Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xiaomi Mi 8

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭skyblueflyer

Mi8 Global Edition, it was only available to French delivery addresses but living in Basel which is on the border I have an address for deliveries there. I was surpised it was French only but couldnt get it delivered anywhere else.

Here was the original deal in French, minus the coupons it came to 281euro and I will get 8% cashback too
    https://www.dealabs.com/bons-plans/smartphone-621-xiaomi-mi8-full-hd-snapdragon-845-6-go-de-ram-64-go-4g-b20-noir-entrepot-france-1344631?page=8#thread-comments

Am I right in saying someone in Ireland can't avail of this offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Am I right in saying someone in Ireland can't avail of this offer?

Correct.

alec76 wrote: »
    Gearbest 11.11 sale
    €335 for the global version, black 6/128
    +€5 for Priority Line shipping ( it used to be the only shipping method to avoid taxes , not sure if it is still works)
    https://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_009493800071.html?wid=1349303#goodsDetail

don't think that priority line means that you won't pay customs vat + collection fee anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 16,485 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I see the 6gb/64gb and 6gb/128gb versions are available from multiple sources now for between 300 and 330.
    Surely better value than the Pocophone at those prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭jefferson73

banie01 wrote: »
    I see the 6gb/64gb and 6gb/128gb versions are available from multiple sources now for between 300 and 330.
    Surely better value than the Pocophone at those prices.

that's a decent price, can you link to the multiple sources please?

• Advertisement

that's a decent price, can you link to the multiple sources please?

Gearbest, geek buying and various AliExpress stores all showing similar pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭alec76

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭skyblueflyer

Has anyone managed to successfully move data from either a Samsung Galaxy or a iphone to any Xiaomi or the mi 8. I'm generally interested in the text messages and the whatsapp messages.

Has anyone managed to successfully move data from either a Samsung Galaxy or a iphone to any Xiaomi or the mi 8. I'm generally interested in the text messages and the whatsapp messages.

Same for every android phone.
    Google Drive for WhatsApp
    Google Drive and SMS Backup for the text messages

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

I'm thinking of replacing my Moto X Style with one of these.

From reading through the thread Gearbest seems to be the best place to buy one cost wise.

Just to be sure, I should get the global version?

I'm seeing different prices from different sellers on Gearbest this morning, is there any benefit going for the slightly more expensive option?

https://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_009493800071.html?wid=1349303#goodsDetail

https://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_009671428742.html?wid=1349303

• Advertisement

I'm thinking of replacing my Moto X Style with one of these.

From reading through the thread Gearbest seems to be the best place to buy one cost wise.

Just to be sure, I should get the global version?

I'm seeing different prices from different sellers on Gearbest this morning, is there any benefit going for the slightly more expensive option?

https://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_009671428742.html?wid=1349303

Going with gearbest you're likely to have to pay vat and customs collection fee.

unless it's coming from an eu warehouse of gearbest but Gearbest offer very few products through that

No customs here

https://www.eglobalcentral.eu/xiaomi-mi-8-6gb-64gb-dual-sim-blue.html

Another question. I am aware of the issues with Netflix not been able to display in HD.

does this affect casting? Can I still cast to my TV in HD, or is that limited to what can be displayed on the phone's screen?

There is no problems with casting , no limits there ,if your TV supports NETFLIX 4K HDR , mi 8 ( or any other phone/tablet) will cast it.

I got the run around from eGlobal Central who canceled my order this morning.

Honorbuy has the 64GB in an EU warehouse for €366 including delivery.

Is it worth going the extra €50ish for 128GB version?
    If I get the global version, is there a socket provided which will work in Ireland/UK?

Highly recommend following tempered glass

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/YBNNjBy

It is sit as it should, you wouldn't notice it here , it looks like a part of a phone.
    ( You must have some experience to do it right though , some room with zero dust or dust protective screen above the phone
    while you're doing it)
    Had some cheap glass for the week , what a difference....

Just pulled the trigger on mi8 from HK Goldway.
    Am I correct in assuming that to get google pay working I will need to flash with the Xiaomi.eu rom when I get it?

If you've bought Global version, everything working out of box( HK GOLDWAY selling both) , if it is Chinese version than you have to flash it ..
    Global version cost more obviously,....

So thanks to a combo of over confidence and poor advice ;)
    I've managed to soft brick my Mi 8 and relock the bloody bootloader!

Phone now only boots to MiRecovery.
    I managed to get an active connection and flash latest global via Xiaomi ADB.
    The process completes and gave a "Successful" message but unfortunately the handset itself just reboots to MiRecovery.

Unable to get the phone to connect to Mi PC suite (Think it needs a USB 2 connection and mine is 3 only?!)
    Similar situation with MiFlash, the phone won't actually flash. Gives an unable to find boot file error.

I'm thinking I'm shagged, particularly as the bootloader has relocked.
    Anyone share any hope with me?

Was it Global or Chinese version of the phone?

alec76 wrote: »
    Was it Global or Chinese version of the phone?

The only ROM that would successfully complete flash on Xiaomi ADB was the latest global.
    But given it was supplied open box and flashed with bootloader unlocked I'm fairly sure it's the Chinese version.

• Advertisement

You’ve bought Chinese version with Global ROM installed ,never unlocked bootloader yourself then, it was done by supplier.
    You have to flash official Chinese ROM , I believe it is only solution , then apply for bootloader unlock with in your own MI account.
    ps. Never buy Chinese version again, €20 difference not worth it

I've requested the bootloader unlock again via my own MI account.
    Currently the official chinese ROM fails the server check on XiaomiADB, the only ROM that completes the flash process in that tool is MI8Global_V10.2.2.0.PEAMIXM but when that completes, and after issuing the "format-data" command the phone reboots to Mi Recovery with the "This MIUI version cannot be installed on this device" message.
    I'm hoping that once the the 360hrs are up that I can flash the chinese ROM via XiaomiADB as that confirms bootloader lock status via the server?
    And get up and running from there?
    The only other thing I can think of at present is shorting the EDL and forcing a fastboot flash?
    But I dont want to open the phone if I can avoid it?

So I have attached 2 screenshots from XiaomiADB.
    I can get the device to flash in this tool, the only image that will flash is the 10.2.2.0 Global.
    The output confirms the server allows this image, and confirms a "successful" flash.
    However when the Phone reboots it just loops back to MiRecovery.
    I have also tried flashing the latest China Rom, but this fails out as not allowed by server.

Looks like I cant get authorisation for EDL flashing on my Mi account anymore either :/
    I'm usually so careful with this stuff too, but my own confidence screwed me over and only compounded my mistake!

472449.png
    472450.png

Answering myself here.
    But!
    If someone finds themselves in a similar situation. If you don't have EDL authorisation on your MI account.
    It's a matter of taking things a little further than I'd usually like.
    You need to open the handset and bridge the testpoint while connected via team viewer or similar to one of the "service" providers offering to EDL flash via their own MI account.
    If anyone is considering using one of those types of service, please be aware of the security implications of allowing someone remote access to your PC.

I got the global version about 3 weeks ago and am very happy with it so far.

I've restored my Nova Launcher settings from my old phone as I wasn't mad about miui.

Apart from Banie and his woes with flashing the phone, has anyone installed a custom rom?

Looking at xda developers, there are a few pixel roms in development which I am thinking about flashing.

Very happy with MIUI 10.2.2.0 , it is fast , face unlocking ,NFC ( contactless payments) working fine .
    Stock Camera in Night mode decent , although I’ve installed Google Camera too ( BSG mode)
    ps .Full screen gestures just amazing, won’t go for buttons anymore :)

Back up and running and must say...
    A fantastic bit of hardware!
    Delighted I plumped for this :)

banie01 wrote: »
    Back up and running and must say...
    A fantastic bit of hardware!
    Delighted I plumped for this :)

Fair play to ya, I'd have given up much earlier.

Was it handy enough in the end?
    Will you flash a custom rom at some point?

Fair play to ya, I'd have given up much earlier.

Was it handy enough in the end?
    Will you flash a custom rom at some point?

Plenty of experience in messing with phones and to be honest, if I'd read up better before I started I'd never have ended up in the situation in the 1st place.
    I'll probably end up running either the xiaomi.eu ROM with magisk, or one of the Google experience ROMs long term.

• Advertisement

Just installed the new Xiaomi.eu 10.3 MIUI ROM.
    Very happy to report Google assistant and voice match unlock are now working fully and voice detection.

Only running it a few hours so no bugs to report, but it does fix the main issue I had with older MIUI.

Advertisement