Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin and Wicklow

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I'd always associate the likes of Delgany and Greystones with prods and old money.

Not so much Blessington and Arklow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

The money would be better spent walling in the dubs and stem the tide of inhumanity flowing like and invading mongol hoard into the garden county and beyond.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,109 ✭✭✭✭Esel

"Is it me hoard of gold you're looking for, Sur?"

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Zero Point wrote: »
    No idea but I've always thought that the east Wicklow accent is some strange variant of the Donegal accent. Perhaps there is a link there somewhere.

North Wicklow: Northern intonation, Dublin pronunciation.

South Wicklow: Northern intonation, Wexford pronunciation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭nowaynever

mariaalice wrote: »
    There are two Wicklows the locals and the newcomer's something like 40% of the population of Wicklow were not born in Wicklow. A not insignificant amount of this is the desire to live an urban lifestyle in a rural area.

As it gets easier to commute from places like Aughrim this lifestyle will spread further and further out.

I’d say it’s more than 40%. Dublin’s Holles street would surely account for that alone:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,571 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Never see Wicklow in GAA matches.

It's like they don't exist.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I agree that Wicklow doesn’t work cohesively as a single county unit but then, most of our counties are outdated concepts and only exist for admin and GAA rivalry purposes. A set of larger more defined regions based on the functional areas/hinterlands of our cities would make much more sense. But then, we don’t do much common sense in this country...

The mountains (which Dublin is very lucky to have as a scenic resource) divide Wicklow into two - East Wicklow and West Wicklow and they are very different in their local cultural affinities. Baltinglass seems very far removed from Wicklow town. Then the county also has a North-South divide with Bray and Greystones being effectively Dublin suburbs (the latter posh, the former having a more “coarse” reputation), lots of money - much if not most of it “new” money and the Avoca cafe/shop culture where the latter gravitate to. Very expensive real estate.

Then there’s Arklow which seems closer to North Wexford than Bray. And the region south of the mountain block - Shillelagh, Tinahely and Carnew - that seem very remote and very distinct in their own right.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,034 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

feargale wrote: »
    North Wicklow: Northern intonation, Dublin pronunciation.

South Wicklow: Northern intonation, Wexford pronunciation.

Ya wha

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I agree that Wicklow doesn’t work cohesively as a single county unit but then, most of our counties are outdated concepts and only exist for admin and GAA rivalry purposes. A set of larger more defined regions based on the functional areas/hinterlands of our cities would make much more sense. But then, we don’t do much common sense in this country...

The mountains (which Dublin is very lucky to have as a scenic resource) divide Wicklow into two - East Wicklow and West Wicklow and they are very different in their local cultural affinities. Baltinglass seems very far removed from Wicklow town. Then the county also has a North-South divide with Bray and Greystones being effectively Dublin suburbs (the latter posh, the former having a more “coarse” reputation), lots of money - much if not most of it “new” money and the Avoca cafe/shop culture where the latter gravitate to. Very expensive real estate.

Then there’s Arklow which seems closer to North Wexford than Bray. And the region south of the mountain block - Shillelagh, Tinahely and Carnew - that seem very remote and very distinct in their own right.

Thats what I just said

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I know a guy who plays GAA for Bray Emmets and had to play a Wicklow Championship match against Blessington. The journey was nearly all through Dublin and not Wicklow. Surely Bray should be part of Dublin and Wicklow considering most people living in Bray consider themselves Dubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

Never see Wicklow in GAA matches.

It's like they don't exist.

the only way the'll see Croke Park is if they go to a concert there.:eek:::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I know a guy who plays GAA for Bray Emmets and had to play a Wicklow Championship match against Blessington. The journey was nearly all through Dublin and not Wicklow. Surely Bray should be part of Dublin and Wicklow considering most people living in Bray consider themselves Dubs.

Yeah but no but yeah but no but yeah but no

I see your point. Its difficult to extrapolate this though.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement