Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have some forums become incredibly PC and any dissent is instantly shut down?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Just don't take the name of the repair agent in vain about the quality of or delay in repairing your gadget in Consumer Issues.

You can do this in Talk to..... it also helps your post history needs to be pretty clean and you haven't been in boards is prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Well i like macs good enough, but Windows 10 has definitely improved things in my view.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Fourier wrote: »
    Yeah, it's literally impossible that somebody might work in a university as academic staff, there's only more than 8,000 of them in the country, far too few for one to have registered on boards.

684516.jpg?b64lines=IFdIWSBXT1VMRCBBIE1BTiBXSE9TRQogcG9zdCBTQVlTICJhcyBhbiBhY2FkZW1pYyIgClNQRU5EIEFMTCBPRiBISVMgVElNRSBwb3N0aW5nIAogb24gYWZ0ZXIgaG91cnMgPw==

Only joking obviously :P
    The Irish Simpsons Fans Facebook forum is the most ironic echo chamber I’ve seen. It is ironic in that it claims to be a Simpsons Fans forum yet the amount of people that engage in mass bullying at the slightest meme they don’t agree with make it completely worthless to use anymore.

I agree it's become a total echo chamber, but not sure they describe themselves as a forum, it was originally mostly just Gerry Adams and IRA memes, maybe some people got the wrong impression that it was an open forum for Irish people

• Registered Users Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Yeah, it's literally impossible that somebody might work in a university as academic staff, there's only more than 8,000 of them in the country, far too few for one to have registered on boards.

You would say that Mr. Fourier. Typical liberal lefty frenchy :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Mod: Thread closed due to dissent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Is being an academic a proper job?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod: Thread closed due to dissent

Lol i get jokes :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Do you find "academic" women are not attractive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

I used to do that with FHM, Nuts and Zoo back in the day but it wouldn't be my chin I'd be stroking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

You quoted my post but didn't make an applicable reply.
    Obviously not one of the 8000 you mentioned.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I think a lot of people out there think that being an academic is not a "proper" job, that we are all essentually (im)mature students living in our collegiate ivory towers, divorced from the real world.:rolleyes: Well, we probably are in a way but someone has to do the educating... :D

Believe it or not, some of us do actually work pretty hard to earn a living. Doing several lectures a day, marking assignments, supervising dissertations, doing research and trying to get it published, dealing with overcrowded classes, budget limitations, egotistical departmental heads who devolve everything to more junior staff and then take the credit and the great fun of marking 300 to 400 exam scripts in the space of a week, many of which are barely legible and some that could have been better written by an 11 year old is a bit of a drag.

But I digress - internet message boards are not often great vehicles of proper debate. A few very thoughtful and articulate posters willing to hear the opposing argument and use a bit of evidence to argue their points but all too many who just want to rant about whoever they despise (welfare scroungers, single mothers, immigrants, feminists, etc etc to deflect from their own major insecurities and inadequacies). All based on anecdotes and zero evidence. Overzealous mods or webmasters who treat the fora as their own little fiefdoms where they can wield their imagined "power."

And those are the mainstream web forums. :eek: Go to quite a few out there and its just a total wankfest of bitterness, mud slinging and generally very unbalanced and unhinged people who just want to see the world burn. :(

Best avoided if you want to retain your mental health.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

JupiterKid wrote: »
    doing research and trying to get it published,

:confused:

Just hit File and Print or CTRL+P if you feel time is not on your side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Erm... you know practically nothing about me.:rolleyes: I lecture and research and hold 15 peer reviewed publications.

So you're a bang average 4th year PhD candidate?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,713 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

So you're a bang average 4th year PhD candidate?

You'll notice he didn't say what those reviews actually amounted to...

*Strokes chin*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

padd b1975 wrote: »
    You'll notice he didn't say what those reviews actually amounted to...

*Strokes chin*

I wonder what his/her research impact is like. 15 publications, how many are in reputable journals? How many are in predatory journals? How many are conference presentations? What field?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,713 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I wonder what his/her research impact is like. 15 publications, how many are in reputable journals? How many are in predatory journals? How many are conference presentations? What field?

In fairness it's possible he is some sort of academic.
    He certainly ticks the box for zero sense of humour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Another observation of mine is within the last 2 months, the increasingly narky fashion which Thread Starters reply to dissent within their own threads. Stupid and narky.

Advertisement