Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mansfield trial collapses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Utter cluster fuk from the word go. Apparently, this all started with a CAB raid, RE his late fathers business dealings, and it was CAB officers that discovered the loaded.22 behind the picture..Do CAB officers have authority to handle firearms or take them as evidence??

Yes, he was a dope to have that much ammo unaccounted for in the house and being 12 times over the limit too. But if AGS cant handle the evidence properly, someone should have counted the rounds as evidence there and then for a start, and cant produce crucial evidence, well then...

Or it became such a shambles of a case that it was maybe decided to just fuk up the evidence to collapse the trial by sloppy procedures,as it had proceeded too far to be withdrawn as a criminal case without too many questions being asked?:confused:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Read about it in the paper today and from the article it said that because the Gardaí/DPP could not provide evidence to the Jury to show he was over his limit, the case was dismissed.

I don't get it myself. A scan of his license, a print out of his PULSE details would have done this so if they wanted to nail him this would have been a pretty important thing to have. Be the same as going into a murder trial and saying you forgot to bring the bloody knife.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Very strange. I would have thought it was a relatively simple thing to prove, i.e. read the feckin license or the computer screen.

Gardai saying 'I think' in court also isn't very good. Either they know or they don't know how many rounds he is entitled to.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭gooseygander

More evidence that the law is a total ass in this country and judges make crazy decisions. Ffs he had over 1200 bullets. There is no firearm license in existence that entitles any single person to have that many rounds, period. So whether his firearm license stipulated 200,300 or even 400 he certainly should not have had 1200. Its a point that could have been clarified in 5 mins without directing the jury to find not guilty, total joke in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Reading the judges reasons for throwing it out, I have to say I find myself in agreement with him. As a firearms owner, I'd hate to find myself in court potentially being convicted on the word of a garda with no supporting evidence. The AGS (or rather certain members of the force) are openly hostile towards civilian firearms owners and would love it if judges just took their word for it that so and so needed to have his guns taken off him because in my opinion he's got too many rounds etc.

Having said that, what sort of incompetence leads to a case which has been rumbling on for years now being thrown out because no one in the AGS or DPP bothered to photocopy the back of the license where the pertinent info was printed???? How much taxpayers money was wasted on this case? Will anyone be held accountable? Of course not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

More evidence that the law is a total ass in this country and judges make crazy decisions. Ffs he had over 1200 bullets. There is no firearm license in existence that entitles any single person to have that many rounds, period. So whether his firearm license stipulated 200,300 or even 400 he certainly should not have had 1200. Its a point that could have been clarified in 5 mins without directing the jury to find not guilty, total joke in my opinion.

A friend of mine has 5000 rounds on his .22. I have 1000 on mine. I understand there are several lads in my club who have 5000 on theirs.

Got 1K worth on mine.;)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭clivej

Lad in our club has 9,000 .22 on one and 1,000 on the other. Also some Benchrest shooters have unlimited amount stated.

There is no firearm license in existence that entitles any single person to have that many rounds, period.

I have 5000 rounds on one of my licenses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭gunny123

Having said that, what sort of incompetence leads to a case which has been rumbling on for years now being thrown out because no one in the AGS or DPP bothered to photocopy the back of the license where the pertinent info was printed???? How much taxpayers money was wasted on this case? Will anyone be held accountable? Of course not.

I wonder was the court case itself a punishment ? You know "we know we won't get a conviction, but we can have the unpleasant prospect of a court case hanging over you for a few years".

• Advertisement

I can see AGS now:
    Gravelly wrote: »
    A friend of mine has 5000 rounds on his .22. I have 1000 on mine. I understand there are several lads in my club who have 5000 on theirs.
    Cut his to 100
    Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Got 1K worth on mine.;)
    Cut his to 100
    clivej wrote: »
    Lad in our club has 9,000 .22 on one and 1,000 on the other. Also some Benchrest shooters have unlimited amount stated.
    Cut these to 100
    BattleCorp wrote: »
    I have 5000 rounds on one of my licenses.
    Cut this to 100.

:D
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭scwazrh

clivej wrote: »

How is it possible to have 9000 rounds on a single license?The commissioners guidelines is 750-1000 for target shooting. What purpose would be suitable to allow 9 times the average ?

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

Buying a batch of ammo at a time for consistency. From what i hear.

What does the ammo limit achieve anyway ? Its another law carried over from the civil war era, that does not actually do anything.

scwazrh wrote: »
    How is it possible to have 9000 rounds on a single license?The commissioners guidelines is 750-1000 for target shooting. What purpose would be suitable to allow 9 times the average ?
    gunny123 wrote: »
    What does the ammo limit achieve anyway ? Its another law carried over from the civil war era, that does not actually do anything.
    Quoting both these as my response covers both.

There are no ammo limits, in law. There is no Act, SI, directive, etc. that says you cannot have more than "X" amount of ammo.

The commissioner's guidelines are just that, guidelines. They are what the Commissioner considers to be averages for each given discipline. However they can be less of more if you can show good reason.

Not to highlight myself incase my joke above comes through, but i had:

3 x .22lr rifle with 1,500 on each
    2 x 308 rifles with 1,000 on one and 2,000 on the other
    2 x shotguns with 2,000 on both

I gave clear and precise reasons as to why i needed that amount attaching supporting documentation. We listed some of them in this post (thanks to Hexosan)

Without going too much off topic there are a number of things we in the shooting community take as being law when there is no law for it. Of the top of my head things like:
    • Ammo allowance - You can have as much as you can prove you need.
    • Firearms - There is no limit to the amount of or the frequency with which you apply for them.
    • Deer hunting - There is no 100 acre minimum in any firearm or Wildlife Act that the NPWS say is a legal requirement.

We have convinced ourselves through not knowing or being told so by someone classed as expert or in a position of power that these such restraints are legally in place when in fact they're not.

Cass wrote: »

There are no ammo limits, in law. There is no Act, SI, directive, etc. that says you cannot have more than "X" amount of ammo.

The commissioner's guidelines are just that, guidelines. They are what the Commissioner considers to be averages for each given discipline. However they can be less of more if you can show good reason.

I gave clear and precise reasons as to why i needed that amount attaching supporting documentation. We listed some of them in this post (thanks to Hexosan)

Without going too much off topic there are a number of things we in the shooting community take as being law when there is no law for it. Of the top of my head things like:
    • Firearms - There is no limit to the amount of or the frequency with which you apply for them.
    • Deer hunting - There is no 100 acre minimum in any firearm or Wildlife Act that the NPWS say is a legal requirement.

We have convinced ourselves through not knowing or being told so by someone classed as expert or in a position of power that these such restraints are legally in place when in fact they're not.

So if ammo limits aren't written in law, what was the basis for this prosecution?

*runs off to buy pallets of ammo*

BattleCorp wrote: »
    So if ammo limits aren't written in law, what was the basis for this prosecution?
    Don't confuse legal restrictions with conditions.

There are no restrictions in law, but there are conditions the Super/Chief Super can place on your license and the applicant can agree to with the paying of the license fee. One of those is an ammo allowance. You apply for say 1,000, get it or close to it, and the Super grants the license with that amount. You buy 1,001 and you are in breach of THAT conditions of your license.

Same with other conditions. A lad i know can only fire his semi auto outside the country (he applied for international comps). The law doesn't apply such a restriction, but the Chief Super made it a condition of his license which the applicant agreed to by paying the license fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

Grizzly 45 wrote:
    Utter cluster fuk from the word go. Apparently, this all started with a CAB raid, RE his late fathers business dealings, and it was CAB officers that discovered the loaded.22 behind the picture..Do CAB officers have authority to handle firearms or take them as evidence??

What a stupid question

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

Could the expert please enlighten the uneducated then ?
    I for one would like to know.

• Advertisement

I can see AGS now:

Cut his to 100
    :D

Or "well if you would like a sideways promotion to the outer Skelligs after the Star wars season is over...Leave well enough alone in Grizzlies case. As I doubt the ACC and current CS would like to be back in Limerick in the witness box for another hour under cross-examination.And then undertaking a DC tour of Ireland in other such cases.;)

crusier wrote: »
    What a stupid question

Why?? Care to elaborate??

Don't confuse legal restrictions with conditions.

Same with other conditions. A lad i know can only fire his semi-auto outside the country (he applied for international comps). The law doesn't apply such a restriction, but the Chief Super made it a condition of his license which the applicant agreed to by paying the license fee.

Slightly OT
    If he wanted to, he could also get that reviewed as a vexatious condition, in so much as there are now local competitions for SA's as well and he is hampered from partaking in those by this condition. Conditions cant be so extreme either to make life difficult for the holder either.[IE security on the level of a moat with sharks with head-mounted lazers]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Heard a story a while back about where the 100 round limit that used to be the norm came from. Apparently 100 rounds was what the well heeled game shooter in time gone by would bring along on a days driven shoot - it was what fitted into his natty leather ammo bag that his stuffer would carry for him. And so the PTB adopted it as the standard ammo limit. Sounds a bizarre enough reason to actually be true;)

Heard a story a while back about where the 100 round limit that used to be the norm came from. Apparently 100 rounds was what the well heeled game shooter in time gone by would bring along on a days driven shoot - it was what fitted into his natty leather ammo bag that his stuffer would carry for him. And so the PTB adopted it as the standard ammo limit. Sounds a bizarre enough reason to actually be true;)

When I applied for my first shotgun I put down that I wanted 1,000 rounds. I was granted 750. For my second shotgun, I put down that I wanted 750 rounds (assuming that this was the number of rounds they liked) and was granted 1,000......

Apprently the EU norm for countries that have ammo limits is 500 per gun.

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Apprently the EU norm for countries that have ammo limits is 500 per gun.

If thats the case, we aren't doing too badly.

gunny123 wrote: »
    If thats the case, we aren't doing too badly.

Or a lot worse than those that have no ammo limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I had a limit of 100 on my shotgun cert, going back 30 years to my pre leaving cert days.
    Asked for it to be upped last year, cause I started a bit if clay shooting.

Asked for 750.

Garda who deals with such things rang me to quiz me. Told them the reason.
    "So you shoot clays at a club then?"
    Yes, says I.

"Right so, photo your club membership card and leave it in the station addressed to me, and I will consider it"

Before I got leaving it in, a new licence arrived in the post with a 600 cartridge limit.

It'd be hard to know how their head works sometimes.

• Advertisement

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    I had a limit of 100 on my shotgun cert, going back 30 years to my pre leaving cert days.
    Asked for it to be upped last year, cause I started a bit if clay shooting.

Asked for 750.

Garda who deals with such things rang me to quiz me. Told them the reason.
    "So you shoot clays at a club then?"
    Yes, says I.

"Right so, photo your club membership card and leave it in the station addressed to me, and I will consider it"

Before I got leaving it in, a new licence arrived in the post with a 600 cartridge limit.

It'd be hard to know how their head works sometimes.

The guard said that he himself would consider it? Strange seeing as it isn't the Guard who issues the licence. He was on a bit of a power trip methinks.

Advertisement