Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Edenmore / Thornville / Briarfield

Options
  • 02-06-2018 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi there

I know there have been a few posts about these areas already but they're all about 4-5 years old. Am looking to buy a house and would be very grateful for any feedback locals from these areas could give me. Doesn't need to be posh, just needs to be peaceful and safe, i.e. no dodgy characters or social problems. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

Hi there

I know there have been a few posts about these areas already but they're all about 4-5 years old. Am looking to buy a house and would be very grateful for any feedback locals from these areas could give me. Doesn't need to be posh, just needs to be peaceful and safe, i.e. no dodgy characters or social problems. Thanks

Most people would consider Mr.bean a "dodgy character" these days. Loaded question to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 36 emerald-eagle

sexmag wrote: »
    Most people would consider Mr.bean a "dodgy character" these days. Loaded question to be honest

Wasn't intended to be a loaded question. Some posts a few years back mentioned junkies and armed drug dealers. Would like to avoid that for obvious reasons TBH

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭CWF

I work very near Edenmore, and I'd stay well away from it if I was you. It's a bit of a kip unfortunately. It's not as bad as Kilbarrack but not a whole better at the same time. Can't comment on the other two as I don't know exactly where they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

CWF wrote: »
    I work very near Edenmore, and I'd stay well away from it if I was you. It's a bit of a kip unfortunately. It's not as bad as Kilbarrack but not a whole better at the same time. Can't comment on the other two as I don't know exactly where they are.

Kilbarrack is absolutely fine and gentrifying aside from a small pocket cut off from the rest of Kilbarrack by the DART line.

Briarfield is a perfect example of quiet settled Kilbarrack. It's two/three streets over from Greendale, about five streets over from Foxfield the latter of which is a fairly middle class/retired area where you won't get a look in for under 500K. Go three more streets over and you're on the Howth Road.

OP feel free to PM me I live in the area and I'll tell you a bit more about the precise areas you're looking in.

Mr bean is a whole family of beans. But if you are a local it’s fine.

If not be prepared to pay the beggar tariff. Kilbarrack is probably as bad I’ve no idea of the other areas

Briarfield and Thornville estates make up about 50% of Kilbarrack.

Not a local and been welcomed in to what is a very friendly albeit working class area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

Then you don't know what you're talking about. Briarfield and Thornville estates make up about 50% of Kilbarrack.

That’s why I Said probably. I spend time near there on a Sunday morning there’s a lot of tablet heads walking around

I don’t know kilbarrack well apart from that, edenmore is 50/50

Not a fecker is about on a Sunday morning apart from the biddies going to the church, possibly the GAA lads and the guys that go around picking up the litter. Where are you seeing pill heads?

Son plays for kilbarrack

So in Greendale? Can't say I've ever seen them, especially on a Sunday morning, no ones about.

Edit: and in fairness Greendale is in Raheny.

Fair enough. When I sit in the car with the auld Americana while the young lad is in getting changed I must be imagining them all.

I'll take your word for it, but I've never seen them. About the only people about in the morning are little old ladies who don't seem to be particularly fearful of anyone about.

They arnt out mugging at that hour but I see them knocking on doors selling robbed stuff

Been here three years and never hear tell of a mugging. Last burglary was prior to three years ago on my street.

• Advertisement

Bloody good piece here OP it's well balanced IMHO. It's 18 years old at this stage and shows you how long it's been settled.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/kilbarrack-1.236068

Flats getting knocked (that are mentioned in that article) seem to be the catalyst for the area improving according to some longstanding locals.

PS going on pill head safari tomorrow when I go and get my rashers! Shall report back. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭CWF

Kilbarrack is absolutely fine and gentrifying aside from a small pocket cut off from the rest of Kilbarrack by the DART line.

Briarfield is a perfect example of quiet settled Kilbarrack. It's two/three streets over from Greendale, about five streets over from Foxfield the latter of which is a fairly middle class/retired area where you won't get a look in for under 500K. Go three more streets over and you're on the Howth Road.

OP feel free to PM me I live in the area and I'll tell you a bit more about the precise areas you're looking in.

OP the best thing to do is to hop in your car or on your bike and go into the heart of Edenmore (the centra, bookies) etc. and Kilbarack (Tesco, train station etc).
    Look, I'm far from posh but it's not an area I'd be spending my hard saved cash on. I wouldn't like my kids growing up here. Like most places, I'm sure parts of it aren't too bad but the parts of it I know very well, for nearly ten years, are bad enough to justify my opinion.

OP the best thing to do is to hop in your car or on your bike and go into the heart of Edenmore (the centra, bookies) etc. and Kilbarack (Tesco, train station etc).
    Look, I'm far from posh but it's not an area I'd be spending my hard saved cash on. I wouldn't like my kids growing up here. Like most places, I'm sure parts of it aren't too bad but the parts of it I know very well, for nearly ten years, are bad enough to justify my opinion.

If you don't know where Briarfield and Thornville are I question how well you know the area. The kids (Preeteens and Tweens) all play together in the Cul-de-sac and are well behaved and even bordering on polite when they deal with adults. They're brought up to respect authority which is more than can be said for a lot of areas in Dublin.

However you're right on one thing. Hop in the car and spend sometime in the area. Do that at various points of the day and night. Expect to be challenged though in Brairfield, the locals tend to keep an eye out. Thornville is busier so you'll probably go unnoticed there.

Have a chat to the security guards in Centra and have a word with the Pharmacy staff in both Pharmacies. Make a decision based on your own research. I will admit to knowing the area on the Foxfield side of the tracks better than the Mount Olive/Swan Nest side, however I've never heard tell of any issues and certainly don't feel unsafe wandering up to Tesco.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,159 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I would buy in any of those areas, no problem, though I might just favour the area of Edenmore closer to St. Joseph's and Raheny, or Thornville close to Kilbarrack Road.

Agree with Samuel T. Cogley. Those areas changed oh about 15 years ago now. Like many areas, things change, young lads become fathers, stop acting the eejit etc.. Many people bought their council properties out there and that started the change.

Considering how close you are to the sea, the airport, the parks, many schools, the hospital, fire station, it's a great part of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 emerald-eagle

spurious wrote: »
    I would buy in any of those areas, no problem, though I might just favour the area of Edenmore closer to St. Joseph's and Raheny, or Thornville close to Kilbarrack Road.

Agree with Samuel T. Cogley. Those areas changed oh about 15 years ago now. Like many areas, things change, young lads become fathers, stop acting the eejit etc.. Many people bought their council properties out there and that started the change.

Considering how close you are to the sea, the airport, the parks, many schools, the hospital, fire station, it's a great part of Dublin.

Thanks Spurious. That is the side I would be looking at. e.g. Briarfield, Thornville, Roseglen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

I live in donaghmede, my children go to school in kilbarrack,I have friends in kilbarrack and I shop in kilbarrack all the time, I'm not sure why you would suggest you wouldn't spend hard earned cash there. The people are lovely and always super helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

PS going on pill head safari tomorrow when I go and get my rashers! Shall report back. :D

I was out and about this morning and yesterday. The only thing on pills was a dog wearing a cone that has had surgery so is on painkillers. I did suspect that a few elders with heart problems might be taking pills too.

I was out and about this morning and yesterday. The only thing on pills was a dog wearing a cone that has had surgery so is on painkillers. I did suspect that a few elders with heart problems might be taking pills too.

Absolutely no one about this morning as I was driving out. Yesterday went for a wander when I was picking up Sunday Lunch at about 11:30am - again very few about and no one I could see strung out on anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

I've worked in the area for 10 years and my son attended a creche in the 'rougher ' side of the tracks near Tesco. Think it's a great area with good community spirit and good people. Definitely an area on the up and where there is still some value for money.
    Can be some anti social behaviour at dart station but minor and same as any other station I'd assume.
    Lovely centra near the church and short walk to the seafront. Would prefer the side of tracks closer to the seafront. Over the bridge parking can be issue with the dart station and litter can be a problem too. Also a bad corner from dart to swans nest road in terms of children crossing safely.
    I would probably avoid saint berachs and swans nest personally and thornville would be my pick of areas you mentioned.
    Grange park estate over the tracks is also nice as is woodbine but prices but higher there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

OP

I bought in Edenmore around 10months ago. Cant say a bad thing about the place . Everything i need is on my doorstep and my neighbours are very nice . My partner and i havent seen one bit of trouble . In fact there hasnt even been as much as seeing teenagers sitting on a wall.

I heard a few stories about the shops but i havent seen any trouble there either. My partner has walked home at 2am on Saturday nights and has never felt unsafe

If you need to ask me anything more you can PM me

• Advertisement

OP did you see this one:

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/1-briarfield-villas-kilbarrack-dublin-5/4246493

Décor isn't to my taste but it's one of the better houses in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 JulieMatthew

I'm looking at two properties at the moment- one on foxfield grove and another in St Assams. The foxfield grove property is slighgty bigger and 70k cheaper which is partly due to the fact that it has a north facing garden but also due to the fact that the address (Foxfield) is apparently less well regarded than st Assams. Is it worth it to pay more to live in St Assams?

Foxfield is extremely well regarded! When we were outbid in raheny few months back assams was cheaper than foxfield. Still went over our budget. Would buy in either in a heartbeat! Someone else on here will know if there are school catchment differences between the two but both are excellent areas.
    Don't let a north face garden put you off either if its big enough and not overlooked. We bought with a large north facing and it's been a joy all summer. Bags of sun and thankfully some shady spots. Only issue is bringing light into back of house but front rooms are major sun traps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 JulieMatthew

That's great thank you. I don't know the area so I'm just going on what I have picked up from various sources. Foxfield is in the kilbarrack catchment area for schools and st assams is Raheny. Is there any difference in quality of schools?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,967 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Edenmore is a real mixed bag. Well settled by now with some great people yet someone was shot outs the pub a few years ago.
    Kilbarrack is fine apart from the newer buildings at the dart station. Briarfield is where most of the Snapper was filmed. Very little trouble there.

Foxfield you are in a different league. Middle class homes and a lovely area.

You get good & bad everywhere. Foxfield had a few drug overdoses over the decades, a convicted rapist and a paedophile. This can happen anywhere.

I'm 50 years living in the Raheny area. There was a time where people living in kilbarrack might put Raheny on the CV because they had a better chance of getting a job. I hope that is changed now. Kilbarrack & briarfield have settled down and I wouldnt have a problem moving there. I have been know to drop into the Foxhound once in a while.

I don't know anything about the school situation as my kids are in their mid 20s now

The schools in raheny are well regarded and it would be desirable to be in their catchment area. The kids from foxfield usually go to Bayside which is very large and has an excellent reputation. There is also the gaelscoil which is very hard to get into, an educate together and the parish school although foxfield children do not tend to go to the parish school.
    I personally wouldn't spend 70k more to be in the catchment area for raheny though. Have a good friend loving in foxfield grove and it's a super area. Great neighbours and good community, lovely green and a stroll to the seafront and village. Same of course for assams, you won't go wrong with either.

quote="JulieMatthew;107325332"]That's great thank you. I don't know the area so I'm just going on what I have picked up from various sources. Foxfield is in the kilbarrack catchment area for schools and st assams is Raheny. Is there any difference in quality of schools?[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 68,123 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The pub with the shootout a few years ago is never going to reopen, licence was sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

L1011 wrote: »
    The pub with the shootout a few years ago is never going to reopen, licence was sold.

Kareplan have moved there now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Decuc500

It might be slightly off topic but it drives me mad that the Tesco behind the fire station is called the Kilbarrack shopping centre.

It’s basically as far away from Kilbarrack as it is possible to get and is a lot nearer to Raheny or Donaghmede.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,967 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Decuc500 wrote:
    It’s basically as far away from Kilbarrack as it is possible to get and is a lot nearer to Raheny or Donaghmede.

But it is in kilbarrack as is the school beside it.

Advertisement