Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HL Maths 2018 discussion

Options
  • 07-06-2018 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Quick question...
    Seeing as p2 came up on p1 English... Is there any possibility that any paper 2 maths such as stats, theorems or trigonometry could come up on p1 tomorrow or are they definitely 2 separate papers?
    Already terrified of failing HL never mind having to study both papers tonight...?? :confused:
    Is this right for p1 or am I forgetting anything;
    Algebra
    Functions
    Logs
    Complex Numbers
    Induction
    Differentiation
    Calculus
    Integration
    Sequences & Series
    Financial Maths

Also, just in case I really freak out tomorrow, is the ordinary course p1 the same as hl???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭UnknownEntity

Have you even looked at the 2017 paper? Trig came up in Q9 Paper 1

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Kbvdpo

So can anything come up on either paper or is trig a part of P1?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Celtron

That was a functions question with trig, they're allowed do that considering it is a function. Other than that no, like stats and probability can't come up on paper .

Celtron wrote: »
    That was a functions question with trig, they're allowed do that considering it is a function. Other than that no, like stats and probability can't come up on paper .

Hopefully not as I’m stressed enough as is 😬 the thought of failing terrifies me but hopefully all will be fine and they don’t for some reason put P2 on 1 like in English

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

AFAIK, there's nothing on the syllabus restricting what they can ask on each paper. It's been several years since I last read the syllabus though so don't quote me on that.

I'd check the syllabus.

• Advertisement

This is an extract of a letter from the SEC to the Management authorities of Secondary Schools about the leaving cert maths course:
    Paper 1 will generally test the material in Strand 3, Strand 4, and Strand 5 of the new syllabus. There will
    be two sections on the paper, as follows:
    o Section A: Concepts and Skills 150 marks
    o Section B: Contexts and Applications 150 marks

Paper 2 will generally test the material in Strand 1 and Strand 2 of the new syllabus, along with material
    from Section 3.4 in Strand 3: Length, Area and Volume. There will be two sections on the paper, as follows:
    o Section A: Concepts and Skills 150 marks
    o Section B: Contexts and Applications 150 marks
    Note: Any synthetic geometry examined on the paper will be based on the geometry set out in the
    syllabus. There will no longer be a question with internal choice on this topic.
    Note: Some additional material (deferred since 2011) will be examinable in 2015 and subsequent years.
    Sample questions based on this material, at both Higher Level and Ordinary Level, have been prepared, and
    ten copies are enclosed.
    Both Paper 1 and Paper 2 will be presented as a combined question-and-answer booklet.

Hope that is of use, and anyways if you look at the Active Maths Books by Oliver Murphy who is heavily involved in making the papers, book one covers all topics in paper 1, book 2 covers all topics in paper 2, and it even says this on the cover of the book

Turns out it was only calculus & sequences/series anyway... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

On the A2019 question, the sequence repeats itself every 6 terms. So A7=A1, A8=A2 etc.

Therefore, you can subtract as many 6's from the term number to find the correct answer. A2019 = A2013 = A2007 = ... = A3 = -2. They'll want that answer rather than just A2019 = A2018 - A2017 (which is true and will likely get partial credit).

So A2019 = -2.

It involves modular arithmetic which isn't really on the course. Some amount of sequences and series!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Celtron wrote: »
    Oliver Murphy who is heavily involved in making the papers,

Are you sure? Did he say that, or do people just think it?
    There is a HUGE confidentiality clause in SEC contracts, for good reason.

**edit...just realised it may have been a typo of 'marking' the papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Drumm...

On the A2019 question, the sequence repeats itself every 6 terms. So A7=A1, A8=A2 etc.

Therefore, you can subtract as many 6's from the term number to find the correct answer. A2019 = A2013 = A2007 = ... = A3 = -2. They'll want that answer rather than just A2019 = A2018 - A2017 (which is true and will likely get partial credit).

So A2019 = -2.

It involves modular arithmetic which isn't really on the course. Some amount of sequences and series!

I got it as a trig function with
    TN= 4cos((n-1) π/3)
    Answer still works to be -2

What did anyone get for the last question or max of h(x)?

• Advertisement

Ya sorry it was. My applied maths teacher told us he met him few years ago and that he's involved with setting that exam and has some input on the regular maths exam as well

Max value via differentiation

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭lundrum

Drumm... wrote: »
    I got it as a trig function with
    TN= 4cos((n-1) π/3)
    Answer still works to be -2

What did anyone get for the last question or max of h(x)?

I think I got the max to be 17, what did you get?

lundrum wrote: »
    I think I got the max to be 17, what did you get?

Yeah I got 17 too but wasn't too sure. Thanks 👌

17 here too

Drumm... wrote: »
    Yeah I got 17 too but wasn't too sure. Thanks ��
    17 here too

Yeet

What did you get for the angle of the tangent of cos2x? I got 60 degrees

Yeet

What did you get for the angle of the tangent of cos2x? I got 60 degrees

It was -60 I think

I said 60° but the thing that confused me is what they meant by the "positive sense of the x-axis". Does that mean that the answer is actually 120°??

I said 60° but the thing that confused me is what they meant by the "positive sense of the x-axis". Does that mean that the answer is actually 120°??

I drew it out and so I think the fact that tan of the angle was negative is actually irrelevant. The tangent makes like a right angled triangle with the x and y axis and the angle is the one between the x axis and the line

• Registered Users Posts: 32 greenwhale

Anyone know what were the right answers for the very last part of 9, the bit about commenting on the area and perimeter as n tends to infinity?

• Advertisement

greenwhale wrote: »
    Anyone know what were the right answers for the very last part of 9, the bit about commenting on the area and perimeter as n tends to infinity?

I'm like 80% sure the area was 0 and the perimeter was infinite

greenwhale wrote:

I think for the area you had to say it's tending towards 0 and for the perimeter, it's increasing forever.

How many marks would the last part of 9 be worth? I only got one correct out of the 2

How many marks would the last part of 9 be worth? I only got one correct out of the 2

Me too. I'd guess if you got 1 of the 2 you'd probably get like 3/5 or so. Very few people I know got that far at all

I'm like 80% sure the area was 0 and the perimeter was infinite

So then would the answer for the earlier part where you had to find what fraction of original triangle would remain be equal to 0 aswell? Or am I confusing two different things sorry

greenwhale wrote:
    so then would the answer for the earlier part where you had to find what fraction of original triangle would remain be equal to 0 aswell? Or am i confusing two different things sorry

Yep that's right. Did you get it?

Yep that's right. Did you get it?

Yeah ended up with that but i though I made a mistake somewhere because they mentioned a fraction

What did you guys get for Q9ci?

And 9dii

• Advertisement

And 9dii

I got h = 17 for c (i) and for d(ii) I got like 430000 or something like that

Advertisement