Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus issues

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 168 ✭✭dublinbuster

There is no such thing as senior or junior when it comes to holiday allocation.
    All drivers are treated the same.
    Drivers get turned down for holidays all the time.

Missing buses is due to the weather, who the hell would want to spend any extra time on a hot sweaty smelly bus?
    Drivers have a life outside of work, the sun is shining they want to do other things beside work, so don't do OT.
    There is no conspiracy, no Union disruption, no mismanagement, drivers are just doing their shift, not doing OT and going home to enjoying the sun and having a social life

• Registered Users Posts: 10,032 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

If you guys have issues on the 39 routes,you should try slumming it over this side of Blanchardstown on the 38 routes. The 38bs in the morning run when and if they want to, so unreliable. Ditto any type of 38 in the evenings from the city centre, last Tuesday there was a 39 minute wait on O'Connell Street at 6.20pm. Not the nicest place to be waiting. And don't get me started on the weekend services.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I can tell you for a fact number one issue is traffic congestion, dwell times at stopsand so much more.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Caranica wrote: »
    If you guys have issues on the 39 routes,you should try slumming it over this side of Blanchardstown on the 38 routes. The 38bs in the morning run when and if they want to, so unreliable. Ditto any type of 38 in the evenings from the city centre, last Tuesday there was a 39 minute wait on O'Connell Street at 6.20pm. Not the nicest place to be waiting. And don't get me started on the weekend services.

I regularly used to commute on the 38 in the past and it was always an unpredictable bus even when there wasn't traffic, it was first thing in the morning where a bus should never have problems, even on the first departures of the day from near the terminus

It was very miserable and the most annoying thing was seeing your bus drive out of service roughly the same time it was due and you knew that it was your bus since it was the same bus and the same driver that turned up the day before but it seemed to be a lottery if it would run in or out of service.

Complain directly to Anne Graham nta, Ray Coyne db CEO, tds in area as much as can.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Complain directly to Anne Graham nta, Ray Coyne db CEO, tds in area as much as can.

And the head of CIE aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Needs to be an independent survey carried out on each and every dublin bus route and cross referenced for a full quality assessment some of the bus routes are downright mayhem 5 buses in quick succession then none for 45 minutes.

Services need to be split in two directions over parts of the day make the city centre the terminus and send the buses in the opposite directions to say on the number 16 the airport northbound and Ballinter south bound rather than having the bus go cross city send them from an origin point in each direction it would increase productivity and reduce journey times anyone that needs to travel cross city offer a cross city fare.

We need less routes not more . No wonder DB are struggling to allocate staff they've 143 routes listed on their web site!

Del2005 wrote: »
    By law staff have to get 2 weeks holidays in a row every year. If you have to give holidays and there is no other staff to cover the shift how is the person supposed to get their legally required holiday that you told them they have to take at a certain date? In a company with staffing shortages and bad conditions for new entrants you don't want to be loosing the staff you already have by forcing them to cancel holidays they've already paid for.

In the private sector sone companies close for 2 weeks in the summer and a week over Christmas so their customers aren't coming first.
    I've never heard of this is Ireland . What law?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

I've never heard of this is Ireland . What law?

This is true, but is not absolute, it is subject to at least 8 months work per leave year and also collective agreements etc.

S19 (3) of the Organisation of Working Time Act 1997:-
    (3) The annual leave of an employee who works 8 or more months in a leave year shall, subject to the provisions of any employment regulation order, registered employment agreement, collective agreement or any agreement between the employee and his or her employer, include an unbroken period of 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭howiya

42 minute wait for a 14 at Eden Quay. Got to love public transport. Hails taxi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

We need less routes not more . No wonder DB are struggling to allocate staff they've 143 routes listed on their web site!

The number of routes does not mean each route has the same number of drivers allocated to it. You could have 50 routes and still need the same level of buses and drivers.

Some Dublin Bus routes only require one driver and bus, others have over 60. Also, some routes have drivers which would cover multiple routes, for example, some driver shifts on the 46A would also cover the 46E, 47, 63, 118 and 142.
    Some drivers also work universal shifts which means they could be driving one route in the morning and another in the evening.

It’s easy to say, “they have 143 routes, no wonder they are struggling to find staff”, but the fact is that each of those routes are required across the network. There are plans to improve routes with Bus Connects which might see less route variations but actually result in more busies and more drivers required.

Out of all DB drivers what percentage would be marked in on a route. If drivers are waiting 11+ years to be marked in I'd imagine it would be a small number. I do think the marking in system sounds a bit riddiculous spare drivers should in my opinion at least be given a weeks schedule of what shifts they will be doing and perhaps be given an extra allowance if there is any changes to it to fill in for any drivers out sick at short notice etc.

KD345 wrote: »
    The number of routes does not mean each route has the same number of drivers allocated to it. You could have 50 routes and still need the same level of buses and drivers.

Some Dublin Bus routes only require one driver and bus, others have over 60. Also, some routes have drivers which would cover multiple routes, for example, some driver shifts on the 46A would also cover the 46E, 47, 63, 118 and 142.
    Some drivers also work universal shifts which means they could be driving one route in the morning and another in the evening.

It’s easy to say, “they have 143 routes, no wonder they are struggling to find staff”, but the fact is that each of those routes are required across the network. There are plans to improve routes with Bus Connects which might see less route variations but actually result in more busies and more drivers required.

The one or two a day buses such as the the 46e should really be done away. They should be replaced by extra departures on more frequent routes.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    The one or two a day buses such as the the 46e should really be done away. They should be replaced by extra departures on more frequent routes.

Why? It carries good numbers and adds much needed capacity at peak times on the Stillorgan Road. No matter what you send down the the N11 at peak will be full, whether it’s a 46a or 46e.

Don’t judge a route by its timetable. I’d suggest taking the 116 some morning from Whitechurch and see how quickly a VT fills up.

The once a day services are there for a reason and usually carry regular passengers from local areas before joining main corridors to add capacity. If they were not picking up numbers they’d have been cancelled during Network Direct. Stand on Leeson Street bridge and observe the 46e. It is full every morning.

Why? It carries good numbers and adds much needed capacity at peak times on the Stillorgan Road. No matter what you send down the the N11 at peak will be full, whether it’s a 46a or 46e.

Don’t judge a route by its timetable. I’d suggest taking the 116 some morning from Whitechurch and see how quickly a VT fills up.

The once a day services are there for a reason and usually carry regular passengers from local areas before joining main corridors to add capacity. If they were not picking up numbers they’d have been cancelled during Network Direct. Stand on Leeson Street bridge and observe the 46e. It is full every morning.

I know it gets a good loading but surely it would make more sense to run the two departures as a 46a from DL to the Phoenix Park as it would serve more people. I would say most of it's users are from Whites Cross onwards and more people would use it coming from DL. People at the bottom of Newtownpark Avenue can use the 4 and people at the top can use the 46a or 145.

The 116 is more of a schools service than anything else. It should be term time only. Waste of resources running it in the summer months especially with the shortage of drivers.

howiya wrote: »
    42 minute wait for a 14 at Eden Quay. Got to love public transport. Hails taxi

where is nearest toilet to terminus on south and north side?
    what time do pubs open at?
    do you expect female drivers to squat and piss on side of road?
    simple little thing like needing to piss can cause a bus to be delayed, zero consideration given to this when choosing terminus of route

Out of all DB drivers what percentage would be marked in on a route. .

heard 60/40 split

heard 60/40 split

In favour of?

In favour of?

marked in/spare

marked in/spare

Surprised so 60% of drivers are marked in meaning they've served for around 15 years. How come if drivers are leaving their droves how come DB have such a high staff retention rate?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Surprised so 60% of drivers are marked in meaning they've served for around 15 years. How come if drivers are leaving their droves how come DB have such a high staff retention rate?

The staff leaving in their droves I would suspect would be those who are newer to the company. When any kind of seniority system is in place, the biggest problem you will have is being able to retain recently hired staff as they get disillusioned easily as everything is stacked against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

devnull wrote: »
    The staff leaving in their droves I would suspect would be those who are newer to the company. When any kind of seniority system is in place, the biggest problem you will have is being able to retain recently hired staff as they get disillusioned easily as everything is stacked against them.
    Yeah, the only drivers I met who left Dublin Bus, had been in the company for less than 3 years. Not that I know many ex-DB drivers who weren't retired, but it matches my limited observations.

Drivers *can* get marked in a fair bit sooner if they go for more unpopular routes, I've heard of drivers being marked in after 5 years service. What those routes are? I don't know.

Yeah, the only drivers I met who left Dublin Bus, had been in the company for less than 3 years. Not that I know many ex-DB drivers who weren't retired, but it matches my limited observations.

Drivers *can* get marked in a fair bit sooner if they go for more unpopular routes, I've heard of drivers being marked in after 5 years service. What those routes are? I don't know.

It use to be 5 years or less over 12 years ago but no longer like that.

I never equated the number of routes with the difficulty finding staff .

My point was . While in theory you could have 1 route with 50 drivers or 50 routes with 1 driver. Each route you add increases the HR overhead , increases the impact of holidays or sickness. If you've 1 route with 50 drivers you can have 60 drivers hired , allow 5 to be on holiday and 5 a spares. If you've 50 routes with 1 driver , each route needs a driver to cover it , this could be a pool of spares but it's a bit much to expect the spares to know every route so maybe you need 20 spares. What happens when 1 drives is on holiday and the spare is sick etc.

Every Dublin Bus depot has a large pool of spare drivers who are trained on all routes, and most other drivers from each depot would have good knowledge of them too. Staff training is not the problem here, neither are the route variations.

While you quote 143 routes, there are realistically less than 70 ‘routes’ for drivers in Dublin Bus, with multiple routes treated as one duty. For example, a driver on the 42 would also work some of their shift on the 43, similar with the 7/7a, and routes like the 26, 66/a/b are all under the one duty. To the passenger they are all different but internally it’s a lot more simple.

Every Dublin Bus depot has a large pool of spare drivers who are trained on all routes, and most other drivers from each depot would have good knowledge of them too. Staff training is not the problem here, neither are the route variations.

While you quote 143 routes, there are realistically less than 70 ‘routes’ for drivers in Dublin Bus, with multiple routes treated as one duty. For example, a driver on the 42 would also work some of their shift on the 43, similar with the 7/7a, and routes like the 26, 66/a/b are all under the one duty. To the passenger they are all different but internally it’s a lot more simple.

Fair enough. It would appear it's not so much of an issue as I'd guessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,340 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I never equated the number of routes with the difficulty finding staff .

My point was . While in theory you could have 1 route with 50 drivers or 50 routes with 1 driver. Each route you add increases the HR overhead , increases the impact of holidays or sickness. If you've 1 route with 50 drivers you can have 60 drivers hired , allow 5 to be on holiday and 5 a spares. If you've 50 routes with 1 driver , each route needs a driver to cover it , this could be a pool of spares but it's a bit much to expect the spares to know every route so maybe you need 20 spares. What happens when 1 drives is on holiday and the spare is sick etc.

I suspect the passengers would be screwed either way as their scheduled bus will not be showing up at their stop.

Then these passengers would have a choice to make afterwards.

If they wait for another bus at their stop; they will take it.

If they have a train service near to them; they will take it.

If they have a LUAS near to them; they will take it.

They could ring up their loved one or friend for a lift.

If all the above options fail; they will probably walk if they are able for it.

I suspect the passengers would be screwed either way as their scheduled bus will not be showing up at their stop.

Then these passengers would have a choice to make afterwards.

If they wait for another bus at their stop; they will take it.

If they have a train service near to them; they will take it.

If they have a LUAS near to them; they will take it.

They could ring up their loved one or friend for a lift.

If all the above options fail; they will probably walk if they are able for it.

I'm not sure how this relates to my post or what you're even trying to say?

you heard wrong
    nothing in the sentence you posted is true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭howiya

where is nearest toilet to terminus on south and north side?
    what time do pubs open at?
    do you expect female drivers to squat and piss on side of road?
    simple little thing like needing to piss can cause a bus to be delayed, zero consideration given to this when choosing terminus of route

When I started waiting the wait was 51 minutes. I gave it a few minutes thinking a 14C might start at Eden Quay. I gave up at 42 minutes.

A gap of 51 minutes is not one driver needing a toilet break when there should be a bus every 20 minutes.

And no I do not expect female or male drivers to go to the toilet on the side of the road.

Advertisement