Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are most Chemists closed on a Sunday?

Options
  • 03-06-2018 11:22am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭

People's health don't take a day off. I find it mind boggling tbh. Any other country I've visited have typical Chemists open on corners of streets.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Are they? They're all open round here anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Are they OP? I thought most were open for some part of the day on Sundays.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Think most of them mod on here on Sundays.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

You just have to travel to a bigger area to get one that's open. What about hairdressers and beauticians taking Mondays off? Ridiculous in this day and age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Any other country I've visited have typical Chemists open on corners of streets.

As a matter of interest, where are the atypical Chemists located?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I lived in Christchurch and nearst chemist was boots in CC. I live in Clondalkin now and its the same. Have to head into the village to get something. Sam McCauleys/Life/LLoyds/McCabes all mostly closed around the country on a Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

You need to give a day to the Lord. Its a day of rest and more shops should be closed imo to allow us to reflect.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Squatter wrote: »

In Argentina/Spain for example, housing areas often have a Chemist located at the end of the street/near the main road from the housing area. Open 7 days a week. I have family in both countries so I don't usually stay in hotel/built-up areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,509 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

God tends to wait till Monday to snuff them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,726 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Google "chemists open dublin 03 june 2018".

That will show you a map with the locations and opening hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Why can't you get your meds on another day?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Squatter wrote: »
    I can sort you out with a few contacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

In towns they work a rota. Usually publicised locally

Staff need time out with famiiies same as us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

People's health don't take a day off. I find it mind boggling tbh. Any other country I've visited have typical Chemists open on corners of streets.

And dentists. I once had a severe toothache for 48 hours; it was the worst 2 days of my life. Only on the Monday morning did the dentist put me out of my misery! Fortunately it wasn't a bank holiday weekend or I'd have had to suffer for a further 24 hours and would probably have become a solpadeine addict!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Dont know any GPs that open at the weekend either.. as if people only need a doctor monday to friday, and during business hours too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I think every large town and cities have a pharmacy designated for Sundays/Bank holidays etc. In Waterford it's Gallaghers.

Agree with previous poster that hairdressers closing on monday seems odd. afaik it goes back years when they had to have two days off together so sunday and monday. but nothing opened on sundays then, it was all about the church. Imo they should open on monday as they pay rent and rates anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 12,238 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Dont know any GPs that open at the weekend either.. as if people only need a doctor monday to friday, and during business hours too.

There are alternatives in place like DDoc or Kdoc etc

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

CareDoc, NowDoc, DocOnCAll, are just a few examples of out of hours GP care in the NW of Ireland. On ringing them, they will either invite you to them, come to you, or if serious direct you to A&E. Am sure there is similar aound the rest of the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Agree with previous poster that hairdressers closing on monday seems odd. afaik it goes back years when they had to have two days off together so sunday and monday. but nothing opened on sundays then, it was all about the church. Imo they should open on monday as they pay rent and rates anyway

Monday is arguably the quietest day of the week so I get that.

Something that bugs me is the way car garages are usually closed on Saturday esp non sales, yet the weekend is when most people are ready to get work done, buy a part or a car. Close on Monday fellas!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

People in Ireland on get sick mon-Fri, 9am to 4:30pm, or so my interactions with the health system would lead me to believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Chemists aren't the health system, they are a business. Some close on Sunday, others don't because the business is there. Unless you lived in an incredibly remote area, it's unlikely you'd be far from an open pharmacy on a Sunday or Bank Holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭Odelay

People have little to worry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    You just have to travel to a bigger area to get one that's open. What about hairdressers and beauticians taking Mondays off? Ridiculous in this day and age.

How dare you!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Anything in particular you're looking for OP ? I can sort ya out with a variety of zimmos , oxynorms etc .

Disclaimer I may or may not be joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I find it somewhat amusing that some people who probably don't work Sundays or bank holidays themselves, are complaining when others don't either.

There are alternatives in place like DDoc or Kdoc etc

Ah yes forgot about that service, sorry :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Clearly people's organisational skills do!

Chemist can't open without a pharmacist present. So the smaller pharmacies most likely only have one pharmacist. They're private businesses, not public services. Give them a day off!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Calling it: OP is clearly in need of a morning after pill following last night's shenanigans.

Advertisement