Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are most Chemists closed on a Sunday?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Dont know any GPs that open at the weekend either.. as if people only need a doctor monday to friday, and during business hours too.

eg Southdoc? They have an afterhhours service. Nights too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,418 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If they are going to close, at least turn off your bloody flashing green light!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

The ones near to where i live are certainly open maybe you are going to the wrong ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

The OP has been going to a fish shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

As a pharmacist, there isn't the business there for every pharmacy to open on a Sunday. If the pharmacy is located near an out of hours doctor or in a large town with decent footfall around it then there could potentially be the business case for opening. However most pharmacies aren't.
    Ive done a number of locums on Sundays, for a large multinational chain beginning with B. They're dead!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭The Hound Gone Wild

You'd be paying a locum pharmacist €40-50 an hour for a Sunday. The business isn't there to support it in most areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

As a pharmacist, there isn't the business there for every pharmacy to open on a Sunday. If the pharmacy is located near an out of hours doctor or in a large town with decent footfall around it then there could potentially be the business case for opening. However most pharmacies aren't.
    Ive done a number of locums on Sundays, for a large multinational chain beginning with B. They're dead!

A pharmacist you say.I may be able to throw some business your way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

They should all be open! Doctors, dentists, pharmacists. We are constantly hearing about how over worked drs are and how GPs don't stay in Ireland because there isn't a good enough lifestyle. Why not work 4 days a week and share the practice with someone who'll do Fri, Sat and Sun. It's ridiculous you can't make a Drs appointment for Sunday. If they were all open all week we wouldn't have to leave work for weekday visits, if we did we wouldn't be waiting an hr in the waiting room because there'd be a normal flow of patients, GPs would be less harried because they aren't overrun all workday and we could afford to get sick at weekends!

Why do we just accept that this is the way that we have to be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Mikenesson

Graces7 wrote: »
    eg Southdoc? They have an afterhhours service. Nights too.

Anything outside of a plaster or an aspirin they send u on to A&E

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

odyssey06 wrote: »
    If they are going to close, at least turn off your bloody flashing green light!

So irritating :mad:

Yesterday my brother cracked his head open on the edge of a door so we went looking to see which chemists were still open at 6.00 on a sunday -one shows up as closing at 7.00. Grand.

We walk the mile or so over to them to find them closed, then walk all over the town to see if any of the others are open - all closed, but at least 3/4s still had their flashing green signs left switched on.

We would have gone to the injuries clinic in the local hospital, but that closes at 6, so we ended up suturing the wound up ourselves (not with stitches, just tape, plus antiseptic wipes etc).

Now that I think about it, my other brother did end up sewing up his own head after an accident in India and he was grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Strangely enough, people have families and pastimes they like to do, and also require rest time!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 masterluke3

Giblet wrote: »
    You need to give a day to the Lord. Its a day of rest and more shops should be closed imo to allow us to reflect.

Thats true. The dark lord does require a full day of the week for the rites that must be performed.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Monday is arguably the quietest day of the week so I get that.

Something that bugs me is the way car garages are usually closed on Saturday esp non sales, yet the weekend is when most people are ready to get work done, buy a part or a car. Close on Monday fellas!

I'd say if you asked in most main dealers they'd tell you they did open Saturdays at one stage. The ones I know and worked in that did, stopped doing it because they didn't get the business to justify opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

B0jangles wrote: »
    So irritating :mad:

Yesterday my brother cracked his head open on the edge of a door so we went looking to see which chemists were still open at 6.00 on a sunday -one shows up as closing at 7.00. Grand.

We walk the mile or so over to them to find them closed, then walk all over the town to see if any of the others are open - all closed, but at least 3/4s still had their flashing green signs left switched on.

We would have gone to the injuries clinic in the local hospital, but that closes at 6, so we ended up suturing the wound up ourselves (not with stitches, just tape, plus antiseptic wipes etc).

Now that I think about it, my other brother did end up sewing up his own head after an accident in India and he was grand.

To be honest, the most the chemist could have done, would have given you dressings, some Brufen, and would have probably directed you to the injuries clinic if it was that deep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    To be honest, the most the chemist could have done, would have given you dressings, some Brufen, and would have probably directed you to the injuries clinic if it was that deep.

Yeah I know, but all we really wanted was some steri-strips, we had everything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Did they die with their Boots on?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Squatter wrote: »
    Did they die with their Boots on?

Reminds me of the north sea island I lived on, We used to get retired drs as locums. One was very old and he was found one day dead at his desk .

Advertisement