Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Accident no insurance

Options
2»

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,909 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I was recently a witness in a road traffic related court case and it was nearly 2 years between the offence and the eventual hearing. It was put back a couple of times but I think the hearing was originally about a year after the event. I'd imagine it would depend on the court you're in and how busy it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

There is no defined limit for a case being brought to court - other than as already said the garda has to apply to have any summonses issued within 6 months of the offence date.

Its really down to the time it takes to prepare the Garda file, how long the superintendent keeps it in his system and then once its returned to the Garda how efficient he/she is at getting the summonses issued, printed and served.

The delay can't be too long however so usually all these cases are wrapped up from the Garda side within 6/7 months. Justice delayed is justice denied etc.

Afterwards you can expect a separate civil case for damages/injuries (assuming the injured person brings one).

Its going to be a pain for a while but I would not be as doom filled as some of your other advisers on this thread. These things happen and when they are sorted life goes on - your's will too so don't get yourself too depressed about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

Its going to be a pain for a while but I would not be as doom filled as some of your other advisers on this thread. These things happen and when they are sorted life goes on - your's will too so don't get yourself too depressed about it.

Driving without insurance does not just happen.
    It's a choice that the OP made by getting into and driving a car while not having insurance.

Advertisement