Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin and Wicklow

Options
  • 10-06-2018 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,571 ✭✭✭✭

What are the biggest differences between Dublin people and Wicklow people and how can we spur dialogue between the two sides?

It's just that the mountains there would be handy to build over (sure it's a bit high and it snows in the winter but the views would be amazing), lots of open space for us Dubs and we can't keep taking from Kildare.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

What are the biggest differences between Dublin people and Wicklow people and how can we spare dialogue between the two sides?

It's just that the mountains there would be handy to build over (sure it's a bit high and it snows in the winter but the views would be amazing), lots of open space for us Dubs and we can't keep taking from Kildare.

The loud Wicklow people are new money and the quiet Wicklow people are poor

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

I mainly associate Wicklow with Larry Murphy and Glenroe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

What are the biggest differences between Dublin people and Wicklow people and how can we spur dialogue between the two sides?

Build houses over the Wicklow Mountains just because some people have ****loads of money to pay for it and ruined the view of the Mountains so they can have views over others??
    Fcuk off.

( you answered you're own question in your post)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭policarp

Cavan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

deco nate wrote: »
    Build houses over the Wicklow Mountains just because some people have ****loads of money to pay for it and ruined the view of the Mountains so they can have views over others??
    Fcuk off.

( you answered you're own question in your post)

Give it time. Greenbelt means nothing now. Where I am from in Scotland was once a village. Even 20 years ago there were fields, woods etc.

Now its just some older houses in a massive development the size of Tallaght. Fields and woods gone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Is Wicka not part of the big D now?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭dclifford

Until they sort out that bit of N11 at Kilmacanoge they will always be seperated. Its like the future meets the past.

7.8kwp South facing, Slane.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I used to work in a place on Henry St. not a bother apart from the odd junkie, generally harmless enough once they knew that if they tried anything every security guard on the street would pile in for a go. Got moved out to Dundrum, between the South Dublin arseholes and the Wicklow arseholes I lasted all of three months. Now I'm not suggesting the everyone in South Dublin or Wicklow is an arsehole, just the ones that are, and there's no shortage, are grade A, monumental, arseholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

There's Something About Arklow.

(I'm pretty sure it's incest)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Can't be dealing with the strange wicklow/mountain/nordy accent

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Dublin has gangs, while Wicklow provides hidden burial grounds for the gangs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

Peatys wrote: »
    Can't be dealing with the strange wicklow/mountain/nordy accent

Yeah, what's with the nordie accent? Did Ulstermen settle in the mountains one time?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Zero Point

fatknacker wrote: »
    Yeah, what's with the nordie accent? Did Ulstermen settle in the mountains one time?
    No idea but I've always thought that the east Wicklow accent is some strange variant of the Donegal accent. Perhaps there is a link there somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,312 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Yeah that was a dark crossover episode

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Yeah that was a dark crossover episode
    Well holy cable ties!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,824 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Not sure if you aware but the mountains .. hills I should say that you are looking at are in Dublin county op. The Wicklow parts are over them out of view. So you'd be building in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,571 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

listermint wrote: »
    Not sure if you aware but the mountains .. hills I should say that you are looking at are in Dublin county op. The Wicklow parts are over them out of view. So you'd be building in Dublin.

Dublin mountains.

Wicklow hills.

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 41,034 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Wicklow as a concept for a county does not work.

Bray/Greystones/Blessington associate more with Dublin
    Blessington/Baltinglass associate more with Kildare
    Arklow associates more with Wexford
    Shilelagh/Tinahely/Carnew associate more with Carlow

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 41,034 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Sure the Wicklow way starts in Dublin. And Dublin owns a lot of the reservoirs in Wicklow.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Wicklow was the last county to be 'formed', in 1606, and it is a little odd alright. Perhaps it should have been assigned to neighbouring counties in the manner you have described.

Certainly there are major differences between East and West Wicklow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

Speedsie wrote: »
    Wicklow was the last county to be 'formed', in 1606, and it is a little odd alright. Perhaps it should have been assigned to neighbouring counties in the manner you have described.

Certainly there are major differences between East and West Wicklow.

Were there many formed in 1607?

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Vita nova

The Irish county structure was started after the Norman invasion and further refined by Henry VIII and other British monarchs. I don't know how much input they took from the locals at the time, probably only what suited them. We probably missed an opportunity to create larger, more viable and cohesive regions at the formation of the state but lazily adopted the current structure. I think some of the more sparsely populated and peripheral counties could benefit from voluntarily merging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

TallGlass wrote: »
    Is Wicka not part of the big D now?

Schmokey D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Were there many formed in 1607?

Sorry, I phrased that badly. Wicklow was the final county to be defined, this happened in 1606.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭nowaynever

Speedsie wrote: »
    Sorry, I phrased that badly. Wicklow was the final county to be defined, this happened in 1606.

Arklow used to be in County Carlow. Yes that’s right, Carlow had a coastline!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,214 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

That would have been a good episode in fairness. An oul' cameo appearance of Larry rolling in the hay with Biddy

Edit Just noticed Demonic Skull said more or less the same thing at bottom of first page

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

I played a football match years ago in a place called Donard, Co.Wicklow, and it was honestly like something out of a horror movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Dublin mountains.

Wicklow hills.

:cool:

the highest peak in leinster is lugnaquilla in wicklow. higher than any of the dublin hills

• Registered Users Posts: 23,571 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The-Story-Behind-Greenland-And-Iceland-Travel-Destination-Names.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

There are two Wicklows the locals and the newcomer's something like 40% of the population of Wicklow were not born in Wicklow. A not insignificant amount of this is the desire to live an urban lifestyle in a rural area.

As it gets easier to commute from places like Aughrim this lifestyle will spread further and further out.

Advertisement