Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobseekers who are not seeking jobs

Options
  • 04-06-2018 9:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭

Dont mean to be a smartass, but I have seen this a lot - people who are on jobseekers allowance, but they are not trying hard to find a job.

If I was out of work, I would be spending 8 hours a day either researching, applying for jobs, or out meeting people to make contacts.

Is there any follow-up from DSA, to check on someone's progress?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

Just asking for a "friend" are ya??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

They'll put you on some nonsense privatised scheme like turas nua.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

A dole scrounging basher thread?

Surely a first on after hours?

Someone get that man a shandy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Why only 8 hours a day?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Yeah, like 8 hours is not enough work to put in?
    I know this Maltese girl - during the bad years, 2009 / 10, she told me she was doing 14 hour days, spent 2 - 3 hours per job application.
    Had meals shoved under the bedroom door on a tray.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭badtoro

Oh yay another dole thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I know this Maltese girl - during the bad years, 2009 / 10, she told me she was doing 14 hour days, spent 2 - 3 hours per job application.

Bull. 3 hours on each job application? She wasn't the brightest, was she? No wonder she was out of work.

Does the fact that she was from Malta have any bearing, or are we just trying to appear more cosmopolitan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Pancakes and sole fish were presumably a big hit in that gaff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

I've been on the dole several times, but I've never spent 8 hours a day looking for work.

If you're working in a specific field and not just looking for a generic service industry job (not knocking that, by the way), there are only so many jobs available.

Having said that, each job application probably did take in the region of two to three hours, between research and actually writing a tailored application.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Dont mean to be a smartass, but I have seen this a lot - people who are on jobseekers allowance, but they are not trying hard to find a job.

If I was out of work, I would be spending 8 hours a day either researching, applying for jobs, or out meeting people to make contacts.

8 hours a day! Would you really? When I was unemplyed there was probably only enough jobs advertised to spend 8hrs a week to spend looking, and applying for work.

My memories it was just a tick box exercise for social welfare/FAS. Was only called in once or twice by FAS, despite going in my self most weeks to check their boards/screens. Once such letter said, if I did not come in, I could lose my payments, even though I had been in every week, already done two courses, and had a third almost lined up.

My support officer, said letters were created automatically regardless of the persons efforts, and was even surprised by my own efforts to find work, and a personal file full of applications, reponses, email print outs, etc. I think the expected was only two or three applications to be done a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

I've a family member like that. I have gotten them about 4 or 5 jobs but will just quit after a day so just gave up on them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

EPAndlee wrote: »
    I've a family member like that. I have gotten them about 4 or 5 jobs but will just quit after a day so just gave up on them

How exactly are they quitting multiple jobs after a day and still claiming jobseekers?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,714 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

If someone just has a fixed viewpoint that they cant work then they will do everything they can not to work. I know several people who, after years and years of claiming back problems or doing stupid little courses that wont benefit them in any way, actually went to the doctor having googled the symptoms of severe depression, and got signed off from any job seeking indefinitely. My neighbour actually hasn't left the house for 2 years now due to depression which can only make your mental health worse in my view.
    You have to wonder what makes a person so utterly and ruthlessly against any kind of employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

How exactly are they quitting multiple jobs after a day and still claiming jobseekers?

I've no idea. They have being on the dole well over 10 years now. I'm sure they are making up so bull****e about being unable to work due to illness

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭keysersoze0330

The waster wouldn’t be coming off the dole for these day jobs, just doing the days work for show, then normal service resumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

You have to wonder what makes a person so utterly and ruthlessly against any kind of employment.

Culture?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

****ing dole threads.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Did I hear someone whisper "travellers and migrants" benefit shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

One trick the social welfare inspectors do;

Mate of mine gets a call at 0930am, from a blocked number...

"John, are you at home?"
    Waiting for ... "no, I'm at work"
    Snared.

Signing on is monthly, I believe. They can call mobiles, waiting to hear any foreign dial tones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Plenty of jobs coming up in Italy for bag packers and expellers.

Not sure what the positions entail but sounds like there will be plenty of them.

Rome: Italy's new populist leaders commemorated the founding of the Italian republic by attending a pomp-filled military parade Saturday - and then promised to get to work creating jobs and expelling migrants.

"The free ride is over," League leader Matteo Salvini, Italy's new interior minister, warned migrants at a rally in northern Italy. "It's time to pack your bags."

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/pack-your-bags-new-italian-gov-t-pledges-mass-migrant-deportation-20180603-p4zj5n.html

• Registered Users Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I don't know about quitting jobs but if they send you for a job interview letting them know that you are a drug dealer or something like that will guarantee that you won't get the job. They won't mention drug dealing to the dole office in case they are brought to court for discrimination.

There are a percentage of people that are happy to live on the dole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I don't know about quitting jobs but if they send you for a job interview letting them know that you are a drug dealer or something like that will guarantee that you won't get the job. They won't mention drug dealing to the dole office in case they are brought to court for discrimination.

There are a percentage of people that are happy to live on the dole.
    There are, but fortunately that percentage is absolutely miniscule compared to the overall workforce.
    You can't force people to work, and if they're entitled to benefits, then they're entitled. You can try make it uncomfortable, which is what the govt is doing now, but there's a limit before the individuals and their children really suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

People will try make the best choices amongst alternatives.

If you were an unemployed man with say 2 kids and a wife, with all the benefits you can get, do you know what a job would need to pay just so you can net out the same?

Conservatively, about 42-45k. And that's before you add in a few odd tommers (or side hustles) throughout the year.

If your education, work history, mental health situation, life skills, coping ability, etc doesn't land you in that bracket, then apart from a desire for self esteem, social acceptance, fitting in, feeling useful, why would you want a job that hits your family finances like that? You can't call Bord Gais and tell them you have no money, but you are feeling great. They don't accept self esteem in payment.

That's the reality lads. You can give out about it as much as you want, but there needs to be a genuine investment in education and training, investment in kids in socio-economic disadvantaged areas, and an investment in policing and community (which doesn't mean more wages for overpaid gardai). The media need to also get off the backs of young kids trying to get out of this cycle, and direct their efforts to holding our elected leaders and the rest of us accountable for helping these kids out of this cycle.

There needs to be a washout of nearly every Department of Social protection staff member on over 80k and replacement with people who can actually f#cking deliver the goods. I done voluntary work in Dublin and Limerick with a couple of these f#ckers on boards, committees, and panels, and they are beyond useless. It's the height of irony. A lot of the lower level staff could be replaced with those on the dole. At least if you get a kid coming from a family dependent on social welfare, he is normally a grafter and will work hard. The kid who got the job because Mammy or Daddy knows their way around the public service is usually the non-productive useless sack of sh't that causes this problem to persist.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,111 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

old_aussie wrote: »
    Did I hear someone whisper "travellers and migrants" benefit shopping.

Give it till midday. Still plenty having a lie in.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

How do you know people aren't trying to find jobs? It's not like the old days where you handed CVs in endlessly to every business you can think of. Everything is done online now for the most part.

If you had any idea of the reality of job seeking / being unemployed you would also know that the DSP is following the awful British idea of privatising the welfare system to companies like Seetec (who have been proven to fraudulently massage the figures of people they have found work for, in order to claim bonuses from the UK government) so of course they follow claims up.

I met with a clueless job advisor once a month when I was unemployed a few years back, who's only suggestion was to change the font on my CV. I'd change it and at the next meeting be told to change it again.

Never understood how people can get so riled up about people living a miserable existence on 192 a week, or whatever it is now. Government are throwing money away in so many areas on on consultants and in the legal system in particular, yet this is what gets people's backs up. Depressing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

One trick the social welfare inspectors do;

Mate of mine gets a call at 0930am, from a blocked number...

"John, are you at home?"
    Waiting for ... "no, I'm at work"
    Snared.

Signing on is monthly, I believe. They can call mobiles, waiting to hear any foreign dial tones.

John must be thick as week old sh#te.

"MadDog, are you at home?"
    "Who is this and what do you want?"

And that's if I'll even answer a blocked number which I probably won't!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

eeguy wrote:
    There are, but fortunately that percentage is absolutely miniscule compared to the overall workforce. You can't force people to work, and if they're entitled to benefits, then they're entitled. You can try make it uncomfortable, which is what the govt is doing now, but there's a limit before the individuals and their children really suffer.

Oh its a tiny minority. I agree. Personally I don't begrudge someone not wanting to work. It's them that is missing out imo.

My kids are adults now but they got swimming, dance, music lessons and any after school activity they wanted. We have a nice home that is ours, mortgage free now. Holidays every year and most bank holiday weekends away. I have a van & my wife a car. I'm saving towards retirement. I have a great life now. My wife and kids have great lives. I can help my kids with their own homes if they ever move out of ours.

Compare my familys life to the life of someone on the dole all their life. They think I am the fool? I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

she must eat an awful lot of thinly sliced ham , or its a very badly hung door , or both . Hope she found work before the winter or the draft under the door would freeze the poor girl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Surprised there is still some people who are bothered about long term unemployed on the dole, don't bother me never will,don't effect me in anyway, before someone saids but the tax you pay goes towards to dole,don't care, we will always pay tax and there will always be people who never want to work,but still we have to have someone on boards to open another thread about it like its a new point.

Advertisement