Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland v Waltzing Matilda, test 1 build up thread.

Options

Comments

Positives.

We could easily be 15-3 down (we robbed 3 points from them, and the Stockdale tackle was sensational).

We've made progress with the ball, but haven't quite got it away under pressure 2/3 times where a ball to hand would have been a score.

Aus have started like a train, and will really have wanted a bigger lead considering the bench strengths. Wonder how long they can push this hard for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

He looks out on his feet alright, not sure if it's a knock or just fatigue.

Aren't we not supposed to talk about him? :)

Bizarre performance from him though; mixing the sublime with basic errors...penalty conceded 10 seconds in and the fumble...brilliant defence...a knock on the head might explain it but don't remember him getting one.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭baas baa

wp_rathead wrote: »
    baas baa wrote: »
    Awful again from Henshaw. I'm starting to form an opinion that he's an outstanding provincial player but lacks a bit of nous at this level.

Nonsense
    Sounds like he having a defensive mare in 13 channel though

Was shown up to an extent last summer having started out as one of the favourites for a starting jersey. Had a poor grubber to touch earlier where the smart play was to keep it in. Ultra committed player but IMO lacks the extra awareness in attack that makes the difference in tight games like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Pack have been superb. McGrath and Herring playing every bit as well as the incumbents. Carbery good too

• Registered Users Posts: 17,335 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

More errors in the last 10 minutes there than in the entire 6 Nations campaign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

awec wrote: »
    I don't think any of our outside backs are having a great game to be honest. High profile errors from Henshaw and Kearney have been costly. This is probably Henshaw's worst 40 minutes in a green jersey.

The backrow is getting dominated. Struggling to deal with Pocock and Hooper.

I blame Mark Robson for calling them the "yummy" back 3.

Think our back row is doing absolutely fine, well in it.

That's a great result for Ireland at half time.

Australia have thrown EVERYTHING at us and we've soaked it up well. We were starting to impose our game on them a bit when one or two individual errors gave Australia the try.

This is exactly where we want to be with our bench to come on. We'll scrum them off the pitch from 60 minutes on.

Glad Sexton didn't start, I'd say he'd have been in trouble given the nature of some of those early exchanges.

This. Exactly this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Henshaw is very narrow, leaving earls/larmour acres of space to defend, not a problem if he closes it down

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Don't know how people think we are lucky to be only two behind. Our pack has been well on top. We've dominated territory.

Incredibly generous!

Henshaw is extremely shakey, need Ringrose there next week. Kearney mixing great with poor. Need those lads to tighten up in the 2nd half and we can get the lead back.

It's generous to suggest that Henshaw occupying the space that the ball is to be passed through caused the player to throw the pass badly?
    Right.
    Bridge93 wrote: »
    He's pretty clearly having a poor time defensively. He's made two huge mistakes that should've led to two tries but for Stockdale. Tactics or not he's been poor today

Its high variance. Undoubtedly.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭fitz

Australia have thrown EVERYTHING at us and we've soaked it up well. We were starting to impose our game on them a bit when one or two individual errors gave Australia the try.

This is exactly where we want to be with our bench to come on. We'll scrum them off the pitch from 60 minutes on.

Glad Sexton didn't start, I'd say he'd have been in trouble given the nature of some of those early exchanges.

Accurate.
    Henshaw looks rusty, Ringrose is our best option at 13 imo.

Rob Herring going very well considering it's a big step up for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭letowski

Ireland will be happy to go just 2 down at HT with the bench they have to come on. Interesting Carbury conceding every restart by kicking to Folau to keep him on the deck, as Australia like to use him as a high ball chaser when kicking back. I think the likes of Herring, J. Ryan and Carbury have played well overall.

Both J.Ryan's going well!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

It's generous to suggest that Henshaw occupying the space that the ball is to be passed through caused the player to throw the pass badly?
    Right.

Yes, absolutely. He's gotten lucky that they've not made the pass work considering he got massively caught out when Foley did exactly that.

He's having an extremely poor game with his reads, if you have the numbers then there's absolutely no need to leave the line unless you have a 2 or 3 man defensive overlap.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭Christy42

awec wrote: »
    I don't think any of our outside backs are having a great game to be honest. High profile errors from Henshaw and Kearney have been costly. This is probably Henshaw's worst 40 minutes in a green jersey.

The backrow is getting dominated. Struggling to deal with Pocock and Hooper.
    Stockdale has done well. A few lucky bounces and he has a try. He also had the incredible try saving tackle.

Said this already, but I'm reminded of Northampton v Leinster. Game of 2 halves.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Buer wrote: »
    Don't know how people think we are lucky to be only two behind. Our pack has been well on top. We've dominated territory.

Well Stockdale's heroics prevented an Aussie try.

Yes, absolutely. He's gotten lucky that they've not made the pass work considering he got massively caught out when Foley did exactly that.

He's having an extremely poor game with his reads, if you have the numbers then there's absolutely no need to leave the line unless you have a 2 or 3 man defensive overlap.

right

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Really hard to call this one right now, Ireland should have another gear in them but if they play another half at that level it won't be enough. Big chance for Larmour now if he's staying on. Henshaw just isn't one of our best two centres unfortunately, had a particularly poor half there obviously but looking at him over the longer term he just isn't as good a 12 as Aki or as good a 13 as Ringrose.

• Advertisement

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Nonsense
    Sounds like he having a defensive mare in 13 channel though

He's not. Its quite clearly a tactic that we're putting pressure on their second line.

It's high variance. He slipped one tackle which required Stockdale to save his blushes, and he didn't get enough of the man the second time and they scored directly from it.

He's forced two errors from them doing it though, and those turnovers should (but haven't yet) lead to good outcomes as they're in good spots for us.

Do you believe forcing 2 errors in attack is an acceptable return for giving up one try and very nearly giving up another?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

Your argument makes sense, but I wonder if its a little on the optimistic side. Aside from a good 10-15 minute period when we were slowly starting to impose our game, I thought we were sloppy. Compared to Australia our attack is slow and at times ponderous. Some terrible decision making on quite a few occasions in both attack and defence. In addition we have got a fair few fortunate decisions go our way, so we can expect that to even out in the second 40.

Like you, I am putting a lot of faith in our bench to pull us over the line here. In short I am hopeful as we are still in this despite being a long way off our best. But so far I am unimpressed.

Henshaw just isn't one of our best two centres unfortunately, had a particularly poor half there obviously but looking at him over the longer term he just isn't as good a 12 as Aki or as good a 13 as Ringrose.

No I disagree with that.
    He's had a dodgy 40 minutes.
    That doesn't erase everything he's done up to now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Elvisjuice

Rob Kearney thinks he is still in dubai

• Administrators Posts: 53,642 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

No try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭umop episdn

CJ Saviour!

Have they fluked a defensive save?! Think he's grounded it on a hip/leg on first watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,631 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I think that was superb defence from Folau, looked like he managed to get under it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,151 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Elvisjuice wrote: »
    Rob Kearney thinks he is still in dubai

I've heard things about a video going around or was that somewhere else lol

Great run from CJ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,631 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I think that was superb defence from Folau, looked like he managed to get under it.

DHP sorry.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement