Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

By all intents and purposes this process has been kept very much under wraps and it’s no harm. No one seems to know whose getting it, compared to the shambles that went on last year it’s refreshing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

By all intents and purposes this process has been kept very much under wraps and it’s no harm. No one seems to know whose getting it, compared to the shambles that went on last year it’s refreshing

Indeed. But it still doesn't stop the bullsh1tters posting their scoops on this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Supposedly Cahill got the job to be confirmed tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭whiteandblue

Just to put into context, I have no idea how true the rumours are but will comment on Cahill's supposedly imminent appointment.

A brave but very interesting appointment, think it's a positive move. Cahill was won minor and 2 under 21 All-Irelands, and in 2018, he managed to turn around a tough defeat to Cork in the Munster final to win the All-Ireland against the same opposition. He is also bringing Michael Bevans as coach (supposedly) who is very highly thought of in Tipperary as a coach.
    Cahill has no history or loyalty to any players within Waterford. All will have to prove their worth and earn their place on the panel and work off a clean slate.
    The make-up of the backroom team will be interesting as I'm sure he will look to include people with good knowledge of the players around the county as a starting point to make up a training and trial panel, giving all players around the county a chance who are felt good enough. Possibly a few members with intercounty experience would be valuable assets as well.

For all the criticism we give the county board, if true, I think it would be a good appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭spideyman92

Just to put into context, I have no idea how true the rumours are but will comment on Cahill's supposedly imminent appointment.

A brave but very interesting appointment, think it's a positive move. Cahill was won minor and 2 under 21 All-Irelands, and in 2018, he managed to turn around a tough defeat to Cork in the Munster final to win the All-Ireland against the same opposition. He is also bringing Michael Bevans as coach (supposedly) who is very highly thought of in Tipperary as a coach.
    Cahill has no history or loyalty to any players within Waterford. All will have to prove their worth and earn their place on the panel and work off a clean slate.
    The make-up of the backroom team will be interesting as I'm sure he will look to include people with good knowledge of the players around the county as a starting point to make up a training and trial panel, giving all players around the county a chance who are felt good enough. Possibly a few members with intercounty experience would be valuable assets as well.

For all the criticism we give the county board, if true, I think it would be a good appointment.

I wonder does a Cahill appointment rule out Seán Power ever getting the job. Has similarish success Either he doesn't want it or players / County board must not want him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I wonder does a Cahill appointment rule out Seán Power ever getting the job. Has similarish success Either he doesn't want it or players / County board must not want him?

I think only Sean Power can really influence his future chances if he actually wants the thing.

If he does, best thing he can do is produce success at a high level elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,851 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

https://twitter.com/liamcahill16?lang=en

out potential new bosses Twitter page for anyone who wants to follow it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭Gavlor

PTH2009 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/liamcahill16?lang=en

out potential new bosses Twitter page for anyone who wants to follow it

That’s not Henry’s page ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Relhcstirt

Now its King Henry, apparently!!

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Lads looking for big name , ya can't get much bigger in gaa. But does that mean he's an intercounty standard manager. Let's hope so.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Definitely not Henry. Munster man

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Heard on the radio now that Henry emerging as favourite. Would be a great appointment in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Deiseen

hardybuck wrote: »
    I think only Sean Power can really influence his future chances if he actually wants the thing.

If he does, best thing he can do is produce success at a high level elsewhere.

Does the bar need to be higher for our own? He has no less success than Liam Cahill but he has to succeed elsewhere before he can be thought of for the job.

If it's up to Sean Power than that's fine but I would absolutely hate to think there are external influences stopping him from taking the job.

the one thing that we’ve actually been told is that it’s not Queally. Hard not to feel bad for him. It’s the third time he’s went for the job and been knocked back.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭DeiseDawg

the one thing that we’ve actually been told is that it’s not Queally. Hard not to feel bad for him. It’s the third time he’s went for the job and been knocked back.

https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/waterford-set-to-appoint-tipperary-u20-boss-as-new-senior-hurling-manager-38530591.html

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

As we await the announcement of Waterford’s next hurling manager, it is useful to consider the qualities one would like to see in a manager at this level. For me, there are two essential requirements – an ability to motive the players collectively and a game plan which makes the best use of the available players.

These two factors are interrelated – it is hard to motivate players in the absence of a credible game plan. I suspect that this was one of the main problems with Pádraig Fanning’s management. Players who were accustomed to performing at the top level knew they had little chance of winning anything with the way Fanning had them playing.

In the early stages of the Munster championship this year, the game plan was mainly about giving short puckouts to the corner backs who then hit a long ball down the line to a corner forward. While it was refreshing after the McGrath years to know that at least there was likely to be a corner forward at the end of these balls, this kind of tactic was unlikely to make much impression on the well-organised defences you get at this level.

In the last championship game against Cork, Fanning had small and light players in the middle of the park running at Cork defenders. Time and again they were double-tackled and lost possession. Fanning’s other tactic that day was to hit high balls down on the full forwards who, as we know, are not very good at winning high incoming ball, especially when double-marked, as they usually were in this game.
    You don’t need forwards able to win their own ball in order to win All-Irelands. What you need is a game plan which is suited to the talents of the available players. The Cork team which contested four All-Irelands in a row between 2003-2006, winning two of them, had a game plan based on a powerful half back line which was able to win ball and transfer it to their midfielders, Tom Kenny and Jerry O’Connor. These were powerful runners able to draw defenders and then transfer the ball to supporting sharp-shooting forwards. They won the All-Ireland finals of 2004 and 2005 despite scoring just one goal between the two games.

When Michael Ryan was Tipperary manager, he favoured a long ball game despite the fact that at least two of his marquee forwards, Seamus Callanan and Bubbles O’Dwyer, just didn’t want to know when it came to contesting high balls against hard-marking defenders. When Liam Sheedy came in, he devised a game plan designed to make best use of these players’ undoubted talents. This involved winning clean ball in defence and transferring it to Noel McGrath in midfield. McGrath, in turn, either played long balls into space, usually towards the corners, for the inside forwards to run onto, or played balls in behind the half backs which the inside forwards would come out to meet, taking the ball on the hop. Once these players got the ball in hand, they could be devastating. Tipperary obviously worked very hard on this plan in training, with heavy use of decoy running to create space into which the ball was played.

Some people on this forum have been saying that we don’t have the forwards to win All-Irelands. Anyone who observed Patrick Curran and Stephen Bennett coming up through the under-age ranks will be well aware of how deadly they can be with the ball in hand around the goal area. They key is to devise a game plan which can get them into these situations. We saw glimpses of this at minor and under 21 level. The enormous ability of these players was wasted in the McGrath years, while there was little improvement under Fanning.

A half back line featuring Austin Gleeson and Tadhg de Búrca would give us the foundation for getting good ball into the midfield area, and from there it is a question of developing the tactics to get the inside forwards into situations where they can do maximum damage. A start would be made by placing Maurice Shanahan at wing forward and getting the ball into his hand to allow him to run at defences. Anyone who places him at full forward shouldn’t be allowed anywhere near intercounty management.

Another key task for the incoming manager will be the ensure that the best players in the county are in the first team panel. Another of Pádraig Fanning’s mistakes was to stick with certain players who clearly are not up to the required standard. There were better players who were on the panel but not getting game time, and there were better players who were not on the panel at all.

I remain firmly of the belief that there is as good a base of quality players in Waterford as in any county, with some outstanding players among them. Properly organised and motivated, and with everyone on board, we should definitely be able to challenge for top honours.

• Advertisement

Any update on the redevelopment of Walsh Park?

Relhcstirt wrote: »

Think it's still awaiting funding

It would be a bit of a delima for the CB if the funding comes in before the end of the year because were due to host Cork and Tipp next summer in the Munster Championship and if work began on WP early 2020 we would have to play our home games away again. We can are league home games in Fraher field but Championship games prob not

Whole thing seems a bit farcical work should be started by now

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

Relhcstirt wrote: »

Is this a wind up ?

You do realize they are 20 years trying to do it. It will never be done. A slap up effort.

Lipstick on a pig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Another excellent post Giveitfong. I love reading your posts and usually agree with all you have to say. You have a great understanding of the game and like you I believe the likes of the Bennett's, Patrick Curran and Maurice are more than good enough if we played to their strenghts. Whoever you are, the new Waterford manager could do alot worse than have you on board in some capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Another excellent post Giveitfong. I love reading your posts and usually agree with all you have to say. You have a great understanding of the game and like you I believe the likes of the Bennett's, Patrick Curran and Maurice are more than good enough if we played to their strenghts. Whoever you are, the new Waterford manager could do alot worse than have you on board in some capacity.

Excellent as usual contribution from this man/lady......I’ve posted similar opinions in the past (but not as well written) about the talent and ability that we have but got more or less ridiculed by majority of the regular negative posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Lingoweet913

Is this a wind up ?

You do realize they are 20 years trying to do it. It will never be done. A slap up effort.

Lipstick on a pig.

Amazing we’ve some positive news and some come back to trash talk instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Potentially Cahill is a great appointment. Has an excellent coach coming with him so all he needs is someone of the likes of Ken Mcgrath and Paul Flynn to come in with him. Flynn being the main driving force behind both our recent underage successes would be the ideal candidate as he has knowledge of the younger lads on the squad. The reality is that all he need do next year is win one championship game and he will have been more successful than Mcgrath and Fanning in 2018/2019

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Also happy with Cahill if he gets the job. That tipp under 20 team this year played some great hurling.

Flynn wasn't involved when we won the minor all Ireland but was when we won at under 21. Agree he would be a very good addition. His articles in the news and star paper are excellent. Being involved with the likes of down (successfully) and Carlow so lots of coaching experience. Over the Waterford under 16s this year with Dave Bennett I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

Amazing we’ve some positive news and some come back to trash talk instead.

Nothing positive yet. Been here before. See Matty Kenny, Pat Ryan, Brendan Cummins. It is at least a step in right direction

Questions remain. Plenty of them. Such as how are we financing this? Or should we say what well known person is!

Why is our board a totally unsustainable business entity that allegedly needs handouts for us to do fundamental things like put decent mgmt teams in place!

This is like the time people spent months congratulating the board for cutting the grass in Walsh park & having the place looking respectable / acceptable.

Bread and butter stuff. These conversations don’t happen in any other county!

Dunno much about Cahill, people in the know seem happy, so do players, that’s good enough for me, how they play I couldn’t care less once they are winning again, but I do feel Peter Queally was sent down the river.

Again.

Which he doesn’t deserve.

A slap in the face to great serveant.

• Advertisement

Nothing positive yet. Been here before. See Matty Kenny, Pat Ryan, Brendan Cummins. It is at least a step in right direction

Questions remain. Plenty of them. Such as how are we financing this? Or should we say what well known person is!

Why is our board a totally unsustainable business entity that allegedly needs handouts for us to do fundamental things like put decent mgmt teams in place!

This is like the time people spent months congratulating the board for cutting the grass in Walsh park & having the place looking respectable / acceptable.

Bread and butter stuff. These conversations don’t happen in any other county!

Dunno much about Cahill, people in the know seem happy, so do players, that’s good enough for me, how they play I couldn’t care less once they are winning again, but I do feel Peter Queally was sent down the river.

Again.

Which he doesn’t deserve.

A slap in the face to great serveant.

Agree on Queally. Why is it public knowledge that he’s been told he’s not getting it after his proposed backroom team had already been leaked in the public domain? Seems like it’s been very badly handled

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement