tipped to increase in frequency.

There's a housing shortage. Businesses are struggling to find suitable office space, and also hotel rooms for visiting workers. Hopefully many people living there can walk to work either in the park itself or in the Mervue or Ballybrit industrial areas.

I'd worry about the big open space ... could become a magnet for all sorts of interesting activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

A new French cafe/bakery opening soon in Terryland called C'est la Vie, next to the Paul Byrons Shoe Shop and EZ Living.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭xckjoo

It's a huge site, and currently a massive hole in the ground doing nothing for anybody.

On three different bus routes already (one from a regional town, ) one of which is tipped to increase in frequency.

There's a housing shortage. Businesses are struggling to find suitable office space, and also hotel rooms for visiting workers. Hopefully many people living there can walk to work either in the park itself or in the Mervue or Ballybrit industrial areas.

I'd worry about the big open space ... could become a magnet for all sorts of interesting activities.

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

xckjoo wrote: »
    Why?

Skateboarders

In fairness I'd much rather skateboarders than what I saw In front of Collins barracks dublin passing on the bus yesterday.

Lots of 'winos' skulling cans with their shirts off on the nice green.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

The last thing we need is open-spaces for users to shoot up in front of everyone. Studies have conclusively proven playgrounds breed anti-social behaviour. Obviously we need more heavily planted, secluded areas like Terryland Park for safety and for the sake of the children.

lovejoy3.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

The last thing we need is open-spaces for users to shoot up in front of everyone. Studies have conclusively proven playgrounds breed anti-social behaviour. Obviously we need more heavily planted, secluded areas like Terryland Park for safety and for the sake of the children.

lovejoy3.jpg
    Bit drastic no ?

Maybe more patrolling Gardai and a security guard or two

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Was courts service not looking at moving out to this site at one stage ? Holding area in the basement and courts at ground and first floor type setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

Salthill Social received a closure order from a health inspector and is closed. Instagram page has completely evaporated too. I was really looking forward to trying there, marketing was good and they did a free kids meal with adult meal.

Probably a good thing we didn't frequent there though, my other half is a chef and he said to get an immediate CO there has be serious health risk violations.

https://www.galwaydaily.com/news/one-galway-restaurant-closed/

D Trent wrote: »
    Bit drastic no ?

Maybe more patrolling Gardai and a security guard or two

Neither of which will be provided for an office / apartment complex.

My concern is that the the developer knows what they want to build there, but doesn't want to tell the planners until they have permission for the first part, or apartment buyers until they have purchased.

Not good practise.

Mervue already has plenty of open space

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Neither of which will be provided for an office / apartment complex.

My concern is that the the developer knows what they want to build there, but doesn't want to tell the planners until they have permission for the first part, or apartment buyers until they have purchased.

Not good practise.

If he builds it as big as his press release says it will need all the open space for the numbers of people he is suggesting between homeowners living and employees working there.

Aran sweater market has opened in the building site at the bottom of Quay St. Glass floor by the counter lets you see some of the historic basement.

Your logic is baffling sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Coffee club beside cps is now open and the unit 2 doors up is being worked on and will be opening as a cafe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Bótown (a new burger place on Dominick Street)!is opening on July 6.

https://www.facebook.com/188517818629029/posts/233803897433754/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Bótown (a new burger place on Dominick Street)!is opening on July 6.

https://www.facebook.com/188517818629029/posts/233803897433754/

Being co-run by crime/court reporter Frank Greaney, randomly enough!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Hopscotch Kids Cloths store in Lower AbbeyGate Street closed, being replaced by "WeFixiT Galway" soon, photo graphic evidence attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Judging by their Facebook page, Paddy’s Poutine is back up and running.

EDIT: I passed by this evening (Sat July 7) and the place seemed to be still in bits and under maintenance, so I’m not sure what the post on their Facebook was about. Bótown, on the other hand, looked to be doing steady business.

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Judging by their Facebook page, Paddy’s Poutine is back up and running.

EDIT: I passed by this evening (Sat July 7) and the place seemed to be still in bits and under maintenance, so I’m not sure what the post on their Facebook was about. Bótown, on the other hand, looked to be doing steady business.

Just coming to post the same thing.

The FB post likely refers to the van which was at the seafest last week and likely other places too..

My question anout planning to use the building beside Carrolls as a restaurant still stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Just coming to post the same thing.

The FB post likely refers to the van which was at the seafest last week and likely other places too..

My question anout planning to use the building beside Carrolls as a restaurant still stands.
    A post on their facebook page says that it s not happening:
    "Paddy's Poutine Hi lads, unfortunately there is a lot more work to do in Dominick Street than we where led to believe and as we only had a two year lease, financially it was not the right move to invest more in that location but as always (and getting very common for us) we will keep going and already have plans in place for a new location and we'll fill ye all in soon 😉"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

A post on their facebook page says that it s not happening:
    "Paddy's Poutine Hi lads, unfortunately there is a lot more work to do in Dominick Street than we where led to believe and as we only had a two year lease, financially it was not the right move to invest more in that location but as always (and getting very common for us) we will keep going and already have plans in place for a new location and we'll fill ye all in soon 😉"

Are they any good? It's chips & gravy, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭Bredabe

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Are they any good? It's chips & gravy, right?

Mine love it all, particularly the veggie options and/or the regular burger, I like their coleslaw myself.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭ratracer

New Asian fusion restaurant ‘The Plates’ opened up on Lower Dominic St, was previously an Italian I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭-Vega-

Paddys Poutine is set up in Crust Bucket bus in Carrolls bar while they are waiting on renovations I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yes, it's on their FB page https://www.facebook.com/paddyspoutine/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

-Vega- wrote: »
    Paddys Poutine is set up in Crust Bucket bus in Carrolls bar while they are waiting on renovations I think.

Perfect combo! Would rather the poutine over a pizza with beer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement