Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Edenmore / Thornville / Briarfield

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    But it is in kilbarrack as is the school beside it.

Ard Scoil La Salle? That's certainly Raheny.

I live in Grange Park myself. The whole area is right where Raheny, Coolock, Donaghmede and Kilbarrark meet.

Naming the shopping centre Kilbarrack was always contentious because it's pretty far from what would be considered the heart of Kilbarrack. I always found it an odd choice anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,973 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Decuc500 wrote: »
    Ard Scoil La Salle? That's certainly Raheny.

I live in Grange Park myself. The whole area is right where Raheny, Coolock, Donaghmede and Kilbarrark meet.

Naming the shopping centre Kilbarrack was always contentious because it's pretty far from what would be considered the heart of Kilbarrack. I always found it an odd choice anyway.

But it has always been kilbarrack. Going back hundreds of years long before any homes were built it was kilbarrack. It is on Swans Nest Road. Swans nest road is Kilbarrack. The address is Kilbarrack Shopping Centre, Swans Nest Road. There was never any issue with the name till a 2nd Shopping Centre opened in Greendale (also Kilbarrack). People mistakinly call the newer centre Kilbarrack Shopping Centre but it's always been called Greendale Shopping Centre.

At the end of the day the Shopping centre sits on land that has always been kilbarrack. It is what it is

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,163 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

That shopping centre is definitely in Kilbarrack, as is St. Benedict's school beside it and Ardscoil la Salle and all of Grange Park.
    It may have become the fashion (or a strategy to sell houses) to call the area Raheny, but technically, it's not.

https://www.townlands.ie/dublin/kilbarrack/

https://www.townlands.ie/dublin/raheny/

Foxfield is divided between the two. For those old enough to remember when the entire estate was called Foxfield Park ( roughly today the Road, Avenue, Drive, Park and part of the Grove) that bit was in Raheny parish and the newer add-ons down toward Greendale road were Kilbarrack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Very interesting reading about those townlands.

So whoever named Woodbine and Grange Park as Raheny was technically incorrect. At least as far as townlands go.

Was it a strategy to sell houses though? Back in the Sixties was Raheny considered more desirable than Kilbarrack? I would imagine it was the nearness of the Raheny Road to Raheny village to name the adjoining estates as a part of Raheny.

I would think there are plenty of areas situated in old townlands that are going by different names now.

Decuc500 wrote: »
    Very interesting reading about those townlands.

So whoever named Woodbine and Grange Park as Raheny was technically incorrect. At least as far as townlands go.

Was it a strategy to sell houses though? Back in the Sixties was Raheny considered more desirable than Kilbarrack? I would imagine it was the nearness of the Raheny Road to Raheny village to name the adjoining estates as a part of Raheny.

I would think there are plenty of areas situated in old townlands that are going by different names now.

My own home is in an area some call Raheny & some call Kilbarrack. When we bought the house the Estate agent advertised it as Sutton. He felt Sutton would get a higher price. It's the same home no matter what you call it. I don't go in for this "postcode snobbishness".The only thing I will say you had a much better chance of getting a job 30 years ago if you said you lived in Raheny rather than Kilbarrack

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,163 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The Church creating a parish and calling it 'Grange Park Raheny' may have also influenced things.

I've been looking at the newspaper archives and the old advertisements for the 'Foxfield park' development are very entertaining. 85 quid got you a large room split into two boxrooms, so that you could have a 5 bed house. The 'serving hatch' from the kitchen to the dining room was very 70s....oops 60s. My God, they were so modern! lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 A Fridge too Far

I have lived in Edenmore for the past two and a bit years, having bought a house there. Never had any trouble. In fact it's way quieter than where my parents live in Artane regarding traffic etc and general footfall, and their house is prob worth twice what mine is.
    When I was a kid it was rough AF but it seems to have quietened down.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Edenmore is a real mixed bag. Well settled by now with some great people yet someone was shot outs the pub a few years ago.
    Kilbarrack is fine apart from the newer buildings at the dart station. Briarfield is where most of the Snapper was filmed. Very little trouble there.

Foxfield you are in a different league. Middle class homes and a lovely area.

You get good & bad everywhere. Foxfield had a few drug overdoses over the decades, a convicted rapist and a paedophile. This can happen anywhere.

I'm 50 years living in the Raheny area. There was a time where people living in kilbarrack might put Raheny on the CV because they had a better chance of getting a job. I hope that is changed now. Kilbarrack & briarfield have settled down and I wouldnt have a problem moving there. I have been know to drop into the Foxhound once in a while.

I don't know anything about the school situation as my kids are in their mid 20s now

Fox Hound is a mad yoke, place looks a dodgy as feck but go in for a pint and it's quite friendly. A damn sight more friendly than a couple of pubs I frequented (once) in Rathfarnham.

Fox Hound is a mad yoke, place looks a dodgy as feck but go in for a pint and it's quite friendly. A damn sight more friendly than a couple of pubs I frequented (once) in Rathfarnham.

It wouldn't be my regular publication but I agree. I'd have no problem walking in there on my own (not that I go to the pub on my own). The crowd are actually quite friendly

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 A Fridge too Far

The Concorde is grand in Edenmore too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

The Concorde is grand in Edenmore too

That one I would be wary going in though,offo is fine though, they were open during the hurricane and served people with a smile haha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

sexmag wrote: »
    That one I would be wary going in though,offo is fine though, they were open during the hurricane and served people with a smile haha

The concorde is actually a grand boozer

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 227 ✭✭Dubs1990

The concorde is actually a grand boozer

I Live in Edenmore myself for the past 3 years, not a problem at all. You might get trouble up by the shops with the local teenagers hanging around. But the area in general is fine and quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Goose76

What percentage of Edemore (approx) would be social housing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Goose76 wrote: »
    What percentage of Edemore (approx) would be social housing?

The council carried out work on the houses that are still social ones this year so it was easy to tell .

I would guess one in 30 houses is still social housing.

Advertisement