Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should Dublin Football be split?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Nah - just be Dublin v Dublin every year in the final then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

keane2097 wrote: »
    Honestly I put that bit in solely to annoy you :D

Awwww... You!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,204 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Dublin received equal amount of development funding as the rest of Leinster if you include the 800k from the Leinster council on top of the sums received by the other counties.

https://www.google.ie/amp/www.the42.ie/gaa-dublin-funding-3217517-Feb2017/%3famp=1

Dublin has half the population of Leinster.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

it isn't rocket science. When the GAA was set up, it sought to divide up the country, it used RC parishes for clubs, as that organisation had complete coverage designed only a few decades before. For national competitions, it used existing counties. When the GAA was founded the population of Mayo wasn't that much less than Dublin, and many of those in Dublin were in the British administration etc. Now Dublin has 10 times Mayo's population. You can't just ignore this. Clubs are not set in stone and neither should counties.

The GAA will suffer if there is no competition in the All Ireland, it already is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

it isn't rocket science. When the GAA was set up, it sought to divide up the country, it used RC parishes for clubs, as that organisation had complete coverage designed only a few decades before. For national competitions, it used existing counties. When the GAA was founded the population of Mayo wasn't that much less than Dublin, and many of those in Dublin were in the British administration etc. Now Dublin has 10 times Mayo's population. You can't just ignore this. Clubs are not set in stone and neither should counties.

The GAA will suffer if there is no competition in the All Ireland, it already is.

A few good points there. Ireland of today is a very different beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Would Dublin north or south win?

1. Cluxton
    2. Daly
    3. McMahon
    4. Cooper
    5. McCarthy
    6. Small
    7. McCaffrey
    8. Fenton
    9. Flynn
    10. Howard
    11. Connolly
    12. Carthy
    13. Rock
    14. Andrews
    15. Costello/McHugh

1. A little help?
    2. Fitzsimons
    3. David Byrne
    4. O'Shea
    5. Lowndes
    6. O'Sullivan
    7. Scully
    8. MDMA
    9. O Conghaile
    10. KevMc
    11. KK
    12. O'Callaghan
    13. Basquel
    14. Brogan
    15. Mannion

I gave some of the orphans from the West to the south to even it up. A bit like Leinster propping up Munster in the rugby.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

corny wrote: »

1. Cluxton
    2. Daly
    3. McMahon
    4. Cooper
    5. McCarthy
    6. Small
    7. McCaffrey
    8. Fenton
    9. Flynn
    10. Howard
    11. Connolly
    12. Carthy
    13. Rock
    14. Andrews
    15. Costello/McHugh

1. A little help?
    2. Fitzsimons
    3. David Byrne
    4. O'Shea
    5. Lowndes
    6. O'Sullivan
    7. Scully
    8. MDMA
    9. O Conghaile
    10. KevMc
    11. KK
    12. O'Callaghan
    13. Basquel
    14. Brogan
    15. Mannion

I gave some of the orphans from the West to the south to even it up. A bit like Leinster propping up Munster in the rugby.;)

2 good teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

1. Cluxton
    2. Daly
    3. McMahon
    4. Cooper
    5. McCarthy
    6. Small
    7. McCaffrey
    8. Fenton
    9. Flynn
    10. Howard
    11. Connolly
    12. Carthy
    13. Rock
    14. Andrews
    15. Costello/McHugh

1. A little help?
    2. Fitzsimons
    3. David Byrne
    4. O'Shea
    5. Lowndes
    6. O'Sullivan
    7. Scully
    8. MDMA
    9. O Conghaile
    10. KevMc
    11. KK
    12. O'Callaghan
    13. Basquel
    14. Brogan
    15. Mannion

That's actually frightening strength and depth. Only about 4 names out of the 30 I don't recognise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Amprodude wrote: »
    2 good teams.

Yeah, need to split us in 3 i think.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭munster87

Who’s KK?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭TrueGael

jon1981 wrote: »
    A few good points there. Ireland of today is a very different beast.

But apparently we are the loonies for even mentioning this or the fact that the population is going to continue to grow at a rate of knots in Dublin
    the greater Dublin area has a population of nearly 2 million in a space of about 10,130 km2. In Ireland, 60 percent of the population live in urban areas and this is expected to reach 75 percent by 2050. The Irish population is also expected to grow by more than one million between now and 2050.

This is from the 2040 Report commissioned recently, its fair to say that most of the extra million will be hoovered towards Dublin, yet you are a loony if you declare one team having over 2 million people should field more than 1 team

People will say wait until then before splitting - by then it will be far far too late, the apathy has spread like Wildfire in Leinster (a competition that no team won 2 in a row from 1995-2005 and 6 different winners and no wonder the crowds were huge and interest from outside the province was very high as well) to now where players and fans in those counties have been disenfranchised and the competition lampooned by outsiders

The same will happen on a national scale - you'd have to be a fool to think given the resources and population for it not to happen. If people want Gaelic Football to be as relevant as Road Bowling in 2040 then we should just keep the Status Quo and not change anything, us 'loonies' will keep highlighting these blatant inequalities regardless how unpopular it is to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭munster87

Patww79 wrote: »
    Ciaran Kilkenny I think.

He’s a northsider I thought

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭dunnerc

TrueGael wrote: »
    Yawn thou shall not even hint at criticising the Almighty Juggernaut

Yawn we have absolutely no advantages over anybody else and if you even hint at an advantage you will be silenced Kim Jong Un style

Yawn how about we introduce a B championship so they won't get slaughtered by the Juggernaut and end up losing their best players to commiting to IC because of demoralizing humiliations in the Coliseum

Yawn from a weaker county but instead opt to support and worship the Big Beast instead and glory in their bought success

Yawn how about we merge weaker counties and to hell with their identities but silence if you dare split up our conglomerate behemoth

Yawn at all that gibberish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

Imo three would be the minimum, possibly four.

What I don't understand is how people can be opposed to it. This isn't about Dublin dominating, it's about strengthening the sport as a whole and more importantly, giving an outlet for players to play county football.

I am involved with a Dublin club, coaching in the academy, I look at the numbers we have, the youngsters coming in bedecked in their Dublin regalia (including my own kids), listen to them talk about how'll they'll play for Dublin some day and pity their childhood ignorance!!

With just one outlet for them, what chance realistically do they have? Yes, a few might make it, but how many won't ever get that chance, but could easily be the standard required for the majority of counties?

Surely, we should want to have as many top level players play as possible? I know there are options about playing for other counties, but that's just not the same, the GAA is built on the ethos of playing for your locality, you've got to give players in Dublin that option, just the same as players in the the rest of the county have.
    Admittedly it'd be a huge risk, which is why it won't happen, but why not start by splitting them at underage and see how that works out.

As I'm typing, it's crossed my mind that there may be about as much chance of playing rugby for Ireland as there is football for Dublin? (leaving myself open to ridicule I know).

A wholehearted yes from me anyway!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I think that Dublin should not be split, but that there is also a serious ****ing problem coming down the line and the GAA needs to take their collective heads out of the sand.

This isn't the glorious nineties any more, its childishly simplistic to think that good groups/teams just come and go and it will be somebody else's turn soon. There are serious inequalities between the very few teams playing these sports and they are only going to get more pronounced in the next 10/20 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

But apparently we are the loonies for even mentioning this or the fact that the population is going to continue to grow at a rate of knots in Dublin

This is from the 2040 Report commissioned recently, its fair to say that most of the extra million will be hoovered towards Dublin, yet you are a loony if you declare one team having over 2 million people should field more than 1 team

People will say wait until then before splitting - by then it will be far far too late, the apathy has spread like Wildfire in Leinster (a competition that no team won 2 in a row from 1995-2005 and 6 different winners and no wonder the crowds were huge and interest from outside the province was very high as well) to now where players and fans in those counties have been disenfranchised and the competition lampooned by outsiders

The same will happen on a national scale - you'd have to be a fool to think given the resources and population for it not to happen. If people want Gaelic Football to be as relevant as Road Bowling in 2040 then we should just keep the Status Quo and not change anything, us 'loonies' will keep highlighting these blatant inequalities regardless how unpopular it is to do so.

You obviously didn't read Ireland 2040. The aim of the plan is to move growth to the regions, and focus on cities like Cork, Limerick, Galway and Waterford. Athlone and Sligo also to benefit.

Keep the growth away from Dublin is the mantra.

• Advertisement

dunnerc wrote: »
    Yawn at all that gibberish

The really strange thing is that those calling for Dublin to be split generally come from the other stronger counties - Kerry and Mayo being particularly prominent - which immediately makes you question the bona fides of the call.

Carlow people will be looking forward to another clash with Dublin if they manage to win their semi (and Dublin win theirs).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Amprodude wrote:
    Should Kerry be split too?

In a similar light you should start a
    "Feck Kerry" thread to hold the seasonal posts along that line!!
    ;)

corny wrote:
    I gave some of the orphans from the West to the south to even it up. A bit like Leinster propping up Munster in the rugby.

How is Brogan on the Southside!

Glenbhoy wrote:
    With just one outlet for them, what chance realistically do they have? Yes, a few might make it, but how many won't ever get that chance, but could easily be the standard required for the majority of counties?

This one really gets me. The idea that our country friends give one hoot about Dublin kids not making it on to a team.

As if 25 more spots would solve that issue.

At least be honest about the reasons to split it, or suggest that the funding needs to be changed, but the do it for the kids argument (all 26 of them) makes no sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Stoner wrote: »
    This one really gets me. The idea that our country friends give one hoot about Dublin kids not making it on to a team.

At least be honest about the reasons to split it, or suggest that the funding needs to be changed, but the do it for the kids argument (all 26 of them) makes no sense.

That the favourite theme of Principal O'Rourke, isn't it?

Fair dues to him. How he is able to spout that drivel & keep a straight face, takes some doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

Whilst I may be country, I am involved with a Dublin club and my kids are dubs, how people don't see that the sport would benefit significantly from more outlets for top class athletes to show their talents is what I don't understand.

It's not a funding issue, 15 against 15 means that every team is beatable at some stage.
    A once in a generation westmeath team can beat Dublin if everything falls their way, that's always been the case and always will be, that's why Iceland are at a world cup. But Dublin could field 4 teams that would probably beat Westmeath's best on the majority of occasions.

It's not 25 more spots, I would suggest 4 teams and a minimum of 3. That's 50 or 60 extra spots at all ages for development squads the whole way through. It would at a minimum treble chances, but in all likelihood the multiple would be much larger.

I understand that people are against it for historical reasons, but surely the logic is sound, are ye scared that if you accept the logic, it'll be an unstoppable train?
    Imagine the joy when fingal takes its first Leinster at the expense of West Dublin? When the 3 in a row seeking dun laoghaire rathdown come a cropper to unheralded Kildare??

And I'm not in any way anti-dub, I attend a fair few games and appreciate them for what they are, a fantastic team. I just prefer watching them play mayo than watching what will most likely ensue when I see them on Sunday against Longford. (No disrespect to Longford of course, I know they've taken mayo's scalp in the past, but the bookies quotes of 1/100 Dublin are probably fair).

Glenbhoy wrote: »
    Whilst I may be country, I am involved with a Dublin club and my kids are dubs, how people don't see that the sport would benefit significantly from more outlets for top class athletes to show their talents is what I don't understand.

It's not a funding issue, 15 against 15 means that every team is beatable at some stage.
    A once in a generation westmeath team can beat Dublin if everything falls their way, that's always been the case and always will be, that's why Iceland are at a world cup. But Dublin could field 4 teams that would probably beat Westmeath's best on the majority of occasions.

It's not 25 more spots, I would suggest 4 teams and a minimum of 3. That's 50 or 60 extra spots at all ages for development squads the whole way through. It would at a minimum treble chances, but in all likelihood the multiple would be much larger.

I understand that people are against it for historical reasons, but surely the logic is sound, are ye scared that if you accept the logic, it'll be an unstoppable train?
    Imagine the joy when fingal takes its first Leinster at the expense of West Dublin? When the 3 in a row seeking dun laoghaire rathdown come a cropper to unheralded Kildare??

And I'm not in any way anti-dub, I attend a fair few games and appreciate them for what they are, a fantastic team. I just prefer watching them play mayo than watching what will most likely ensue when I see them on Sunday against Longford. (No disrespect to Longford of course, I know they've taken mayo's scalp in the past, but the bookies quotes of 1/100 Dublin are probably fair).

If only we had partial county teams before like Fingal and North Down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Longford have never beaten Dublin in championship as far as I know, so maybe we should have been split up in 1920

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Longford have never beaten Dublin in championship as far as I know, so maybe we should have been split up in 1920

They did Kerry and Meath's dirty work in 1970.

17 May 1970
    First Round
    Longford 2-14 – 3-8 Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Never knew that. I don't think Kerry or Meath would have been losing sleep over Dublin in 1970!

• Advertisement

Glenbhoy wrote:
    I understand that people are against it for historical reasons, but surely the logic is sound, are ye scared that if you accept the logic, it'll be an unstoppable train? Imagine the joy when fingal takes its first Leinster at the expense of West Dublin? When the 3 in a row seeking dun laoghaire rathdown come a cropper to unheralded Kildare??

Imagine the joy indeed, for you and your like

I'm not scared of logic at all. I'm just aware of your motive. Just man up and admit it. Obviously in your plan your county would remain as is ?

These made up counties, be they created from splitting Dublin or joining up counties don't exist and have no support basis. I'd have zero interest in it neither has my son, who's from generations of Dublin supporters.

If it happens the GAA will sit right back with rural Ireland. Right where it was in the early 1970's.

I think counties like Wicklow should stay as they are, funds and structures should be put in place and some sort of version of Spillane's draft should be set up to give them new blood,

Your kids could represent your county even though you moved out of it. They could transfer back later, some would stay. Imagine your joy if your county beat Dublin using Dubs.

At least your county has some genuine supporters like yourself, you wouldn't have to start from nothing and you could go home every now and then for games

That way the kids have something to aim at while still playing county sports be it at a lower level but a decent level at that.

Think of the kids Glenbhoy, that way your kids could play for your county having been developed within the Dublin structure.

They could transition to Dublin, their county if they wanted to and requested. Remember you made the decision to move to Dublin, they are Dubs now

And my kids could play for their county like some of their cousins, uncle's etc did.

Let's think of the kids.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Its not feasible to split Dublin. The set up of the county boundaries, club boundaries etc just wont make it work. It's an archaic system that doesnt belong in the current climate, but the only solution really is to demolish the entire structure and create new teams instead. 31 participating county teams with such disparity between them all is ridiculous stuff, but you destroy the tradition of it all and the history.

One of the biggest factors for Dublins dominance has been the emergence of the super clubs in Dublin and many of them operate on numbers and finances that would put some of the participating counties to shame. The income they receive (not grant funded, just through membership etc), the facilities they build, many of them are far greater than county teams that go up against Dublin. Judes had pictures out there recently of their video analysis room. Hugely impressive stuff, but for some counties they would never have such a facility. For a club to have it is just mind boggling.

There is no doubt Dublin have major financial help over other counties. People try dismiss that as if it is no big thing, but it is. When you have the lure of the perks that it can provide, it makes playing a hobby more satisfying. More and more lads are turned off playing county these days. The benefits of financial backing are huge, if used correctly. And Dublin have certainly not squandered it and have been extremely positive in how they have spent particularly on their coaching structures within clubs.

Talks of how Dublin went years without winning or that they always had the population dont really take into account the gigantic changes that have happened in the last 20 years. The game is almost unrecognisable now from back then.

The chatter too of other counties should just improve or do their own development plans. All well and good, but many counties do have development plans, but never got the same funding as Dublin did. When the average county has 4 or 5 coaching officers for its entire county set up and Dublin has over 50, its easy to see how such vast disparities can happen quickly.

You have to give Dublin huge credit for the work they have done. They have taken advantage of the many things in their favour. They are going above and beyond, like other counties such as Monaghan, Mayo etc are doing. And then there are plenty of other counties who also have certain advantages whether it is population, finance, location, tradition etc who are punching way below what they should be.

There is no easy solution. And whilst Dublin are successful and the hierarchy in the GAA are seeing the financial benefit of a dominant Dublin, there is no appetite to balance the playing field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

bruschi wrote: »
    The chatter too of other counties should just improve or do their own development plans. All well and good, but many counties do have development plans, but never got the same funding as Dublin did.

Its such naive thinking really, and for a comparison I would tell people to look at soccer, both in the PL and in the CL.

There are huge imbalances between the super clubs and everybody else, but does anybody really think that Ajax or Standard Liege are going to be competing with Barcelona or Manchester United any time soon? You'll never hear anybody seriously claim that Everton or Aston Villa are going to overtake Man City any time soon.

You don't hear that because its obvious that outside of freak results it simply isn't going to happen, the inequities in terms of financial power mean that the strong are only going to get stronger. Yet when there is a similar situation occurring in the GAA people seriously seem to think it will magically sort itself out and that in 5/10 years time one of the smaller teams with less resources will somehow become successful.

Again, splitting Dublin does not seem to be any answer, I would not call for that, but anybody who can't see that there is a serious problem developing has their head in the sand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

Yawn the Kerry and KK thing brought upon again

Yawn it's Meath Kildare Westmeath fault

Yawn it's just a golden phase (for our mens and women's Footballers, our hurling and Camogie, clubs yada yada yada yada) and it'll soon change (we promise!!!!)

Hopefully it doesn’t change & Meath & Kildare continue their decline

The Provincial championships need to go, serves no purpose, the league is a far better idea and should be promoted instead.

jon1981 wrote:
    The Provincial championships need to go, serves no purpose, the league is a far better idea and should be promoted instead.

League is a great competitions imo, much easier to support too, home and away is all fair too bar the final.

League is a great competitions imo, much easier to support too, home and away is all fair too bar the final.

Right and teams have a chance to win some silverware as it's a tiered system.

Perhaps I'm biased because Leinster is just a mess because of how far the Dubs are ahead of the competition. Splitting Dublin is not the answer but perhaps the provincials need a revisit on it's relevance... it's lost relevance in Hurling when you have Galway playing in Leinster...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭peneau

Irony of ironies GAA people suggesting partitioning a county

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

mickeyk wrote: »
    proper investment in other counties is what is needed imo.
    This, But it will never happen, The Grab All Assosiation will keep it in the capital.
    The rest of the districts will have to keep fundraising outside local shops for new jerseys

• Advertisement

Antrim and Cork have significant populations... by the logic of Dublin is too big and "therefore winning everything"...where are these teams? It's not all about population.

Also it's not reasonable to expect similar funding be handed to Leitrim as Dublin...

Dublin 1,345,402
    Antrim 618,108
    Cork 542,196
    Down 531,665
    Fingal 296,214
    South Dublin 278,749
    Galway 258,552
    Londonderry 247,132
    Kildare 222,130
    Dún Laoghaire–Rathdown 217,274
    Limerick 195,175
    Meath 194,942
    Tyrone 179,000
    Armagh 174,792
    Tipperary 160,441
    Donegal 158,755
    Wexford 149,605
    Kerry 147,554
    Wicklow 142,332
    Mayo 130,425
    Louth 128,375
    Clare 118,817
    Waterford 116,401
    Kilkenny 99,118
    Westmeath 88,770
    Laois 84,732
    Offaly 78,003
    Cavan 76,092
    Sligo 65,357
    Roscommon 64,436
    Fermanagh 61,170
    Monaghan 61,273
    Carlow 56,875
    Longford 40,810
    Leitrim 31,972

• Site Banned Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭DONTMATTER

I think the extent of the financial doping is far worse than many people realise. It is a professional system which creates, develops and produces players through a system which involves highly paid coaches, trainers and is overseen by highly paid directors. This money comes from all of us regular GAA members, they then have gained huge sponsorship money off the back of the success bought by our money which means they can have a senior set up involving the huge backroom team of various coaches, world champions, physiologists etc etc
    I was on a different GAA forum a few years ago and all what is happening now was predicted then. The financial doping has made it impossible for Dublin to fail, they have a professional set up in an amateur game. I will go into the financial doping in more detail when I have time. I first will just update a comparison list I created on the GAA forum I used to frequent that shows just how much millions upon millions can buy. The first list is of what Dublin won between 1990 and 2008, the second list is what's been won since.

Between 1990 and 2008:

Senior
    Football
    All Ireland Senior Football Champions: 1995
    Leinster Senior Football Champions: 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    National Football League Champions: 1991, 1993

Hurling
    Leinster Senior Hurling Champions: None
    National Hurling League Titles: None

U21
    Football
    All Ireland u21 Football Champions: 2003
    Leinster u21 Football Champions: 2002, 2003, 2005

Hurling
    Leinster u21 Hurling Champions: None

Minor
    Football
    All Ireland Minor Football Champions: None
    Leinster Minor Football Champions: 1994, 1999, 2001, 2003

Hurling
    Leinster Minor Hurling Champions: None

Between 2008 and 2018:

Senior
    Football
    All Ireland Senior Football Champions: 2011, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017
    Leinster Senior Football Champions: 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
    National Football League Champions: 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018

Hurling
    Leinster Senior Hurling Champions: 2013
    National Hurling League Titles: 2011

U21
    Football
    All Ireland u21 Football Champions: 2010, 2012, 2014, 2017
    Leinster u21 Football Champions: 2009, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017

Hurling
    Leinster u21 Hurling Champions: 2010, 2011, 2016

Minor
    Football
    All Ireland Minor Football Champions: 2012
    Leinster Minor Football Champions: 2009, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2017

Hurling
    Leinster Minor Hurling Champions: 2011, 2012, 2016

That's 20 titles between 1990 and 2008 and 43 titles in the last decade! That is crazy but it's what financial doping achieves.

DONTMATTER wrote:
    That's 20 titles between 1990 and 2008 and 43 titles in the last decade! That is crazy but it's what financial doping achieves.

That's some first post !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,204 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Its such naive thinking really, and for a comparison I would tell people to look at soccer, both in the PL and in the CL.
    There are huge imbalances between the super clubs and everybody else, but does anybody really think that Ajax or Standard Liege are going to be competing with Barcelona or Manchester United any time soon? You'll never hear anybody seriously claim that Everton or Aston Villa are going to overtake Man City any time soon.

Surely International soccer is a more relevant comparison?
    Of the 32 teams at this year's World Cup, how many of them have a real chance of winning?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

DONTMATTER wrote: »
    I think the extent of the financial doping is far worse than many people realise. It is a professional system which creates, develops and produces players through a system which involves highly paid coaches, trainers and is overseen by highly paid directors. This money comes from all of us regular GAA members, they then have gained huge sponsorship money off the back of the success bought by our money which means they can have a senior set up involving the huge backroom team of various coaches, world champions, physiologists etc etc
    I was on a different GAA forum a few years ago and all what is happening now was predicted then. The financial doping has made it impossible for Dublin to fail, they have a professional set up in an amateur game. I will go into the financial doping in more detail when I have time. I first will just update a comparison list I created on the GAA forum I used to frequent that shows just how much millions upon millions can buy. The first list is of what Dublin won between 1990 and 2008, the second list is what's been won since.

Between 1990 and 2008:

Senior
    Football
    All Ireland Senior Football Champions: 1995
    Leinster Senior Football Champions: 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    National Football League Champions: 1991, 1993

Hurling
    Leinster Senior Hurling Champions: None
    National Hurling League Titles: None

U21
    Football
    All Ireland u21 Football Champions: 2003
    Leinster u21 Football Champions: 2002, 2003, 2005

Hurling
    Leinster u21 Hurling Champions: None

Minor
    Football
    All Ireland Minor Football Champions: None
    Leinster Minor Football Champions: 1994, 1999, 2001, 2003

Hurling
    Leinster Minor Hurling Champions: None

Between 2008 and 2018:

Senior
    Football
    All Ireland Senior Football Champions: 2011, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017
    Leinster Senior Football Champions: 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
    National Football League Champions: 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018

Hurling
    Leinster Senior Hurling Champions: 2013
    National Hurling League Titles: 2011

U21
    Football
    All Ireland u21 Football Champions: 2010, 2012, 2014, 2017
    Leinster u21 Football Champions: 2009, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017

Hurling
    Leinster u21 Hurling Champions: 2010, 2011, 2016

Minor
    Football
    All Ireland Minor Football Champions: 2012
    Leinster Minor Football Champions: 2009, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2017

Hurling
    Leinster Minor Hurling Champions: 2011, 2012, 2016

Hi Ewan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭VonZan

I don't think Dublin should be split up but something needs to be done. There is talk already of RTE and Sky trying to drop football coverage due to the quality.

The provincial championships in football are slowly dying away. Unfortunately, for minnows to compete in the modern era they have to employ ultra defensive tactics because it's obvious the gulf in resources won't allow for 15 on 15.

People are going to lose interest if there isn't a format devised to provide more resources to smaller counties and even then kids aren't as interest in the football as they were when I was growing up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭largepants

This thread was started by a person from Dublin. Posters have offered opinions, in some cases backed up with figures, and they are still ridiculed.

Why start the thread if you simply don't want to hear the other side of the argument?

largepants wrote: »
    This thread was started by a person from Dublin. Posters have offered opinions, in some cases backed up with figures, and they are still ridiculed.

Why start the thread if you simply don't want to hear the other side of the argument?

They've been sticking their fingers in their ears for years. They don't want to hear it. You can see why they don't want to. If they face facts then they'll have to admit that all their recent titles were won unfairly. That what they're watching is bought, not actually won through hard work.
    I've heard all the excuses, I've heard all the deflecting, I've heard all the abuse that gets thrown at you when you bring this up. It's time we all realise that nothing will change if it's left up to Dublin and GAA hq. Money is what matters to them. It's time for all the other counties to stand up together. This isn't right.
    This is destroying our games. We hear more and more talk about this B championship, that will kill off the game in those counties. Can you tell me how Joe McDonagh games have been shown on the Sunday Game? The Leinster championship is already dead. Crowds are disappearing, players are disappearing.
    In hurling, the money Dublin got would have revived some counties. I said a few years ago that this would kill the GAA and it's getting closer every year. Let's stand together and stop the financial doping.

They've been sticking their fingers in their ears for years. They don't want to hear it. You can see why they don't want to. If they face facts then they'll have to admit that all their recent titles were won unfairly. That what they're watching is bought, not actually won through hard work.
    I've heard all the excuses, I've heard all the deflecting, I've heard all the abuse that gets thrown at you when you bring this up. It's time we all realise that nothing will change if it's left up to Dublin and GAA hq. Money is what matters to them. It's time for all the other counties to stand up together. This isn't right.
    This is destroying our games. We hear more and more talk about this B championship, that will kill off the game in those counties. Can you tell me how Joe McDonagh games have been shown on the Sunday Game? The Leinster championship is already dead. Crowds are disappearing, players are disappearing.
    In hurling, the money Dublin got would have revived some counties. I said a few years ago that this would kill the GAA and it's getting closer every year. Let's stand together and stop the financial doping.

The reality is that if the splitting of Dublin is to ever become a reality, it breaks the county structure and the amalgamation of counties will be on the table at the same time.

The O'Rourke argument that lads in Dublin are being denied the opportunity to play and compete at senior level also extends to the better players in the smaller counties who are being denied the ability to play in a competitive team at senior level.

That precedent of the breaking of county structures is why smaller counties are equally opposed to the breaking up of Dublin.

All of the above applies no matter your view of the splitting of Dublin and is the realpolitik of the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Ha your comparing dubs success and how it was achieved to lance Armstrong

blanch152 wrote: »
    The reality is that if the splitting of Dublin is to ever become a reality, it breaks the county structure and the amalgamation of counties will be on the table at the same time.

The O'Rourke argument that lads in Dublin are being denied the opportunity to play and compete at senior level also extends to the better players in the smaller counties who are being denied the ability to play in a competitive team at senior level.

That precedent of the breaking of county structures is why smaller counties are equally opposed to the breaking up of Dublin.

All of the above applies no matter your view of the splitting of Dublin and is the realpolitik of the situation.

Yeah I've heard that one before as well. Splitting Dublin to make it somewhat fair after over a decade of millions upon millions pumped into Dublin GAA will result in other counties having to join together. It's completely nonsensical.
    At the moment Dublin are like 3 big counties joined together, why would we try to replicate that?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement