Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transgender man wants to be named as father...

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

Hey everybody, I’m a bit fcuked up in the head so I want everybody to challenge the meaning of words mmmkay thanks bye.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    These attempts at historical and biological revisionism are getting more extreme and bizzaire by the week.

As I've said before.. You are born male or female. That's it. You can later feel/believe that you were born as the wrong one and decide to live as the other and that's fine. If you choose to take surgical steps to reinforce the change that's also fine. If you ask people to treat you as your assumed gender and call you by a preferred name that again is perfectly fine.

But it doesn't change the reality that you were born as something else, nor does it mean that you have the right to be offended if others don't always recognise or celebrate your decisions, and nor does it mean that you are now biologically and otherwise indistinguishable from a (for want of a better term) "original" man/woman.

And in this case, this individual should be spending more time thinking about the welfare of their child rather than their personal crusade. Male or female, any parent should be putting their child's interests first.

But at one point all the things you’ve listed as fine were not fine. Now they are (with you at least).

Your line seems arbitrarily drawn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭FFred

IF born_with_mickey = TRUE THEN
    Gender = ‘male’
    ELSE
    Gender = ‘female’
    END

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

I remember tekken 2.i think yoshimito had unknown gender.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Can transgender men exercise patriarchy over transgender women?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭SnazzyPig

Can transgender men exercise patriarchy over transgender women?

Yes, if they apply to the appropriate certifying body.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

FFred wrote: »
    Gender = ‘male’
    ELSE
    Gender = ‘female’
    END

Up to 1.7% of people wouldn't fit into your one-course-wonder code

one example : ais : xy kid, female phenotype, robust breast development on schedule because aromatisation

about 39 more

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I remember tekken 2.i think yoshimito had unknown gender.

Only because he sliced his own d!ck off in training.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

FFred wrote: »
    Gender = ‘male’
    ELSE
    Gender = ‘female’
    END

100% agree

now I believe that they can call themselves whatever they like but nobody nor the law should be obliged to accommodate their make believe

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Brother is due to take the Garda physical in 2 weeks

He's worried about his press up ability.

I have advised him to declare as a woman. They do their pressups from their knees and also have a lesser situp standard.

What can they say to him? We'll sue the for discrimination if they don't comply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,927 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I'm all for LGBT rights but a man can't give birth. It's a scientific fact. For a birth certificate to say otherwise is ridiculous.

Doesn't seem to be much thought about the child or the child's rights in this story imo

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭SSr0

All this gender nonsense stems from people not being told the simple word - "No", enough growing up.

I'm all for kids having wild imaginations, but there comes a point when you have to put on your big boy/woman pants and get on with life using the cards you were dealt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    They would have to be gender neutral. Gestator and impregnator? Birthing person and fertilising person maybe? That could apply to everyone without offense to the tiny minority of trans gender parents I guess.

You think that would work? It would last a day before someone who comes along with "I identify as a gestator despite my testicles and lack of womb"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

SSr0 wrote: »
    All this gender nonsense stems from people not being told the simple word - "No", enough growing up.

I'm all for kids having wild imaginations, but there comes a point when you have to put on your big boy/woman pants and get on with life using the cards you were dealt.

I don't know if I'd really put it like that.

I'll quite happily accept the fact there is something as gender dysphoria.

But...I do wonder in how many cases what's really needed is a good psychological intervention and I'd be shocked if we won't see an increase in people looking to reverse their gender reassignment in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

If me aunt had balls she'd be me uncle. True or false?

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭farmerwifelet

Considering the appalling hurt and horror at the false birth cert/illegal adoption scandal here how can people even consider this for a moment? I can understand gender dysmorphia but this crosses the line into selfish and a lie. No way should it get legal standing. And no mention of how the bio father feels about being written out of their child's life. Grandstanding with no concern for the child involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

You'd wonder why someone who indentifies as a man would do the extremely female thing of getting pregnant and giving birth to a child. Isn't part of being male accepting that you cannot get pregnant?

Also, what about the effects of cross sex hormones on the child during pregnancy? It's weird how every choice a pregnant woman makes is scrutinised and judged but no one says anything about a potentially dangerous cocktail of drugs used to validate their identity. I hope that they were stopped until the baby was born.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

I think I can understand in the light of maturity that someone who is born male has a female psychology or vice-versa, since I am sure we have all encountered them at some time in our lives. A girl might be considered a "tomboy" because she is interested in aggressive sports, is highly competitive, and shuns traditional childhood female games like "mothers and fathers". She might grow to puberty and have no interest in a relationship with a man, and have no desire whatever to become pregnant and give birth. She might find her own gender the more attractive. Equally, a child born as a male might be of a sensitive nature, capable of love, seeing himself much more as a girl than a boy, and attracted to a man who can understand his predicament. This is not uncommon in the animal kingdom, but it is there the animal equivalent of homosexuality.

So then, if a male who's mind tells him he is a woman meets another male who can accept her(?) and she is and offer love and security, then who has the right to question? Forget about the teachings of two-thousand year old scriptures that never met the nuances of gender in the first place and relied upon dogma instead. Equally, someone who is born a girl while her mind tells her she is a boy; if she finds someone of the same birth gender but who can be the female to her male and offer love and security then who is society to criticise that? We have moved on from the days when being suspected of homosexuality would result in incarceration and, possibly, excommunication.

But these considerations are for the current generation; the male-male or the female-female relationships. But what happens if the couple want children? Now we move into a whole new ball game. What are sex-change surgeries? How does someone who was born female become male under surgery? Are her Fallopian tubes, her whomb, her uterus, her vagina somehow removed and a penis and testicles, a prostrate gland, somehow implanted? What about such simple things as the fact that the tube from her bladder is only an inch or so from the overboard discharge, when for a man it is several inches long? And that excludes such matters as mammary glands in the chest.Or the man who thinks that he is a woman: How does he acquire a vagina, uterus, Fallopian tubes, mammary glands? Cut off a couple of bits for cosmetic reasons and leave it at that with a strong dose of Estrogen?

I can grasp how a same-sex marriage between two people born female but with one thinking herself (himself) as being male could produce a child given donor sperm from another male, but neither are capable of that by themselves. Even more difficult for a relationship of two born male when one thinks himself (herself) as female. The "female" has no means to reproduce.

So then, in the first case, who is the father and does it matter? In the second case there can be no father. In the first a natural birth perhaps, but in the latter adoption can be the only option and in both cases the "male" partner can adopt the role of the father. All very convenient for all parties, but children grow up and then what? How to answer the question at puberty "Who really was my father?" or; "I thought of you as my Mammy all these years but you are not my mammy. You didn't give birth to me did you?"

I don't have any answers to my own questions, so all that I can do is to wish the people and the children in such situations all of the comfort and guidance of their gods because all of the changes in man-made laws will never resolve the issues that they must face.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

ART6 wrote: »
    I think I can understand in the light of maturity that someone who is born male has a female psychology or vice-versa, since I am sure we have all encountered them at some time in our lives. A girl might be considered a "tomboy" because she is interested in aggressive sports, is highly competitive, and shuns traditional childhood female games like "mothers and fathers". She might grow to puberty and have no interest in a relationship with a man, and have no desire whatever to become pregnant and give birth. She might find her own gender the more attractive. Equally, a child born as a male might be of a sensitive nature, capable of love, seeing himself much more as a girl than a boy, and attracted to a man who can understand his predicament. This is not uncommon in the animal kingdom, but it is there the animal equivalent of homosexuality.

So just because a person doesnt conform to gender stereotypes then they are in fact the opposite sex? A woman can't possibly like aggressive sports, nope must be a man if she does. Why are these regressive ideas suddenly considered progressive?

Advertisement