Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HL Maths 2018 discussion

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Thr000w

PatsyJ wrote: »
    Anyone?

Multiply both sides by (the denominator (bottom part of the fraction) that contains x). In this case, you multiply both sides by (x + 2) squared. Because it's squared, it has to be positive, so the inequality signs don't flip like they would if you multiplied by a negative number. You can't cross multiply, because you don't know if the denominator containing x is negative or not, and if it is then you'd have to flip the inequality sign.

Once you solve the ensuing quadratic, the answer is -9 ≤ x ≤ -2 - but the question tells us that x can't equal 2, as the denominator would then be zero and make the fraction undefined, so it's -9 ≤ x < 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭japester

PatsyJ wrote: »
    Anyone?

I would have looked at it this way:

(2x-3)/(x+2) >= 3

so either

1. 2x-3 >= 3(x+2), but this is possible only provided both (2x-3) and (x+2) are simultaneously >=0

or

2. 2x-3 <= 3(x+2), but this is possible only provided both (2x-3) and (x+2) are simultaneously <=0

Examining possibility 1 further and solving the inequality will lead to x <= -9
    However (2x-3) and (x+2) must also be simultaneously >= 0 in order for this possibility to work out. If (2x-3) >=0 then x >= 3/2 and if (x+2) >=0 then x >= -2. In order for x to be both >= 3/2 and x >= -2 simultaneously, the only possibility is that x >= 3/2. However we already found that the inequality solution is that x<= -9 and as there is no overlap between the sets x >= 3/2 and x<= -9 then there are no possible solutions for x in this case.

Examining possibility 2 further and solving the inequality will lead to x >= -9
    However (2x-3) and (x+2) must also be simultaneously <= 0 in order for this possibility to work out. If (2x-3) <=0 then x <= 3/2 and if (x+2) <=0 then x <= -2. In order for x to be both <= 3/2 and x <= -2 simultaneously, the only possibility is that x <= -2. However we already found that the inequality solution is that x>= -9 and as there is overlap between these sets then there we have possible solutions for x in this case. So the possible solution set is -9 <= x <= -2 but the question tells us x cannot be -2 (as division by zero would ensue in this case) and finally we have the possible solution set as -9 <= x < -2

hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭jeonahr

Thr000w wrote: »
    Multiply both sides by (the denominator (bottom part of the fraction) that contains x). In this case, you multiply both sides by (x + 2) squared. Because it's squared, it has to be positive, so the inequality signs don't flip like they would if you multiplied by a negative number. You can't cross multiply, because you don't know if the denominator containing x is negative or not, and if it is then you'd have to flip the inequality sign.

Once you solve the ensuing quadratic, the answer is -9 ≤ x ≤ -2 - but the question tells us that x can't equal 2, as the denominator would then be zero and make the fraction undefined, so it's -9 ≤ x < 2.

I was just doing the papers there (it's been assigned to my 5th year class, now 6th year :rolleyes: ) and I totally missed the fact that x can't be equal to 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Boomer18

Can anybody please tell me what constitutes a pass in Foundation Maths with the new marking scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭ger664

Q5 Paper 2
    (a)
    sub in (-2,1) into 2x+3y+1=0 and verify its true
    (b)
    Line AB is perpendicular. Slope m = -2/3 slope AB = 3/2
    Equ of AB 3x-2y+8 = 0
    Point B got from sim equ with n 2x+3y-51 = 0 B = (6,13)
    (c)
    Radius ratio is 1:3 so is the Diameter thus the |AB| = Radius of small cicle * 8
    Length AB = 4sqrt13 radius = sqrt13/2
    Center lies on the point thats splits the line AB into a ratio of 1:7
    center = (-1,5/2)
    Equation of circle (x+1)^2 + (y-5/2)^2 = 13/4
    Expanded out to x^2 + y^2 +2x -5y + 4 =0

Graph of Question

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭japester

ger664 wrote: »
    Q5 Paper 2
    (a)
    sub in (-2,1) into 2x+3y+1=0 and verify its true
    (b)
    Line AB is perpendicular. Slope m = -2/3 slope AB = 3/2
    Equ of AB 3x-2y+8 = 0
    Point B got from sim equ with n 2x+3y-51 = 0 B = (6,13)
    (c)
    Radius ratio is 1:3 so is the Diameter thus the |AB| = Radius of small cicle * 8
    Length AB = 4sqrt13 radius = sqrt13/2
    Center lies on the point thats splits the line AB into a ratio of 1:7
    center = (-1,5/2)
    Equation of circle (x+1)^2 + (y-5/2)^2 = 13/4
    Expanded out to x^2 + y^2 +2x -5y + 4 =0

Graph of Question

Many thanks for that Ger, I can confirm I got the same results as you for it :)

Advertisement