Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Train cancellations 18th June onwards

Options
  • 05-06-2018 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭

Just got word that IE have made a proposal to the NTA to cancle a number of Intercity, Commuter and DART services "temporarily" from the 18th June until at least the end of August due to "staff shortages" and an effort to cut the OT bill.

No further details as yet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭trellheim

With the holiday season coming any idea what volume of services is being considered ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭nowaynever

Ah they're just catching up on Limerick Junction/Waterford Line...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

If only IE had a batch of drivers recruited who they could finish training to take up some of the slack....

Basically what you may end up seeing is the fiasco about mentoring and the new drivers being paid to do diddly squat whilst the existing drivers earn large amounts of overtime coming home to roost in a big way...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

trellheim wrote: »
    With the holiday season coming any idea what volume of services is being considered ?

No idea, but I have heard the entire off-peak M3 line service, some DARTs, Bray diesel services, some Sligo, some Waterford, all Waterford to Limerick Junction and some Athlone to Galway being mentioned.

• Advertisement

It'll be interesting to see how serious IE are about this, since there is part of me that thinks that if IE implement some kind of overtime ban, it's essentially them saying that they're no longer going to tolerate a situation where staff are holding up training of new drivers so they can continue earning lots of money from overtime.

By removing the chance to earn overtime, they may feel that this will push the drivers to comply with mentoring the new drivers, because it removes the biggest incentive that exists right now to not mentor.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

the minute i read the title of this thread i knew waterford limerick junction would be on that list. dublin waterford and dublin sligo being victims is also not a shock. i'm shocked ballybroaphy and rosslare aren't on it, or at least that we know of?
    hopefully the NTA will stand up for the rail users for once and say no to this.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

devnull wrote: »
    By removing the chance to earn overtime, they may feel that this will push the drivers to comply with mentoring the new drivers, because it removes the biggest incentive that exists right now to not mentor.

Training of drivers re-commenced some time ago.

GM228 wrote: »
    Training of drivers re-commenced some time ago.

Is everything being complied for in relation to mentoring now or is there still some hold up in this regard in getting those drivers who have sat around for a while doing nothing to become drivers?

Are any of the drivers to be mentored from the last year or so now driving or if not how long away from it are they?

the minute i read the title of this thread i knew waterford limerick junction would be on that list. dublin waterford and dublin sligo being victims is also not a shock. i'm shocked ballybroaphy and rosslare aren't on it, or at least that we know of?
    hopefully the NTA will stand up for the rail users for once and say no to this.

Well it's either the rail users or the employees(A/L cancelations) who are going to suffer at this stage. What's your preference?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭tara83

No idea, but I have heard the entire off-peak M3 line service, some DARTs, Bray diesel services, some Sligo, some Waterford, all Waterford to Limerick Junction and some Athlone to Galway being mentioned.

Any idea when we ll hear more? I depend on the M3 off peak service

Is everything being complied for in relation to mentoring now or is there still some hold up in this regard in getting those drivers who have sat around for a while doing nothing to become drivers?

Are any of the drivers to be mentored from the last year or so now driving or if not how long away from it are they?

Yes, all is being complied with and all trainees from both grades are being mentored.

New classes are starting, and all existing trainees are expected to be out on their own by December or January.

tara83 wrote: »
    Any idea when we ll hear more? I depend on the M3 off peak service

I'm told a submission is in with the NTA, I don't know the time frame, time will tell, but I would imagine soon considering it's less than 14 days time.

Yes, all is being complied with and all trainees from both grades are being mentored.

New classes are starting, and all existing trainees are expected to be out on their own by December or January.

So essentially a short term thing from Irish Rail, which will cease to be a problem when they have some of the trainees ready to go out as full drivers.

We appear to have a situation where the lack of mentoring and the time it took to solve that dispute is leading to a situation where there are not enough drivers to operate a service without paying lots of overtime which Irish Rail cannot afford.

All in all, still comes back to the fact that staff in Irish Rail had no incentive to mentor new staff because it would restrict their overtime earnings.

All in all, still comes back to the fact that staff in Irish Rail had no incentive to mentor new staff because it would restrict their overtime earnings.

I'm not so sure, feedback we have received has indicated a very high uptake of the mentoring role (65% in some locations).

I'm not so sure, feedback we have received has indicated a very high uptake of the mentoring role (65% in some locations).

Well clearly less drivers means more chances of overtime and I'd be surprised if that wasn't a factor in why the mentoring dispute was going on for as long as it was and if the training had started earlier we'd probably not have the issues that seem to be coming down the line in relation to service cancellations.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭hole in my lovelywall

Hard enough get a seat on some routes as it is.
    Do trains get much busier, or maybe quieter, during the summer holiday season?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Hard enough get a seat on some routes as it is.
    Do trains get much busier, or maybe quieter, during the summer holiday season?

Quieter during the peak and busier off peak with the school holidays. More people off peak travelling for leisure and less during the peak due to people being on holidays and no schools. Just a guess I would also say more people travel on intercity trains going on weekend breaks and day trips as the weather gets better.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

It would be nice if CIE employed management and staff prepared to work for a living instead of taking the piss. Sooner or later somebody is going to have to shut the whole concern down as it becomes more irrelevant to 21st century Ireland by the day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 168 ✭✭dublinbuster

IE is broke
    The Bray signal damage a few weeks ago will cost a few million to fix
    have to rob peter to pay paul
    i blame the NTA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Bray Head

Lots of countries have explicit timetables for school holidays for particular routes. 

It suits everyone. Less demand, and also generally the time when drivers want to take holidays.

Why can't this be done in Ireland?

IE is broke
    i blame the NTA

Not much the NTA can do about the fact that Irish Rail staff have been refusing to mentor staff for the last two years to the point that no new drivers have been able to go live on the mainline which has resulted in lots of staff extracting lots of extra money in overtime out of it whole situation.

When such kind of things happen it's easy to see why people have the belief that the company, despite being a public service, is run for the staff rather than the public itself.

Not much the NTA can do about the fact that Irish Rail staff have been refusing to mentor staff for the last two years to the point that no new drivers have been able to go live on the mainline which has resulted in lots of staff extracting lots of extra money in overtime out of it whole situation.

When such kind of things happen it's easy to see why people have the belief that the company, despite being a public service, is run for the staff rather than the public itself.

what has this got to do with the damage in bray?
    several million has to be found to fix problem, NTA should be paying for this unexpected expense, but it is IE who now have to find the money to keep one of the few lines worth keeping up and running, the DART.

IE is broke
    i blame the NTA

Can you post a copy of the bill or did you just one up with a rough estimate?

if laughable this view.
    come work in the workers paradise that is CIE if you think this is true.
    it will be a shock to the system, CIE is set up to squeeze the most out of staff, and the passengers are a afterthought

what has this got to do with the damage in bray?

I assumed we were talking about the cancellations of trains as well since that is the topic at hand, if I misunderstood I apologise but at the end of the day paying lots of staff overtime whilst also paying a batch of drivers to sit idle because nobody will train them would have for sure had a negative impact on their finances overall.

You'd have thought that they would have some kind of decent fire suppression equipment though in Bray which would have resulted in less damage and disruption than there was.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Jeez, Sligo line seems busier than ever these days, surprised it would get a mentioneven off peak

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

While I think IE have taken a good step (getting a grip on OT) here I cannot see the NTA approving such widespread cancellations.

Notice Cork/Limerick have been protected yet over the last few weeks they have had no drivers available.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

IE is broke
    i blame the NTA

Have your heard of a small thing called insurance....
    Jeez, Sligo line seems busier than ever these days, surprised it would get a mentioneven off peak

You shouldn't be surprised, they will alters cut busy services over others.

• Advertisement

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    While I think IE have taken a good step (getting a grip on OT) here I cannot see the NTA approving such widespread cancellations.

And that is the issue isn't it.

If they don't allow the cancellations it means that Irish Rail are going to have to continue to pay overtime and the staff know that and that's why I'd expect the unions to come full frontal out on that, no doubt using a smokescreen such as underfunding is the reason Irish Rail can't pay them overtime.

Then you'll have the opposition coming out and dancing to the tune of underfunding as well and pointing out that the public are suffering due to cancelled trains. So whilst I see why Irish Rail want to get a grip on OT and it does need to be dealt with, I just can't see this working out.

Advertisement