Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xiaomi Mi 8

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Mezcita wrote: »
    Mi8 SE hands on here:

Think I'll bite. Will update when it turns up.

Whoops. Totally forgot about this.

Went for the Mi8 SE in the end via Gearbest. Moved over from my old borked Mi4 SE.

Pros:
    Great battery - Get nearly two days out of it.
    No issues with GPS.
    Camera is much better than I expected. Not great in low light conditions though.

Cons:
    Lack of NFC and expandable storage might be a problem for some.
    No headphone jack is probably the biggest issue.

Ping over any questions if you have any.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 2old4this

Hi,

Any bother with delivery from gearbest?

I have the Mi 5S, thinking of upgrading to Mi8.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

https://thesolutionshop.global out of stock all week, dispite saying they'd have the Mi8s in this week.

Anyone suggest anywhere else I can get online (that has it in stock!) and I won't get hit with customs.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭TheBigEvil

https://thesolutionshop.global out of stock all week, dispite saying they'd have the Mi8s in this week.

Anyone suggest anywhere else I can get online (that has it in stock!) and I won't get hit with customs.

Try here
    https://thesolutionshop.global/product-category/phones/xiaomi/

TheBigEvil wrote: »

The one I want, Mi 8 (6GB + 256GB) – European Version, is out of stock.

• Advertisement

Ahh ok, that's a shame. It says instock until you choose a colour. Sorry about that!

TheBigEvil wrote: »
    Ahh ok, that's a shame. It says instock until you choose a colour. Sorry about that!

No worries. Was the same on Monday, Ben from support said they expect stock this week. Roll on Friday and now it's 'we don't know when we'll have in stock'

Wouldn't normally bother me but I need a phone asap, my Note 4 is bollixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Got a 128gb Mi8 delivered from AliExpress for €400 including €36 in Import charges. It took about a week to be processed but it was delivered in 4 days after being shipped.

Fantastic phone so far. Don't hate the notch as much as I feared. I quite like MIUI as well which is handy. Great camera. Sound is decent and excellent over Bluetooth.

Really happy with it so far anyway. It feels like a flagship phone should feel like IMO.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Got a 128gb Mi8 delivered from AliExpress for €400 including €36 in Import charges. It took about a week to be processed but it was delivered in 4 days after being shipped.

Fantastic phone so far. Don't hate the notch as much as I feared. I quite like MIUI as well which is handy. Great camera. Sound is decent and excellent over Bluetooth.

Really happy with it so far anyway. It feels like a flagship phone should feel like IMO.

Great stuff. Wear it well :)

Im very tempted to get one. Have been hoping someone on here got one. Keep us updated on it after youve used it fully for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Cyclepath

DDC1990 wrote: »

Very good price! I chickened out in the end and went for a OnePlus 6 straight from their site. Ordered Monday afternoon and it arrive Wednesday lunchtime.

• Advertisement

seems to be in stock in blue

https://thesolutionshop.global/product/mi-8-6gb-256gb-global-version/

good colour imo

glasso wrote: »

Very tempting. Now i have my eye on the Mi 8 Pro :rolleyes:

Very tempting. Now i have my eye on the Mi 8 Pro :rolleyes:

going to be a fair bit more cash tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭breeno

What's the general consensus on this phone these days? It seems to be available for around 350 at present which looks good bang for your buck. Does it perform well? The camera reviews I've seen are good, what's people's experience of the camera quality? I always try to catch pictures of my toddler who never stops moving so blurry pics are all too familiar. Would this camera be any good in that scenario?

Also is there an mi9 due anytime soon or will this be the best bet for a while?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

2old4this wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks

No issues but I'm in the UK who are very lax on stopping things for import duty. Got through without being stopped.

Mezcita wrote: »
    No issues but I'm in the UK who are very lax on stopping things for import duty. Got through without being stopped.

when they see a phone or a tablet or something like that going through an post here it's very likely to be stopped.

there was mention of a seller on aliexpress here that claims that if you use their dhl service for $26 that it will not be stopped.

think that someone on here bought it that way and it was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭alec76

2old4this wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks
    Their "Irish Priority Line"
    shipping used to be Tax Free for customers ( they were shipping goods in bulk to Ireland and simply using AnPost Prepaid Express packaging after, for the "local delivery") I am not sure if it is still the case though.
    I've bought Xiaomi Vacuum Robot last year , using Irish Priority Line , paid no taxes , An post Express label with Portlaoise return address,with the parcel no sign of Chinese origin

alec76 wrote: »
    Their "Irish Priority Line"
    shipping used to be Tax Free for customers ( they were shipping goods in bulk to Ireland and simply using AnPost Prepaid Express packaging after, for the "local delivery") I am not sure if it is still the case though.
    I've bought Xiaomi Vacuum Robot last year , using Irish Priority Line , paid no taxes , An post Express label with Portlaoise return address,with the parcel no sign of Chinese origin

would be interested to hear if this still works.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭skyblueflyer

breeno wrote: »
    What's the general consensus on this phone these days? It seems to be available for around 350 at present which looks good bang for your buck. Does it perform well? The camera reviews I've seen are good, what's people's experience of the camera quality? I always try to catch pictures of my toddler who never stops moving so blurry pics are all too familiar. Would this camera be any good in that scenario?

Also is there an mi9 due anytime soon or will this be the best bet for a while?

Cheers

Where are you getting the Mi8 for 350?

That was on eglobal recently. Cheapest i can see in stock now is 382 less the 6 quid discount they give you for entering your email. 376. Not bad at all.
    The kimovil link on the first page is offering prices of 341 from gearbest but you're running the risk of customs charges ordering that way I believe. Open to correction though.

• Advertisement

Preordered on AliExpress few days ago ( 11.11 sale)
    Global Version (proper , not Chinese flashed with global Rom )
    Blue 6/128gb for €368 included DHL tax free delivery.

That's a good deal. Will DHL avoid customs or is it a case of just hoping it gets through?

That what seller promised, No Tax for EU orders with DHL delivery
    ( there are 3-4 sellers on AliExpress providing similar service)
    if I hit by customs I’ll just open the dispute with AliExpress and refund any taxes paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭skyblueflyer

Preordered on AliExpress few days ago ( 11.11 sale)
    Global Version (proper , not Chinese flashed with global Rom )
    Blue 6/128gb for €368 included DHL tax free delivery.

That seems like a good deal, do you have a link for it? Is the supplier reputable?

Gearbest 11.11 sale
    €335 for the global version, black 6/128
    +€5 for Priority Line shipping ( it used to be the only shipping method to avoid taxes , not sure if it is still works)
    https://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_009493800071.html?wid=1349303#goodsDetail

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Bought one today for 280 euro from Aliexpress from France, didnt need it but been looking at Xiaomi phones for long enough now to finally see.

Bought one today for 280 euro from Aliexpress from France, didnt need it but been looking at Xiaomi phones for long enough now to finally see.

This is incredible value, is it Mi 8 or perhaps Mi 8 lite ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

This is incredible value, is it Mi 8 or perhaps Mi 8 lite ?

Mi8 Global Edition, it was only available to French delivery addresses but living in Basel which is on the border I have an address for deliveries there. I was surpised it was French only but couldnt get it delivered anywhere else.

Here was the original deal in French, minus the coupons it came to 281euro and I will get 8% cashback too
    https://www.dealabs.com/bons-plans/smartphone-621-xiaomi-mi8-full-hd-snapdragon-845-6-go-de-ram-64-go-4g-b20-noir-entrepot-france-1344631?page=8#thread-comments

Advertisement