Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

absenteeism.........how do people get away with it?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

TheDriver wrote: »
    It's the self certified days whereby someone always takes the 7 in 2 years

7 days in 2 years is ridiculously little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

7 days in 2 years is ridiculously little.

It's too much if it's just for 'duvet days'.
    I have a friend in the Public Service (not teacher), their boss came to them and told them they had a sick days to use up before the end of the year, and when would they like to take them (just for planning purposes!)

Could you imagine if your principal came up to you and said that :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 badhairday

I worked with someone the OP describes in a school about 10 years ago. The teacher in question was constantly out- as in on a weekly basis. While I appreciate I wasn't privy to her medical file, she was young and seemingly fit. She also bizzarely seemed to take great delight in telling everyone how she knew all the tricks re: playing the system etc etc. She was pretty well despised by all the staff.

Hopefully this type of abuse can't happen today? What certainly does happen (in my school at least) is teachers taking 'personal' days off whenever they feel so they can go on holiday! I'm pretty sure this is not what personal days are for. One colleague took 3 days off to coincide with a match and the following celebrations (drinking). The same person is an ardent union man and apparently sees no irony when he constantly complains with 'the plight of teachers' etc! I find this practice particularly questionable. I appreciate there are times e.g. medical appointments, funerals etc that someone might need a day off but certainly the culture where I work is to ask colleagues to cover classes as the teacher is going on holidays, attending a stag or a sporting event. It's so brazen and is apparently endorsed by the management. The time off for weddings thing is also pretty incredible- you have 3 months free in the summer/other holidays to get married, I can't see why anyone in any profession, should be given time off for this. As mentioned, in my experience some of the main offenders are people who ironically complain the loudest...a dose of self-examination needed perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

badhairday wrote: »
    What certainly does happen (in my school at least) is teachers taking 'personal' days off whenever they feel so they can go on holiday!

Badhairday we might work in the same school!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 badhairday

ha! yes perhaps! It seems to be the practice in most schools as far as I can see.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Personal days seems to be more of a secondary thing. In primary, we only get "personal" or EPV days if we do CPD over the summer. These are hugely important for say, attending a funeral/wedding/graduation etc. but it means your class are split and you have to leave work for them.Any primary teacher I have worked with will tell you it's more hassle than it's worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Culture around personal days is a local issue specific to the individual school. Some ETBs don't allow them at all and most are fairly strict about them. What's described here is absolutely nothing like what I have experienced. We have to apply to the BOM in writing for a personal day and it must be approved in advance at a BOM meeting. They are often rejected. Generally they are granted for child's confirmation or communion and not much else. I had two granted in twelve years - both for sitting exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Personal days are also a hassle to take at second level. In my school we need to ask teachers to use their free classes to cover so if you can't get your classes covered you're a no-go.

I actually disagree about the use of personal days bring criticised here. I remember a few years ago I was running it by my principal and I said it was for my brother's graduation and she cut me off before I finished. She said, and she's right, that it's irrelevant what it's for. There's provision for it. Leave at primary level is different anyway. It includes graduation of immediate family or weddings of near relatives, these all need to be covered by personal days in second level.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 John0000

Sometimes people need to take a day due to illness or god knows what and I have no problem with that at all! I do have a problem when two teachers get married during School time. I think it is a bit Irish. Maybe my judgement is clouded because I worked with a girl who was getting married and seemed quite gleeful telling people she or hubby to be wouldn't waste their summer holidays to get married. Same girl took a half day everyday up to the Friday when she got married and then day of the holidays had cover arranged it seemed. Her attitude towards her exam students who had projects due in was very poor to say the least. If my memory serves me right she was out a few days the week after the holidays, the poor thing had a virus as she was so run down!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

John0000 wrote: »
    Sometimes people need to take a day due to illness or god knows what and I have no problem with that at all! I do have a problem when two teachers get married during School time. I think it is a bit Irish. Maybe my judgement is clouded because I worked with a girl who was getting married and seemed quite gleeful telling people she or hubby to be wouldn't waste their summer holidays to get married. Same girl took a half day everyday up to the Friday when she got married and then day of the holidays had cover arranged it seemed. Her attitude towards her exam students who had projects due in was very poor to say the least. If my memory serves me right she was out a few days the week after the holidays, the poor thing had a virus as she was so run down!!

Who authorised all those half days?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 John0000

Trying to remember but I think she was allowed sort it between herself and colleagues!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

John0000 wrote: »

Trying to remember but I think she was allowed sort it between herself and colleagues!

If that’s the case then staff needed to start refusing her cover classes. I don’t think she’d get away with that in many schools

Advertisement