Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My 50 year old neighbour on Disability

Options
  • 11-06-2018 5:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭

I just moved into a new house.

I had chatted to my new neighbour before, 50, fairly stable, on disability.

The first thing he tells me is that he is on disability and he pays something lile 13 euro a week rent. So thats cool. Means nothing to me.

Then he starts laying down the law of the land .

Started off fairly normal . He was complaining about the other neighbours etc.

But now its gone to a new level. Anytime I have a "late night" my car is scratched up a little bit more.

Last Sunday , it was an awesome BBQ day, so we had people over and had music playing etc throughout the day, as did many neighbours.

The next day my car was keyed from front to back.

I am not saying it is this guy next door, but one of the other neighbours met me on the street last Sunday and she said that he had complained to her about the direction of smoke from the BBQ. Her BBQ not mine.

I own my house outright .

I am not moving because of a busy nody next door neighbour

Will I tell him ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Tell him what? That you think he keyed your car but you have no proof?

Install a secret camera and aim it at your driveway.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,234 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Where is your car parked? Can you fix up a camera to record who is damaging it?

This is a matter for the guards. If it is your neighbour who is doind this, confronting him or accusing him is not likely to make him stop. And if it isn't your neighbour who is doing this, then wrongly accusing him is not likely to improve relations between them.

So you need evidence. And then you need the guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

OP; camera. Please. Or keep watch all night then call the Gardai.

As a survivor several times of "neighbour disputes" as the authorities call these things, nothing will be done without concrete proof and even then?

I put up with this kind of aggression for years at one house. Even though I had witnesses and there was serious damage done, there was no action taken.

Evidence; try Gardai, then private legal action is the only way. It really is. far less stressful than what you are making of this now. Could be ANYONE as you are too new there to know folk and neighbours will not talk as they will defend their neighbourhood.

This man could be totally innocent of more than grumbling about noise and smoke! Why pick on him? He sounds lonely as many disabled folk are; been there done that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

1. Throw another big party with plenty of music
    2. Stake out the area all night where you car is parked
    3. Ring the guards

Problem solved

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Two gambred pitbulls?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

Can you be sure there isn’t more of them in on it. You should stake out the welfare office and see if you can spot them congregating.
    You are in a great position here owning your house outright you can give up the job and watch the car full time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭damianch

We have designated parking , so I am in the spot next to his. If I could place a camera , I would have to put it on the side of the car , a dash cam wouldnt suffice and he would clearly see. Insdead I have moved my car to the visitor spots in the complex, in the hope he will ask me why .

so

the age

and socioeconomic status

of yr neighbour is the sum of f*** all to do with this topic

yet it is 100% of the title

hmmm

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Where is your car parked? Can you fix up a camera to record who is damaging it?

This is a matter for the guards. If it is your neighbour who is doind this, confronting him or accusing him is not likely to make him stop. And if it isn't your neighbour who is doing this, then wrongly accusing him is not likely to improve relations between them.

So you need evidence. And then you need the guards.

We have designated spaces and his is next to mine. I have since started parking in the visitor area tho .

And my problem is exactly what you say. I think it is him, and he is my neighbour , but imagine accusing him and it isnt him.

Actually imagine accusing him and it is him, its a no win :(

I thought when I bought my own house, at last, but now I have some neighbour who is a dick! And I don't even now them yet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Sorry for your troubles op but what has this man being on disability allowance and paying a tiny sum of rent got to do with the story?

• Advertisement

damianch wrote: »
    We have designated spaces and his is next to mine. I have since started parking in the visitor area tho .

And my problem is exactly what you say. I think it is him, and he is my neighbour , but imagine accusing him and it isnt him.

Actually imagine accusing him and it is him, its a no win :(

I thought when I bought my own house, at last, but now I have some neighbour who is a dick! And I don't even now them yet

Hang on. Do you own your own house or have a mortgage?

Graces7 wrote: »
    OP; camera. Please. Or keep watch all night then call the Gardai.

As a survivor several times of "neighbour disputes" as the authorities call these things, nothing will be done without concrete proof and even then?

I put up with this kind of aggression for years at one house. Even though I had witnesses and there was serious damage done, there was no action taken.

Evidence; try Gardai, then private legal action is the only way. It really is. far less stressful than what you are making of this now. Could be ANYONE as you are too new there to know folk and neighbours will not talk as they will defend their neighbourhood.

This man could be totally innocent of more than grumbling about noise and smoke! Why pick on him? He sounds lonely as many disabled folk are; been there done that.

I totally agree the man could be innocent . Only one neighbour I know spoke bad of him, and I am fairly well rounded to know not to listen to any individual.

I am almost afraid to catch him if it is him. However I think by me parking my car elsewhere and then explaining to him why I did that , might be a passive way of solving it... Once I present it to him correctly.

I made a mistake upon meeting him though. He is a bit of a gossip. And he was telling me about this neighbour and that neighbour and in all my awkwardness I said " ah i don't care, I don't have a mortage "

I think that might have made him hate me :(

I totally agree the man could be innocent . Only one neighbour I know spoke bad of him, and I am fairly well rounded to know not to listen to any individual.

I am almost afraid to catch him if it is him. However I think by me parking my car elsewhere and then explaining to him why I did that , might be a passive way of solving it... Once I present it to him correctly.

I made a mistake upon meeting him though. He is a bit of a gossip. And he was telling me about this neighbour and that neighbour and in all my awkwardness I said " ah i don't care, I don't have a mortage "

I think that might have made him hate me :(

Hahaha you don’t have a house do you?

erica74 wrote: »
    Sorry for your troubles op but what has this man being on disability allowance and paying a tiny sum of rent got to do with the story?

I see where you are going, but I'll stop you there.

He said to me in the first convo with him that he was on disability and what he is paying. Before I nearly got my first name out.

I'd never question anyone on disability as I know how difficult it is to be approved for it. I wasn't putting him down in that regard .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

What is it the title of the post tho?

so

the age

and socioeconomic status

of yr neighbour is the sum of f*** all to do with this topic

yet it is 100% of the title

hmmm

It is actually relevant . Just cannot explain if you don't see it

Try_harder wrote: »

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

a dash cam wouldnt suffice and he would clearly see.

Why would you not want him or whoever is vandalising your car to see the dashcam? If the objective is to stop it happening again then it being seen will go a long way towards that end.

What about the car op, is that leased bought outright or on of them repackaged hire purchase jobs?

1. Throw another big party with plenty of music
    2. Stake out the area all night where you car is parked
    3. Ring the guards

Problem solved

I reallt like this idea , thanks Bob. And i will also warn some of my mates to film anything they see relating to him.

I love clear concise points

• Advertisement

He said to me in the first convo with him that he was on disability and what he is paying. Before I nearly got my first name out.

I'd never question anyone on disability as I know how difficult it is to be approved for it. I wasn't putting him down in that regard .

Why is his age and employment status the title of the thread then?

It is actually relevant . Just cannot explain if you don't see it
    It's not relevant, not at all. He's either keying your car or he isn't. His age and state of health do not make him more likely to be keying your car, and they provide no kind of defence or excuse if in fact he is keying your car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

But you putting his Disability Allowance in the thread title is the online forum equivalent of him saying thus and what he was paying before anyone gets their name out. Perhaps you have something in common with him after all?

Anyway its not about his age or his income - if someone is damaging your property try and record it and report to police.

Try_harder wrote: »

What? Do you want a PC sentence so if I get it wrong you can run to the Twitter Wokes and Shame me?

If you want a proper reply PM me . As clearly you only care about the headline and not the content....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

I think my neighbour is keying my car might be more relevant and get you better advice. But go ahead.

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    The issue is thinking clearly about the OP's problem and how it can be resolved. Bringing his neighbour's age and health condition into the discussion suggests that the OP may not be thinking clearly - he is being distracted by irrelevancies. This won't help him sort out the issue.

What about the car op, is that leased bought outright or on of them repackaged hire purchase jobs?

The car is all mine! Now with added scrathces :D And yes I paid for it all by myself after the little bit of money I had over from buying my home. I had 4k left, and i spent 3k on the car and spent the rest on something else

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Bigus

Tell him what? That you think he keyed your car but you have no proof?

Yes , you play the long game ,gather the evidence over time. you might also catch him stroking/cash work or doing delivers off the books or something as leverage, for future confrontations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

erica74 wrote: »

A lot.

He was demonstrating the local pecking order to the OP and basically telling the OP that he thinks he/she's a sucker for grafting and ponying up a mortgage when he has the same for €13 a week.

https://amp.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/david-mcwilliams/mystery-of-massive-rise-in-those-quitting-workforce-on-disability-29170473.html

Advertisement