Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asked by garda to move on

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Tigger wrote: »
    ?
    I can think of many many more satisfying ways of spending a day than in court fighting a public order charge . Do you think it’s fun to be in court?

If I'd nothing to loose (I.e. wouldn't care about a criminal record, had no dependant family, financially secure) I'd like to see what view the judge would take.
    Rewinding a bit. I'd stay calm and keep asking under what grounds I'm being asked to move on. I wouldn't accept the section 8 primary reason and politely tell the guard that if he thinks this is worthy of the courts time then let's go there.
    I'd also be discretely filming it and put it on YouTube after being charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Lmklad

source wrote: »
    Section 21 (2) (b) Public Order

This is for controlling access to an event. Not moving around inside the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭source

Lmklad wrote: »

Op wasn't in the event, op stopped when passing to ask the people in the medical tent who was playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Lmklad

Op wasn't in the event, op stopped when passing to ask the people in the medical tent who was playing.

Correct but he made no mention of crossing a barrier.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 409 ✭✭Sassygirl1999

we crossed no barrier as it was an on street event,the event itself was behind a barrier/gate in blanchardstown shopping centre but the tent was on the side walk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

In the last few months I've seen a junior member (Traffic Sergeant) pull the Section 8 move, be ignored as the instructee was aware of the statute and then drop the issue and leave. I suspect they use it regularly as most won't question it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

I’m in a minority here but I would automatically assume that I was being asked to move along in the interest of my own safety.
    I also associate the “straight out of Templemore “ barb as evidence of having a chip on ones shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭source

Correct but he made no mention of crossing a barrier.

Barrier can be erected up to 1 mile from the event under subsection 1, op could well have been inside the barrier without even realising they were inside it.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭DwightSchrute1

ED E wrote: »
    In the last few months I've seen a junior member (Traffic Sergeant) pull the Section 8 move, be ignored as the instructee was aware of the statute and then drop the issue and leave. I suspect they use it regularly as most won't question it.

A junior member who is a Traffic Sergeant, that has to be a paradox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Barrier can be erected up to 1 mile from the event under subsection 1, op could well have been inside the barrier without even realising they were inside it.

At an event your probably always 1 mile from any barrier.

• Advertisement

splinter65 wrote: »
    I’m in a minority here but I would automatically assume that I was being asked to move along in the interest of my own safety.
    I also associate the “straight out of Templemore “ barb as evidence of having a chip on ones shoulder.

please explain your reasons for this 'chip on ones shoulder' barb/insult about me, there was two of us there and both were feeling the same way
    On another one of my threads you spoke about your neighbour like this :

"His mother ( landed gentry) marched down to the barracks the "

I think you sir have a chip on your shoulder about your neighbors and other innocent civilians

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

You didn’t have ticket for event, so should not be at event

Security is difficult enough without people hanging around outside....no idea of size of event but even if you are not drunk the staff might have a couple of hundred drunk people to monitor

It’s a simple request from the Garda....

I don’t see the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

OP, have you found any resolution or validation in any of the posts so far? I hope this thread comes to some conclusion before reaching 10 pages.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    You didn’t have ticket for event, so should not be at event

Security is difficult enough without people hanging around outside....no idea of size of event but even if you are not drunk the staff might have a couple of hundred drunk people to monitor

It’s a simple request from the Garda....

I don’t see the problem

ok you move along then your time here on this thread is finished

ok you move along then your time here on this thread is finished

Haha

Based on your attitude the Garda was 100% right

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Wish they'd move on the gangs of teenagers blocking footpaths and intimidating people in their own areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,333 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

mickdw wrote: »
    I'd just follow instruction.
    Cops have enough on their plate nowadays at large gatherings considering terror events etc that they are well within their rights to keep areas clear and avoid random people hanging around outside.

Really ??
    In Ireland ...???

Media frenzy much ?? :rolleyes: :confused:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

greenspurs wrote: »
    Really ??
    In Ireland ...???

Due to the terror attacks they have to check bags etc more than ever....

Are you really confused about that?

Haha

Based on your attitude the Garda was 100% right

u are creating a nuisance now

Due to the terror attacks they have to check bags etc more than ever....

Are you really confused about that?

ireland hasn't had a terror attacks since the IRA

• Advertisement

greenspurs wrote: »
    Really ??
    In Ireland ...???

redacted

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

ireland hasn't had a terror attacks since the IRA
    So should we wait until after the first one until we start taking precautions? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

A junior member who is a Traffic Sergeant, that has to be a paradox.

I was gonna say !

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    So should we wait until after the first one until we start taking precautions? :rolleyes:

the way you talk about terrorism is so fearmongering like you are scared for your life. I actually feel sorry for people like you because ISIS have invoked so much fear into you that u feel like u cannot live life without worrying about a terrorist attack, even though you will probably never be involved in one.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

the way you talk about terrorism is so fearmongering like you are scared for your life. I actually feel sorry for people like you because ISIS have invoked so much fear into you that u feel like they cannot live life without worrying about a terrorist attack, even though you will probably never be involved in one.
    Wow, that's quite a lot you're projecting on to me on the basis of one simple question!

There have been terrorist attacks all over Europe at this stage. It's not unreasonable to assume that they might try one here some time. Precuations like the Gardai being well prepared mean that we don't have to go around being scared of an attack the whole time. But that might mean the odd inconvenience to individuals now and then, like being moved on from in front of a crowded venue, and oh no, we can't be having that.

And to be fair, you have no idea why they moved you on. Did you ask?

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Wow, that's quite a lot you're projecting on to me on the basis of one simple question!

There have been terrorist attacks all over Europe at this stage. It's not unreasonable to assume that they might try one here some time. Precuations like the Gardai being well prepared mean that we don't have to go around being scared of an attack the whole time. But that might mean the odd inconvenience to individuals now and then, like being moved on from in front of a crowded venue, and oh no, we can't be having that.

And to be fair, you have no idea why they moved you on. Did you ask?

he directed/ordered me to leave, if I didn't I'd have broken the law! I left
    your brain likes stories more than statistics. The chances of you dying in a terrorist attack is extremely slim, almost 0 but it's one of your biggest fears it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 37,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Did you ask him why he wanted you to move along.

There may have been a very good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

I'm walkng past/outside a concert near a medical tent, I'm interested to know who is performing, I stop a short while to ask one of the staff at one of the tents 'who's playing', before they can answer a garda makes a b-line in my direction asks me whether am I waiting on someone, I say no, he tells me to move on, I do...but I'm wondering at what stage of the 'move on' instruction I break the law if I don't move on, is it an outright refusal that's the crunch point or ignoring his instruction of is a slow movement in no particular direction enough .....

I can see how that would annoy you. The Garda sounded a bit over zealous but I can understand why he did what he did. Crowds can build up very quickly and it can make a big difference if he can keep the area people free as much as possible as long as possible. Of course, wanting a quiet life would be the Garda serving himself more than the public.

As for the public, they are no angels either. It would be more in their line to work, volunteer or study than to be wasting money and encouraging some over-hyped so-and-so to be making noise pollution. People in this country have so much debt! Repaying debt should be the priority, not going to concerts.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Did you ask him why he wanted you to move along.

There may have been a very good reason.

I queried his instruction, he pointed his finger northwards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

please explain your reasons for this 'chip on ones shoulder' barb/insult about me, there was two of us there and both were feeling the same way
    On another one of my threads you spoke about your neighbour like this :

"His mother ( landed gentry) marched down to the barracks the "

I think you sir have a chip on your shoulder about your neighbors and other innocent civilians

In my opinion people who use the expression “little upstart just out of Templemore/teacher training college/law school/medical school etc” have an issue with authority figures due to having no professional authority themselves and resenting those that do being in a position to issue orders to, and impose rules on, others.
    The quote you mention from a post of mine concerns the well to do mother of my neighbor assuming that her standing in society (as she sees it) would ensure that her son, who had broken the law, wouldn’t have to suffer the consequences of breaking the law.
    If you think that she was perfectly right to assume that, then your entitled to your opinion, but I don’t agree.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement